Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Spindle castle nut torque- how?

Post Thanks / Like

Spindle castle nut torque- how?

Ok, how do I get 75/80 lb-ft of torque on those nuts when the spindle is flopping all over the place?

I thought of making a long bar and bolting it to the steering arm holes, but is there an easier way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    IIRC I wedged a 2x4 between the spindle and frame and that stabilized it.

3. Thanks PaulRSchmidt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That worked, but there were two parts to the trick- also insert the upper shaft into the spindle.
    2F3140D3-238B-499F-8120-EE7EE67A8F40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The trick now becomes how to get a torque wrench on the upper nut. Guess I’ll have to go get some low profile sockets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this a lot. Claw wrench socket set attached to my torque wrench. Just remember the wrench has to be 90 degrees to the torque wrench handle to read accurately. https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-9710M-8...ps%2C82&sr=8-7
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Forget torqueing them. Think back to threads about getting these to come apart. Tighten by hand as tight as you can, hit the other end of the wrench w/ a big hammer if you like, and install the cotter pin. Heck, if you do get the perfect torque on them the cotter pin probably won't line up, so then what? You will need to move the nut enough to get the pin through so there goes your perfect torque. If you want to buy a new tool, get a 1/2 drive impact flex joint and an impact socket, and tighten the nut w/ your impact wrench.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

8. Likes Fixit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craig has it! Give them a good oomph using a 16” breaker bar or the box end of a big azz combination wrench with an equally sized box hooked on the open end. It’ll be plenty tight

Jeff

10. Likes Fixit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gudntight, or 2farts, no torque wrench needed
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. Got an extra long wrench, cranked it really tight, then a little more to clear the cotter pin hole. I don’t think that’s coming off any time soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRSchmidt View Post
    Yup. Got an extra long wrench, cranked it really tight, then a little more to clear the cotter pin hole. I don’t think that’s coming off any time soon.
    Bingo, that's how it's done.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint