Shortly after beginning the driving of my MK4 I developed a squeak in the rear. I had read about the different possibilities, Sway bars, Control Arms, etc... All of mine have been properly lubricated and actually re-lubricated with no luck in getting ride of the squeak. So after the Hot Rod Power tour and about 5600 miles now, I decided to really get under there and find this squeak. I actually found it by accident, while cleaning the underside of the car after many miles of rain driving. While cleaning the bottom of the fuel tank, the squeak showed up. Watch the video and the photos show how I have addressed the issue. I sure hope this help others that could have this same issue.

Be sure to turn up your speakers for that awesome fingernail on the chalkboard sound...

So once I discovered exactly what was causing the squeak I came up with the idea of putting a good thick rubber cushion between the tank straps and the rear edge of the tank flange where the metal to metal rubbing was causing the squeak. I found that my left over piece of 3/8" fuel line would make the perfect addition to my build. I cut two pieces of fuel line, each 1" long and then slit the both. The idea is that the slit will go over the edge of the fuel tank and provide insulation between the tank and strap. One added note, I also put the insulator as far around on the top of the tank edge as I could so that it is actually sandwiched between the black plastic cap that you put in the tank support tube. So now it is held very firmly in place by to points, the edge of the tank and the strap as well as the support tube. Tightened up the tank straps and there is now zero squeak. Problem Solved...

In this photo you can see the inside of the tank strap and where it was rubbing against the edge of the tank causing the squeak.
IMG_6331.jpg

A close up shot of the modified fuel line / insulator
IMG_6333v1.jpg

How the insulator fits in place
IMG_6334.JPG

Job completed...
IMG_6336.JPG

Well almost completed... I did take this opportunity to take it all apart and put a coat of paint on the bolts to stop the rust. Just not before I took these photos.