Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Russ Thompson turn signal ...almost there

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson turn signal ...almost there

I need some help from the gurus in the group. I am installing Russ Thompson turn signal with a Ron Francis wire harness in my MK4. After a false start and a blown fuse I think I've got a close using the diagram pictured below. I've got everything( left, right, parking, hazard)to work except the headlight dimmer switch in the stalk. it works on low beam and if I hold the button in it will Flash to pass but then the headlights turn off. click the button again and they turn on low beam not sure what Im doing wrong. Im not sure if I damaged the vw relay. thoughts from the group?

15624619360608920807505052952361.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Trace your high beam wire from the headlight back to the relay that switches between hi and lo. It sounds like you have everything correct but the circuit to the Hi beam element of the bulb.
    Not to rain on your parade but you wouldn't be the first to have issues with the VW relay - there are many posts about its "flaky" operation.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

3. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like wires to 56, 56A and 56B are on the wrong terminals.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

5. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had that exact same problem so I rewired it as shown below and it still did the same thing as yours. I got a new vw relay and now it works. Pull the headlight switch and low beams are on, hit the button on turn signal high beams come on, hit the button again back to low beams. Note I did not want flash to pass. So maybe I didn't have to rewire just a new switch.

diag.png
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

7. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    I had that exact same problem so I rewired it as shown below and it still did the same thing as yours. I got a new vw relay and now it works. Pull the headlight switch and low beams are on, hit the button on turn signal high beams come on, hit the button again back to low beams. Note I did not want flash to pass. So maybe I didn't have to rewire just a new switch.

diag.png
    Changed the VW relay and everything works yaay