Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Side Pipe Rattle - With Video - After MANY attempts to correct.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Side Pipe Rattle - With Video - After MANY attempts to correct.

On the Hot Rod power tour, I developed a large rattle in my PS side pipe area. Coincidentally (and fortunately for me), it happened in Jeff Kliener's neck of the woods. I went to his house, and he was nice enough to help me re-attach a loose side pipe bracket. And, to do it properly this time. Thanks again, Jeff.

The rattle went away for the next couple of weeks, but then it returned. Thinking that I now know what is wrong, I crawl under the car expecting to see if I can find a loose fastener, but the fastener is still installed properly.

I say to myself, "Well, I guess the 'inside' side pipe tube may have come loose as I've read on the forum by others. It must be rattling around in there." So I run up some fasteners on the underside of the side pipe to hold the inner pipe in place. But the rattle is still persistent.

Each time (yes, it's been several times now) that I make some sort of adjustment to the hanger bracket, the noise goes away for a couple of hours but returns. I increased the diameter of the fastener thinking that maybe the smaller one had lost some of it's grip. But that hasn't helped.

I actually took the side pipe completely off to redo the hanger, place rubber in between the hanger and frame, physically shake the side pipe to see if I could hear the sound of the inner pipe rattling(I couldn't). I ran fasteners up there anyway. I took off the hanger and reinstalled.

I'm using 1.5" #10 self drill and tap fasteners to hold all this in place. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! It's got to be in that hanger area somehow.

Are my fasteners too long and hitting the steel frame somehow? It didn't rattle for the first 15,000 miles with those fasteners.
    Are my fasteners not long enough to hold the inner side pipe tube? I can feel the fastener going into both pieces.

Both videos were taken on the same 10 mile stretch home.
    In the first video (55mph), The Rattle comes when lifting my foot off the gas (listen to the motor vs when the rattle appears) https://youtu.be/gmvzdotIIDo

In the second video, I'm staying a consistent 35 mph. The rattle is constant too. https://youtu.be/K5fgslNmBEU

Jeff and I under the car while he shows me the problem and how to solve a month ago:
    IMG_9139 by D. R., on Flickr

Excessive Fasteners in the bottom of the side pipe after getting frustrated with the constant rattling! Didn't help - may not be the issue.

2019-07-10_10-02-45 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 07-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos