BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Crazy Squeak In The Rear of The Car

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Squeak In The Rear of The Car

Shortly after beginning the driving of my MK4 I developed a squeak in the rear. I had read about the different possibilities, Sway bars, Control Arms, etc... All of mine have been properly lubricated and actually re-lubricated with no luck in getting ride of the squeak. So after the Hot Rod Power tour and about 5600 miles now, I decided to really get under there and find this squeak. I actually found it by accident, while cleaning the underside of the car after many miles of rain driving. While cleaning the bottom of the fuel tank, the squeak showed up. Watch the video and the photos show how I have addressed the issue. I sure hope this help others that could have this same issue.

Be sure to turn up your speakers for that awesome fingernail on the chalkboard sound...

So once I discovered exactly what was causing the squeak I came up with the idea of putting a good thick rubber cushion between the tank straps and the rear edge of the tank flange where the metal to metal rubbing was causing the squeak. I found that my left over piece of 3/8" fuel line would make the perfect addition to my build. I cut two pieces of fuel line, each 1" long and then slit the both. The idea is that the slit will go over the edge of the fuel tank and provide insulation between the tank and strap. One added note, I also put the insulator as far around on the top of the tank edge as I could so that it is actually sandwiched between the black plastic cap that you put in the tank support tube. So now it is held very firmly in place by to points, the edge of the tank and the strap as well as the support tube. Tightened up the tank straps and there is now zero squeak. Problem Solved...

In this photo you can see the inside of the tank strap and where it was rubbing against the edge of the tank causing the squeak.
    IMG_6331.jpg

A close up shot of the modified fuel line / insulator
    IMG_6333v1.jpg

How the insulator fits in place
    IMG_6334.JPG

Job completed...
    IMG_6336.JPG

Well almost completed... I did take this opportunity to take it all apart and put a coat of paint on the bolts to stop the rust. Just not before I took these photos.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

2. Thanks Joel Hauser thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see the plastic spacer, insulator that's installed in the tank down leg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I don't see the plastic spacer, insulator that's installed in the tank down leg?
    I noticed the same thing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse the question... What is a "Tank down leg"? Thanks Rich.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Excuse the question... What is a "Tank down leg"? Thanks Rich.
    That's what I call it, it's the 3/4" tube that drops down, and the fuel tank is pushed up to it when you tighten the tank straps. What would you call it? It really doesn't support the tank, but I guess you could call that, it aligns the tank to the correct position. They are supposed to have plastic caps inserted in them. No rattles or squeaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it is kind of hard to see the two side by side... The plastic/vinyl cap is in there on both sides... Thanks for looking out...

IMG_6336v2.jpg IMG_6336v1.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I call it, it's the 3/4" tube that drops down, and the fuel tank is pushed up to it when you tighten the tank straps. What would you call it? It really doesn't support the tank, but I guess you could call that, it aligns the tank to the correct position. They are supposed to have plastic caps inserted in them. No rattles or squeaks.
    Ah.... Got it. Thanks. Makes sense now. I must of been reading to fast and thinking too slow. I hate it when that happens.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip. I had the same squeek in the back of my car. Did the same repair, hadn't driven it yet, will let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywy View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I had the same squeek in the back of my car. Did the same repair, hadn't driven it yet, will let you know.
    Mine has worked great, no squeak and unless you know it is there and trying to look for it, you would not see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    BadAsp427, had it out last night can't believe it, squeek is gone. I looked for awhile for that one. Thx. again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywy View Post
    BadAsp427, had it out last night can't believe it, squeek is gone. I looked for awhile for that one. Thx. again.
    Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just fixed the squeak coming from my gas tank. I never would have found it without this post. Thanks