Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster Trailer winch wiring question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Roadster Trailer winch wiring question

I have a Serpent Express retro kit on a new steel 16' trailer.
    I recently bought a winch to install inside, but trying to figure out the best way to power it.
    I saw a guy earlier this year that used one of the small portable battery jumpers to power his winch. I'm certainly open to that option and already have one of them, but I think a dedicated battery may be a better setup.
    Is there a kit / setup to install a battery and have it recharge off of the trailer wiring harness?

Looking for some good ideas for powering the winch. Thanks guys.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great question! In a very similar situation myself. Have the winch sitting here in the box looking for an excuse to install in my SE plus also wondering the best way to power it. Will be watching.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know someone who put a solar charger panel on top of the tool box. Do not know how that is working out.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first race car trailer I built had a battery that powered the winch and started the generator / welder. It was a pain to keep maintained during the off season. My two current trailers that have winches are powered from my truck. I use the appropriate size cables from my truck batteries to the rear of the truck and use battery connector plugs to connect the truck to the trailer winch. Only takes a minute to plug them in and I never have to maintain separate trailer batteries. The battery cable plugs are capped off when not in use. You can get these through McMaster-Carr or other electrical retailers. Just be sure to get the same manufacturer as there doesn't seem to be a standard.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I know someone who put a solar charger panel on top of the tool box. Do not know how that is working out.
    That's what I did this year, bought "Battery Tender" brand solar charger and mounted it on top of the storage box on the front of the trailer. Even under a white plastic temporary car canopy the charger gets enough UV to keep the battery fully charged. I bought a couple Southco plastic hinges from McMaster Carr and mounted it with those to the aluminum extrusion track around the outside. The hinges have a friction adjustment so you can angle it towardsolar charger.jpg the sun in the winter time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve seen MANY done as NAZ described, never have to worry about maintaining a battery. A friend used a plug from an aircraft APU....just like plugging in lights/brakes but on a bigger scale. Probably a little overkill but very clean.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    A 7-pin trailer connector has a pin for +12v, designed to maintain, but not charge, a battery. Best to run about a 10ga wire from the pin to the battery. I did mount a battery and a winch in my SE. Just put the battery on a regular charger a day or so before I'm going to use it.

Now winching your car into the trailer... another story. The front frame tow hooks are under the body and you cant use them to pull the car up the ramps because the strap will be into the bottom on the nose section. I have to drive it up the ramps until the nose is just inside, then attach a bridle and cable and winch it the rest of the way in.

Also, your cable is going to rub on the floor at the joint to the drop tail. Aluminum trailers wont like this over time.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We're battery powered and will likely be adding a solar charger since the entire family uses it for hauling all sorts of things besides cars.

MK2 builder/owner/driver Carl Johnson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the winch at the very front of the trailer deck. mounted and aluminum tool box on the tongue, battery in the box, also holds my straps, gloves, and an old long sleeve shirt. when the trailer sits i love the solar charger on it. 3 years - no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Winch Wireing.jpgWinch 1.jpgWinch 2.jpg
    For my Daytona, I simply mounted the winch and routed all wiring to the storage box. I use a long cable set to run to the front of my SUV to provide power.
    My thinking was that the trailer can be used with any vehicle and if a friend needs to borrow it I don't need to help him wire anything. All gear was purchased through Etrailer.com. Good products, fair prices.
    BTW, a remote comes in handy in these tight trailers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the RV designed systems. RV Solar charging kits, lighting, air conditioners, a couple of big AGM batteries, and awnings. Add on a Honda or other very quiet generator, a mig/tig welder, compressor, fans, tool boxes, lighting, etc. Darn! Now I'm thinking of another project for myself! Arrggghhh!!!!! LOL