BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone Using PWM or Variable Speed Fan controller with a Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone Using PWM or Variable Speed Fan controller with a Coyote

Hello all, I am new to the FF forum. Although I don't have a FF car I do have a coyote swapped 69 Cougar. It seems you guys, by far, have done the most pioneering work with the crate coyote installs. Every time I google something on a crate coyote issue at least one FF thread pops up.

Anyway, I have a BeCool aluminum radiator with dual electric fans as part of my swap. I want to quiet the fan noise by going to a variable speed fan controller that slowly runs the fans up in speed as needed rather than blasting them on and off. I'm looking at the DCC PWM controllers but am not sure if there would be any issues taking the fan control away from the ECU on the coyote.

Has anyone done this on here and if so, how did you wire it in/out?

Thanks for reading

69 Cougar 2.jpg. _dsc9317_36821072311_o.jpg
    Last edited by Lxg44; 07-11-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Remove pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay has anyone used an aftermarket fan controller in lieu of the ECU control?

Post Thanks / Like
    Crickets...I guess no one has, but I’d like to know this too. My fan comes on at 82C and doesn’t shut of until I turn the key off. Would like to know what you find out.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check out the Vintage Mustang Forum. There are a few of us doing Coyote swaps into Mustangs and at least one Cougar. I am not far enough along to have run my engine yet, but others there have. I don't recall anything said about running a variable speed control. You might consider using the output of the ECU as a trigger to the variable fan speed controller. The ECU is looking for the temperature to drop, not how fast the fans are running. I would imagine the ECU would continue to energize its fan output until it sees the temperature drop below its threshold. Sounds like an interesting science experiment which I would like to know the results of. I am building a Coyote powered 70 Mach 1 restomod. My radiator is from C&R and has dual Spal fans. I could see that the fan noise could be a bit much with both fans running.

5. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post