Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Officially In the Pool

Post Thanks / Like

Officially In the Pool

Just a quick note of thanks for all who've posted here. The conversations, opinions and advice are invaluable.

After much reading, studying, research, planning, favors, late night dinners, doing lists after lists of various things, making dates, pure dedication and blind obedience, my dear wonderful wife said go for it. I am blessed.

Anyway, 'ordered my first kit car yesterday. A MKIV, IRS, Wilwood brakes, etc. It should show up around mid September. I look forward to reading, learning and building!
    Thanks again!

Rich B.

2. Likes rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard to the madness. I think building a roadster is a lot like playing golf. Some days you are hitting the ball good and other days you want to throw your clubs in the lake. But the first time you fire that engine up and go cart it up and down the street, that is the excitement of hitting a hole in one. You will want to share it with everyone. Congratulations on becoming one of us.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

4. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations... Let the fun begin... Remember, you have a family here to help if you ever need... Looking forward to seeing your build thread...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

6. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the right attitude towards the cars and builds, this is a riot.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

8. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Enjoy your build.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

10. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Rich. It's been a great experience to build and great to have.

Just a note. Add your signature (with details) so when you have a question, people responding will have a better idea of you build details and won't have to ask as many questions for clarity.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

12. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one has told him we get to help spend his money on all the upgrades. Just send your credit card information to the major vendors on the forum and we will do the rest. Oh, and when your wife asks "Isn't it done?". Just smile and say it's never done.

Scott

14. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!!! Welcome to the fun.

Let us know where you are. Part of the fun is meeting other owners and getting that extra pair of hands when needed. I just met up with two other FFR owners yesterday for autocross. Met them on the forums.

Psssst..... "Kit car" is sort of a dirty word. They bring up images of Bradly GTs and other re-body nightmares. Replica, since you are building a car from the ground up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I'm living proof of how valuable this forum can be.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

17. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know! It does have a negative connotation. I'm calling it a "Custom High Performance Hand Built Motor Car designed to Race Car Specifications, Reliability and Durability." Basically a light weight super car hidden under an English inspired roadster body. The body itself is designed by famed racer and automotive icon Carroll Shelby himself.

And, since I'm a member of this board and an engineer, I can claim that: "The entire project is assembled not by just mechanics, but also a full time dedicated Senior Level Professionally Licensed Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager. The effort is backed by a team of highly experienced advisors (i.e. this Forum). Additionally, the Engineer is present during the entire process, supervising and inspecting each and every component and it's assembly." Not even a single rivet or drilled hole goes without an Engineers hands on inspection." LOL Heck, I may even stamp the frame with my license number. LOL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    ..........Psssst "Kit car" is sort of a dirty word. They bring up images of Bradly GTs and other re-body nightmares. Replica, since you are building a car from the ground up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    I know! It does have a negative connotation. I'm calling it a "Custom High Performance Hand Built Motor Car designed to Race Car Specifications, Reliability and Durability." Basically a light weight super car hidden under an English inspired roadster body. The body itself is designed by famed racer and automotive icon Carroll Shelby himself.

And, since I'm a member of this board and an engineer, I can claim that: "The entire project is assembled not by just mechanics, but also a full time dedicated Senior Level Professionally Licensed Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager. The effort is backed by a team of highly experienced advisors (i.e. this Forum). Additionally, the Engineer is present during the entire process, supervising and inspecting each and every component and it's assembly." Not even a single rivet or drilled hole goes without an Engineers hands on inspection." LOL Heck, I may even stamp the frame with my license number. LOL :-)
    Wow, You have not even received your "kit" yet and it's all ready worth 10x what mine is worth just because.....

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like

And on a positive note..... Having your background will allow you to plan ahead, research, and ask questions (as any good Project Manager would) before committing to your final design details. Good luck!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm calling it a [I]"Custom High Performance Hand Built Motor Car designed to Race Car Specifications, Reliability and Durability." Basically a light weight super car hidden under an English inspired roadster body. The body itself is designed by famed racer and automotive icon Carroll Shelby himself.
    I love it! I'm going to use this
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread