FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Radio advice- yep I know the warnings

Post Thanks / Like

Radio advice- yep I know the warnings

Hi guys need advice from the group- again
    Commited to adding a radio to the build. Im running Gas- n pipes so hopefully I will hear it. What I'm looking for is advice from others that have done it successfully. Specifically which reciever,amp,subwoffer,speakers, and if using am/fm wherr do you put the antenna

Thanks
    Nick

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nick,

I installed an Infinity Marine stereo with four speakers in my car and it works great, as long as the car isn't running.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcrTYb...saAu_ZEALw_wcB

You can see it about 1:30 - 1:45 minutes into the attached video and the antenna is a wire type style which is under the cowl behind the dash:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

In retrospect, this is the one thing I wish I had NOT added to my car.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-06-2019 at 10:37 AM.

3. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I swore I wasn't going to put any sort of stereo in my car. I swore up and down.. not gonna happen.
    then.. I did it. lol. I love the sound of my car.. but.. I actually commute to work in it, and some times in the morning, I want to hear some tunes on the ride.
    Plus.. cruising through the hills with my wife, she always brought along her little battery speaker.. so.. I did it for her too.
    FYI.. I can easily hear the tunes in around town traffic, and even at 70mph highway speeds.. though.. at speed.. the wind noise is brutal.
    But.. and this surprised me a little, I wear ear-plugs for longer trips, and highway trips... with earplug, the tunes are actually easy to hear, and the base is not too bad.
    I don't regret for a moment putting in these speakers. Especially since it's all but invisible, and it cost so little.

Like I said, I went stealth.
    Can't see the speakers, no head unit, out-of-site amp. I also went bang-for-the-buck. For the cost, this setup works just fine.
    - Planet Audio AC600.2 600W 2 ch amp $53
    - TaoTronics Bluetooth Receiver Module. Includes volume control $24
    - Fusion Marine 6" Speakers $100
    - Angled RCA->3.5mm Stereo Cable $6

Speakers are behind the panels, and behind the carpet. The carpet doesn't muffle the sound at all.. or.. at least not enough to matter.

It's a pretty cozy fit.. mounted on a piece of 1/2" MDF for stability an depth. Also, if you look on the dash, just left of the red start button. You can see the bluetooth receiver module.

The amplifier fit upside down in the top of the passenger side foot box. Easy access for fine tuning.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

5. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I added one too. Never had a car without tunes...never will. I've got much of the same kind of setup as Skidd, except not so 'stealthy'. Here's my list:

Kenwood KAC-M8008 Marine Amp
    Polk MM1 6.5" Marine Speakers (Cockpit Wall)
    Polk DB501 5" Speakers (Door)
    Rockville RHR2 Marine BT Head Unit
    Rockville RW10CA Pancake Sub

One thing I would change is going for the BT amplifier instead of a head unit. Only downside is that there aren't many options from which to choose, which is why I went this route.
    Last edited by cv2065; 07-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

7. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went over the top but hey the whole car is over the top.

Pioneer AVH4200NEX - (Apple CarPlay)
    Polk 6.5" Speakers (Console Sides)
    Polk 5.0" Speakers (Below Door)
    Satellite Antenna (Rear Deck)

System is good with factory pipes to 60MPH+ when wind noise overwhelms it. The COYOTE is very quiet for what it is at constant road speeds & very loud under load. System is Blue Tooth equipped so I can pipe it into my Blue Tooth hearing aids at that point if I need to run the Interstate. Important for WAZE Leo warnings & sometime directions. Touch screen makes easy switch to satellite, phone, Pandora etc.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

9. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh heck yeah! I totally forgot about navigation!!! Just for that alone it was worth it. Fire up Google maps navigation, and put down the phone and go! I hadn't even planned for how handy that is.

11. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Receiver: Kenwood KMR-M25BT (marine receiver) - AM/FM, Bluetooth, Pandora, USB. Planning to just music stream so no antennae planned. Installed in a custom center console.

Amp: Kenwood KAC-M1804, compact 4 channel amp. Installed below dash, passenger side.

Rear speakers: Kicker 4 inch coaxial speakers (marine speakers), 150 watts. Installed on the rear wall between the shoulder harnesses

Front speakers: Kicker 4 inch coaxial speakers (marine speakers), 120 watts. Installed in custom speaker boxes below the door hinges.

I'm no audio expert but I'm happy with the sound. I was expecting that the seats would somewhat muffle the rear speakers but was pleasantly suprised to find it wasn't the case, at least to my untrained ear. Wife is happy with the sound so objective complete. Haven't tried it with the engine roaring yet, so can't comment on that.

77F86F42-5DDA-4E34-8BA2-7D257A20BB8A.jpg

21457483-7B0D-4817-B977-479A61905988.jpg

3D37D448-D448-452D-A258-D1B695B8DB9A.jpg
    Last edited by RJD; 07-07-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

13. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post