Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 19" Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

19" Wheels

Does anyone run 19" wheels? There are a set that I like that only come in 19" and I can't recall seeing anyone using 19s before. I may be trying to push too much rubber under a Gen III Coupe but I was thinking of doing 19x11 with -6 offset with a 285/30/19 up front and a 19x12 +6 offset and a 325/30/19 in the rear.

I know the Gen III has a bit more room for rubber then the Mk4 but I am not sure these will fit. I know the Snap-On build ran 295/30/18 335/30/18 but I don't know the offsets of those wheels. I also know that in the Gen 3 guys have been running 1 inch to 1.5 inch spacers in the back with the FFR wheels(+22 offset?) and 305 tires. My thinking is that with the 20 mm wider tire, that puts me 10 mm further out and the -16 difference in offset makes for 26 mm total more tire to the outside then the standard wheels and tires without the spacer. That is just over an inch, so it seems to me the rears would fit well.

What do you guys think, should I take the leap and give them a shot? I do like the tire selection for 19" wheels, lots of good options.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've seen with my own build, I think that will work but can't be the authority on it. I ran similar numbers when trying to get my setup down. The front wheels may be pushing things at the max turn but statically should be good. Check out what edwardB did on his and see how it looks since he's almost done with his build.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try giving Factory Five a call. Pretty sure one of their prototypes has 19 inch wheels. The blue one with Forgiato wheels. It's in their gallery on the website. Saw it in person at almost positive it was 19-inch wheels with Toyo R888 tires. Loved the Forgiato wheels until I found out how much they cost.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-12-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 19" RTR Tech 7s on my Gen II Type 65 coupe, but don't have it on the road. I want to say they are the backspacing for the 2012-era Mustangs, and all 4 are the narrower rims (if you can call 19 x 9 narrow). But to get the fit decent I needed 1 or 1.5 inch spacers in the back, plus the front has what amounts to 3/4" spacers as part of a kit to adapt 2015 Mustang GT 4-piston calipers. So they were not a perfect bolt on. But the price and look sure were right. Hope this is helpful.

Front Brakes 2.JPG
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 07-12-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I ended up calling FF and while the wheels and tires could fit up front, I would need to use a steering limiter to keep from rubbing at full lock. They also brought up that a tire that big up front is not the best for street driving. Hard to warm up with the light weight of the car and they will follow groves in the road more. I had not really been thinking of that and was just thinking of how cool it was to be able to fit so much rubber up front. I am going to take their advice and back it down a bit up front. Problem is, I figure if I have too big of a difference between the front and rear tire size, the car will tend to understeer. 245/325 seems a bit out of wack. Feeling good about going with 19s and that the diameter won't be and issue but now I am unsure about width. Maybe 265/30/19 front and 325/30/19?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 19, but are on 33

Post Thanks / Like
    I have played the “What is the maximum amount of wheel/tire I can fit up front?” game with my 2017 Mustang GT. I autocross it heavily so getting as much rubber up front is a huge deal. When the S550 first came out guys thought 10” wheels were the max, but that was disproven many times. 19x11” square (front and rear) is easy with little to no modification. 19x12” up front, yes front, is even possible with more attention and work to the suspension and/or body.

Wheel width is one thing, and tire width is another. They work together, but should be considered separately. Here’s what I mean: a 19x11” wheel with a 285 tire has what we call “stretch”. The tire is a bit narrower than the wheel, and it is very precise and responsive to drive because the tire doesn’t move much laterally on the wheel in high-G cornering. Sharp and focused. Conversely, the same 19x11” wheel with a 325+ tire will probably have some “bulge” to it. The sidewalls are ballooned out past the edges of the wheel a bit. The difference in looks is subjective, but expect the wider tire on the same wheel will deflect more and squirm/move with extreme cornering forces. It can feel more grippy due to the extra rubber on the road, but unless pressures are high it will move around more too.

I am hoping to push the limits of wheel and tire fitment on my Gen 3 Coupe-R also...but I’m not to that point yet. Just received my kit a couple weeks ago. I think 19x11” up front with a mildly stretched tire such as a 295 will be the ticket.

If a 295-315 is unable to heat up in front, you must not be driving the car properly

Kidding aside, the BFG Rivals which are popular for these cars are a (great) autocross tire in 200-treadwear. They have no problem building heat quickly and gripping like glue. The weight of the tire from 275 to 315 is only 2lbs, so the thermal mass delta is very little and won’t have much affect on heat capacity on the street.
    Last edited by Logan; 07-16-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention.... I’m currently shopping for brakes too, and if 19” wheels are used the clearance problems all but disappear. You can fit GT350 brakes under 19” wheels. That’s a 15.6” rotor and 6-piston caliper up front, and a 14” rotor with 4-piston in rear. Too much brake? Off to do maths to figure that out...
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20