Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any gen 3 donor builds documented?

Post Thanks / Like

Any gen 3 donor builds documented?

There are many great examples of gen 3 complete kit builds here.
    When I add the parts up.... It’s more than I want to spend.
    Are there any gen 3 base kit builds that I might get cost cutting ideas from?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    My build started with a basic kit. A couple pointers:
    1) upper rear control arms from a donor will not fit- you need the FFR parts
    2) donor front spindles with FFR adapter brackets will not work- you must use FFR spindles
    Also, I ended up purchasing many parts from FFR rather than using a donor or new 3rd party parts because they have good pricing, availability, and will fit. The list includes:
    1) fuel tank kit
    2) front lower control arms
    3) front brake hoses (frame to spindle)
    4) Ron Francis wire harnes kit
    5) AC and heater kit
    5) wheels
    6) rear lower control arms
    This is my first build. I’m glad I went with the basic kit - had fun sourcing and learning about parts along the way even though I ended up eventually purchasing a lot of new stuff from FFR.
    I don’t think there is a reasonable way to build the coupe for much less than about 40k + paint. I’m using a modest crate engine from Blue Print (306) with all the stuff I’ve listed above and I’m well north of 40k so far without paint (I’ve spent a lot on new tools too).
    At any rate, I’m having a ball and learning so much that the price of admission is well worth it. FFR is a first class outfit and a real pleasure to work with; Edwardb’s build thread is my bible - his posts really help me out with the details.
    Hope this helps.

3. Thanks Jimtmich thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mnancar View Post
    My build started with a basic kit. A couple pointers:
    1) upper rear control arms from a donor will not fit- you need the FFR parts
    2) donor front spindles with FFR adapter brackets will not work- you must use FFR spindles
    Also, I ended up purchasing many parts from FFR rather than using a donor or new 3rd party parts because they have good pricing, availability, and will fit. The list includes:
    1) fuel tank kit
    2) front lower control arms
    3) front brake hoses (frame to spindle)
    4) Ron Francis wire harnes kit
    5) AC and heater kit
    5) wheels
    6) rear lower control arms
    This is my first build. I’m glad I went with the basic kit - had fun sourcing and learning about parts along the way even though I ended up eventually purchasing a lot of new stuff from FFR.
    I don’t think there is a reasonable way to build the coupe for much less than about 40k + paint. I’m using a modest crate engine from Blue Print (306) with all the stuff I’ve listed above and I’m well north of 40k so far without paint (I’ve spent a lot on new tools too).
    At any rate, I’m having a ball and learning so much that the price of admission is well worth it. FFR is a first class outfit and a real pleasure to work with; Edwardb’s build thread is my bible - his posts really help me out with the details.
    Hope this helps.

View Rocketcarparts to know how to use the bleeding air brake ABS module thay you may concern.
    That is very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest issue with a donor build now is the parts are getting really old. When I built my Mkll in 2004 I was able to find a crashed 93 GT with under 5000 miles on it, not going to get that anymore. You could find some used parts to cut costs, the big ones are the engine, transmission, brakes and back axle, after that they are all small items. I don't think the donor pedal box fits the Gen 3 frame either.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

6. Thanks Jimtmich thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mnancar View Post
    2) donor front spindles with FFR adapter brackets will not work- you must use FFR spindles...
    Yes! I've seen one with donor spindles and it creates some tremendously wonky geometry that results in a very undesireable camber curve.

Jeff

8. Thanks Jimtmich thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent feedback guys, Thanks.
    That's the same number I keep coming to... hard to get it below 40+paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing a donor build and it will be under 40k, doing everything from engine rebuild to paint. Just got to get the deals on parts etc..

11. Thanks Jimtmich thanked for this post