FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Shorter Radiator

Post Thanks / Like

Shorter Radiator

I'm looking to get a little more clearance between the radiator and the hood so that I can add a recess to the hood for cosmetic reasons. Even an inch shorter would be a big help. Perhaps maybe even one that has the tanks on the side instead of top and bottom. Does anyone have one they have used and know fits?

Than ks

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a universal radiator. You can get them in almost any size / shape.

IMG_20170802_170324.jpg

My Build Thread
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks perfect, moving the fill nozzle to the corner instead of the middle take cares of all my problems. Happen to have a part/number link for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    When the radiator tanks are on the top and bottom, and the radiator is on pitched forward, the air can flow without being redirected. With the radiators with the tanks left and right, how do you order them with the correct pitch / angle of the radiator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    When the radiator tanks are on the top and bottom, and the radiator is on pitched forward, the air can flow without being redirected. With the radiators with the tanks left and right, how do you order them with the correct pitch / angle of the radiator?
    I don't think I understand your question. The tanks have nothing to do with the air movement. Air moves through the fins on the outside of the radiator, and whether the tanks are on the top/bottom or side, the air moves through the fins from front to back. The tanks hold the water, which is moved by the water pump under pressure, so it doesn't matter if the tanks are on the side or top/bottom with regards to functionality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    That looks perfect, moving the fill nozzle to the corner instead of the middle take cares of all my problems. Happen to have a part/number link for that?
    I used a Griffin Be Cool universal radiator. There is information on mounting it in this post.

I got a model that had an angled outlet tube. If I was to do it again I would get the model that has a straight outlet tube. I ordered the angled one because I thought the frame would be too close, but after installing it I'm sure the straight tube version would work and it would be easier to install and seal off.

Look around at their web site, there are many variations in size, inlet / outlet location and angle. etc.. I went for a dual pass dual core radiator since my 818R is a track only car and builds a lot of heat. If you are building a street car you probably do not need as large of a unit.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 07-09-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Scirocco radiator in front for my AWIC. I used a universal V8 Griffin radiator for the engine. Both mounted vertically.

rad installed.jpg

rad.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John, I looked at your build thread and for some reason completely missed the link. Sorry for making double work on you.

Post Thanks / Like
    For starters, read this information [https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/r...c-principles/]. Then consider how the air is flowing through the fins of a radiator. In a vertical orientation, the direction will be what it wants to be. With a horizontal orientation, the fins are acting to redirect the air flow to follow the direction of the fins. This is not a problem if the ducting is doing the redirection in the most efficient way possible as the article shows. Note that they are taking the air from as low as possible to angle it up at an angle, and then using the air for additional down force as it is exiting at an angle.

Post Thanks / Like
    For starters, read this information [https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/r...c-principles/]. Then consider how the air is flowing through the fins of a radiator. In a vertical orientation, the direction will be what it wants to be. With a horizontal orientation, the fins are acting to redirect the air flow to follow the direction of the fins. This is not a problem if the ducting is doing the redirection in the most efficient way possible as the article shows. Note that they are taking the air from as low as possible to angle it up at an angle, and then using the air for additional down force as it is exiting at an angle.
    Got a 404 on your link, but are you talking about the the angle the radiator is installed at (ie perpendicular to the ground vs at an angle?) or a top tank vs side tank layout?

Post Thanks / Like
    That site appears to dynamically generate pages, so my apologizes for the 404. There are two points that I was trying to make. The first is that with the flat cooling tubes going left-right on a radiator designed to be mounted vertically is more challenging to angle it forward. On the 818 the radiator is angled forward. When you swap out the vertical tubes for horizontal, each tube now becomes an air deflector, and redirects the air. The second point I attempted to make is that there are ways to make it work. The article I tried to reference covered this, as well as how to design the sheet metal of the inlet and outlet to the radiator to redirect the air to pass through creating the most efficient cooling, least resistance to the air [and car], and use the air to provide more down-force. On the other hand, custom radiators can be made where the cooling tubes are at a custom angle. For race cars that have two radiators mounted on each side of the car, the radiators used have the tanks on the sides, are mounted vertical, and angled back.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you swap out the vertical tubes for horizontal, each tube now becomes an air deflector, and redirects the air.
    I respectfully disagree. All modern radiators are packed with cooling fins between the cooling tubes. This essential makes the radiator core a honeycomb design which will redirect the air flow no matter if the tubes are vertical or horizontal.

No matter what type of radiator you use, you should place it perpendicular to the air flow for highest efficiency. Having said that, everything is a compromise and the 818 needs to have a slanted radiator to fit the space allowed. Seal the radiator off properly and you will force the air through the core and the angle will not matter much.

13. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't find the article you referenced, but after 4 years of engineer school and 15 years working with industrial heat exchangers, I agree with John. The way modern radiator fins are designed, the difference between vertical and horizontal tubes is so small that is it practically non-existent in a street car. Maybe on a race car engineering to the nth degree you might see some improvements, but not on the street.