FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: First start, 352 Boss stroker, Speedmaster stack injection and Fast EZ-EFI2

Post Thanks / Like

First start, 352 Boss stroker, Speedmaster stack injection and Fast EZ-EFI2

For your enjoyment. Seriously, this was the very first ever attempt at starting my engine. I think it went pretty good.

https://youtu.be/PcFu69lULL4

2. Likes Geoff H, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! What cam is in that thing? Certainly anodized your headers quickly.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds and looks amazing - congratulations! Same question as Troy - what cam do you have?
    Thanks,
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    The cam is the Ford Performance M-6250-X303. And yes, it sounds great. Runs a little high on idle, gotta look into that, but all good otherwise. Couldn't have asked for a better first start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice! Engine looks great, sounds amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Made my day, hearing that. I know it made yours also.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, i actually looked at the description of the cam at Summit, says it does not work with Speed Density EFI. Please dont tell my engine that, it doesn't know. The cam came with the engine, but i swapped out the carb for the EFI. My engine builder over here said that cam would be perfect, he had used the same cam on a different build, so i'll just wait and see how it goes.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great but do yourself a favor get rid of the Fram oil filter ! They used to be top notch but no more. Read reviews online and talk to engine builders. Use a Ford or Wix Filter ! Please !

10. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, yeah it came with the engine, but thanks for the info. Won't be using it for long anyway. I think a genuine Ford filter will look much better than that ugly orange thing anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a beast. Congratulations.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The sound is fantastic. Going to check the base timing tomorrow, couldn't see the 20btdc mark today, so have to bring out my white marker pen. The FAST EFI doesn't "see" the base timing, just works out from what it's told. Hopefully getting that checked should bring the idle speed down a bit, it's a tad too high. Also need to adjust the clutch, it is hard to shift. But all in all not bad for a very first start with all new everything..

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Had to lookup a 352 as was not familiar with it. Originally considered a 390 way back when as I thought it was the starting point on FE’s but obviously was wrong.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for not being clearer. It is not a FE engine. It's a Ford Racing Boss 302 stroked and bored .060 over, which according to my engine guy should yield about 352 Cubic inches. Haven't attempted the math myself, not my forte.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!! Your build looks really good! Sounds GREAT!

Way to go!!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'll see if I can make a new video that is a bit better than this one, just wanted to post my first start, obviously a bit excited by it!

Post Thanks / Like
    She sounds and looks Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    Sorry for not being clearer. It is not a FE engine. It's a Ford Racing Boss 302 stroked and bored .060 over, which according to my engine guy should yield about 352 Cubic inches. Haven't attempted the math myself, not my forte.
    Thanks for this explanation! The only 352 I remember was the engine in my 1960 Galaxie. (That car lasted one year of college...) Yours looks and sounds way, way better. Good job!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I should probably just call it a 347, everybody knows what that is. Got the timing set perfectly today, and got the idle down to about 1000 rpm. Frankly, with a cam that is not suppose to work with this setup at all, I should probably be happy with it, sounds somewhat "racy" i think. Runs quite rich as well, I hope the learning will improve that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope your FAST EZ-EFI 2.0 works for you. I've had issues, and others have said it won't work with stack injection.
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running stack injection with quite a bit larger cam and it works great. Don't think that cam is an issue at all. I don't know how much control you have with that EZ efi, but I had to lower idle timing to around 5 degrees to get it to idle down to 850. Those stacks move a lot of air so it's hard to get the idle down.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I hope so too Steve. What issues have you had? I've read some of the bad comments on this system, mostly after I bought it though. I bought a package with the stacks and Fast efi really cheap so I thought I'd give it a go. So far so good, but only time will show if this was a good decision...Looks really cool at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    I'm running stack injection with quite a bit larger cam and it works great. Don't think that cam is an issue at all. I don't know how much control you have with that EZ efi, but I had to lower idle timing to around 5 degrees to get it to idle down to 850. Those stacks move a lot of air so it's hard to get the idle down.
    Well the thing with the cam is the manufacturer says it won't work with a speed-density based efi, which is what I have. Seems to run pretty good so far though. The base timing was a bit off, idle came down a bit when I got that corrected. I'm using the EZ Efi to control timing, I'll play with the idle timing and see what difference it makes. Heck, I just got the thing started, figure I got the whole winter to play with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    Yeah I hope so too Steve. What issues have you had? I've read some of the bad comments on this system, mostly after I bought it though. I bought a package with the stacks and Fast efi really cheap so I thought I'd give it a go. So far so good, but only time will show if this was a good decision...Looks really cool at least.
    I've had issues with EZ-EFI 2.0, but they probably aren't that relevant to you because I don't have stack injection. I keep having to retune my engine because it refuses to idle. Just have to do the basic retune and it runs fine. It's happened about 30 times. Not a big deal, but a PITA. Customer support is crap. Maybe that's the reason you got it cheap!

Rich grsc on the other forum (not sure if he's on this one) had EZ-EFI 2.0 and stack injection. It wouldn't work because the EZ system is not tuneable as acknowledged on the FAST EFI site. Per Rich, FAST even said the EZ EFI wouldn't work with stack injection (see my link below). You need to get the XFI Sportsman ECU. It's tunable and uses the same wiring as the EZ system so it a direct replacement. That's what Rich did. See my thread on the other forum

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/dyno-...fi-2-0.639318/

Good luck!!
    Last edited by swwebb; 10-17-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Inglese stack and it came with the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 (really anything but EZ for my stack system). It just did not work well with our set up and after much trouble shooting we finally ditched it for the FAST Sportsman since it is tunable. The only reason we stayed with FAST was that the wiring harness' between the 2 are the same. We had the Sportsman dyno tuned and it works fine. I wish I knew more when I ordered the engine, I would have gone with a different ECU.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.