Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mounting LED headlight bulb drivers

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting LED headlight bulb drivers

I'm trying to figure out how I want to mount the LED headlight drivers to the back of the plastic headlight buckets. I have the kit from Watsons Streetworks (similar to what Breeze sells) and the drivers look like the photo below. There are what appear to be holes for fasteners but hardly any room for the head of a fastener. Has anyone figured out what fastener will fit in these? I could take one down to the hardware store and rummage through their bins, or I could grind off half the head off of a normal screw to get it to fit in there, but if someone has already solved this riddle I'd appreciate a hint.

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my Breeze driver mounted on the back of the bucket. Large Zip Tie, holes sealed with silicone. Some 3M mounting tape on each end.

Hope this helps.

John

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the Watson's Streetworks LED headlights I did.

I made two small plates out of about 1/8" aluminum plate, one on the inside of the bucket, and one on the outside. They bolt together and hold the little transformer on the backside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Here's the Watson's Streetworks LED headlights I did.
    Nice work. I'm hoping to come up with something similar, but yours is the older version of the LED driver that had larger bosses with screw holes. The newer ones only have the tiny holes through the tabs on the sides.

Zip ties and some 3M VHB tape may ultimately be the way to go.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.