Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bay area Referee stations

Post Thanks / Like

Bay area Referee stations

Does anyone in northern CA know best Referee station to deal with?

Options are

Skyline College 3300 College Drive - San Bruno, CA 94066
    Evergreen College 3095 Yerba Buena Rd - San Jose, CA 95135

Thanks,
    Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on your definition of "best". Having just finished BAR'ing a k20 swapped MR2 Spyder, I can say from start to finish the people at BAR were unbelievably helpful and encouraging. Not a single negative response, abd all were excited to see my swap completed legally.

BAR and smog (and state) refs follow CARB laws. Think of it as 300 question test, if you miss one you fail, and they will help you answer every question correctly IF you ask them.

I sent every question, picture, document, wording to the state ref I was assigned to, and he checked every single piece to let me know what would and wouldn't pass before I ever went for inspection.

If you are concerned about anything, call and ask. www.asktheref.org.

The reason swaps and other builds are so difficult to complete now is due solely to people trying to cheat the existing smog laws. This has led to very stringent rules for everything and ruined it for honest people.

Call them. They are unbelievably polite, helpful, and want you to be successful LEGALLY.

I went to Evergreen smog ref because it's down the street. There is no difference because BAR follows all the existing CARB laws.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is for GTM with all new parts fro SB100, I just hear stories about then not knowing SB100 process and so on, the Skyline is closer to me since I am just not sure how safe I fell in the car yet for long drives.

May be be next step is get a referee assigned to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have all documentation regarding SB100 printed up, all applicable laws, etc. They will be appreciative that you have any information they were not aware of.

Also, in the case of anyone wanting to interject opinion (not that I have come across it in any inspection), the written law is final. If there is a dispute, you have the paperwork printed up which is what needs to be followed. They have the ability to call their bosses (my state ref was very helpful in referring a couple matters to his boss).

In my case, for CARB legal aftermarket parts, I printed up the EO for the part, the EO of the cars it covered from the CARB website, and had the EO sticker on the part.

My inspection was supposed to be 1hr40min, but it lasted over 3hr. He never asked a single question, and I passed the visual np.

When you call for inspection they will ask for your location and then offer you what they show on their computer as the nearest locations by city. You choose which one you want to go to. They do not know details about specific locations. For example, they will tell you San Jose but not Evergreen College.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank for the info.

GTM will be dated back to 1962 or so models, so there was not much for smog stuff, only thing that I know they check for PVC valve but no sure right now.

How complete does the car have to be?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not familiar with the specifics of SB100, but if you are getting it inspected to any certification it should meet all the requirements necessary. He will go strictly by the books and fail the car if any requirement is missing.

It's free to fail, and the report will indicate what items need to be rectified for your next visit.

Their only job is to inspect cars, and we're in theBay Area. I'm sure he's done plenty of SB100 cars. It should be a lot easier than an engine swap.

Remember to bring all receipts, photos, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a great experience with Dan at Evergreen last year. Now the DMV, and Sacramento- not so great... Dan has done "many" SB100's. There's a place that does the Brake/Lamp inspection for a reasonable price in downtown san Jose.
    There are some good "How to do SB100 registration" doc's out there that I found very helpful. The SB100 inspection was more about the paperwork than car inspection, which was minimal. Make sure you use approved/marked PCV hose- that's a common "fail" I've heard.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks DSR.

MY engine is LS376 and new, I think it should have PVC valve already.
    Got my Brake and light done.

How complete does the car have to be?

Thanks,
    Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about how complete you need the car, as mine was ~98% done, but the inspection was pretty minimal. I don't know if it would be the BAR or who would ask- but I have never had a windshield wiper installed. You will need an odometer as they do note mileage.

Maybe email them and arrange to come for a preview or meet and discuss? I had quite a bit of communication with Dan directly at [email protected]

>MY engine is LS376 and new, I think it should have PVC valve already.<
    Maybe it's plumbed to the intake already, which should be good. I have an aftermarket air filter and had to plumb the valve to it with PCV marked hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you mean by PCV marked hose? just need to be labeled?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had never heard of it before this process. The hose used to plumb the PCV valve to the intake needs to be specifically marked/made for PCV. I don't know what they would say about steel-braid, but I have heard of people failing after using un-marked hose. They looked specifically at mine. I assume that an OEM system would work but that wasn't an option for me, and considering that 16" of hose off the stock PCV valve is the entire smog system I am pretty happy with SB100!

Post Thanks / Like
    I check my engine today, on GTM the air intake needs to be rotated, so the PCV now is in front and air intake in the back, so I have regular air hose connecting the two. not sure there is specific PCV hose that I can use.

I guess the question is, all those that have LS376 for GTM, what did you use for PCV connection rerouting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Found some PCV hose that I will use so may be making referee happy.