Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1 vs 2 remote reservoirs

Post Thanks / Like

1 vs 2 remote reservoirs

Does the cobra front and rear brake setup need a dual reservoir? I understand that with dual masters a line failure is isolated to the single master cylinder, but is there any reason to upgrade to one for each master? I won’t be racing this car.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dual reservoirs are not a race thing. The Feds mandated dual braking systems in JAN 1968 (FMVSS 105-68). Every car sold in the US since that time has been equipped with a dual braking system that includes two separate reservoirs. They typically look like one single reservoir but there is a dividing wall that effectively separates the front and rear M/Cs into two totally separate systems. Should a complete failure of one system occur the other has reserve braking fluid and will continuing working.
    If you use one reservoir for both your M/Cs then should one fail and leak the only reserve brake fluid you have is what little is in the line from the tee to the working M/C. If the working system has no leaks then you will probably be OK. But if you have to pump the brakes for any reason you better hope that single line that holds your reserve fluid holds enough.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. I understand all of that which is why I ask... why ship a pair of reservoirs for a hydraulic clutch, car knowing full well 3 is more appropriate, unless they know something about the components I don’t.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    Yep. I understand all of that which is why I ask... why ship a pair of reservoirs for a hydraulic clutch, car knowing full well 3 is more appropriate, unless they know something about the components I don’t.
    Most of the Ford Folks (Not Dark Side Guys) use a cable operated clutch.

I've got mine separated with a Tilton 3-Chamber reservoir.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-576
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-06-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Seth, so you know all those details. Now you need to decide the minimum reserve fluid capacity you're comfortable with. If you want to run just one reservoir and split it between two M/Cs, you need to determine how long of a hose between the tee and the M/C meets your minimum reserve capacity. For instance, let's say you have a 3/4" Wilwood GS compact style M/C. That has a 1.25" stroke and will displace .55 sq in of fluid per stroke. If you want enough reserve capacity you can at least pump the brakes twice you need to have ~ 5" of 3/8" hose to support the second pump.

I've had a complete brake system failure on an old single M/C system. I can tell you that when it fails you will be pumping as fast as possible and as many times as you can before impact. I will always use separate reservoirs and even then, I go through the same drill to determine what my minimum reserve fluid capacity I'm comfortable with and order reservoirs with that minimum capacity.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s the math I needed. Thanks. Lots of Japanese cars use a single Res system which I see lots of at work being turned into dirt track cars. But this isn’t a dirt car...it’s smaller, faster and lighter.

I’ve thrown away the old single pot masters in a number of 50s era projects I’ve built. This one from a 53 Chevy is my favorite. Clutch and brake hinge from the master. Yikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Found this post to be interesting.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like

OTB Triple

I'm planning to use these: OTB_6444.jpg
    It may be overkill, but I'll feel better.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    Using the same ones Peter. They work good and look great.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh226 View Post
    I'm planning to use these: OTB_6444.jpg
    It may be overkill, but I'll feel better.
    If it works and you like the look then go for it.
    It's all about YOUR build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s an interesting piece of information I learned today. A brake failure with a balance bar style pedal set up will yield virtually little to no brakes regardless of the reservoirs. When you step on the pedal with a balance bar set up and no pressure on one side, the drained side will go all the way forward leaving the short side to travel substantially less than normal.

It depends on a limit in articulation to stop travel enough to build some pressure.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why the gap setting on the balance mechanism is important -- it limits the free travel. This setting is detailed in the instructions that come with the Wilwood pedal assembly. And also why it's important that your brake pedal is capable of providing full M/C piston travel.

I've seen both of these overlooked and that's an accident waiting to happen. Set the system up correctly and what you're describing won't happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without a doubt. These cars are rocket ships and getting the brakes just right is critical. We can’t just depend on the manual.

My balance bar gap was way over the .20-.25 recommendation and I wouldn’t have set it without reading the Wilwood info....
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k