Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: finishing the floors?

Post Thanks / Like

finishing the floors?

Here are my floors.

Anty suggestion on what to do to make them weather tight?
    Currently has carpet expeosed on some areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know any details about your build. But that should have been addressed before the carpet was installed. Normal build sequence is to install the panels, then caulk/fill as needed so that everything's closed up. Then optionally (but highly recommended) apply some kind of heat/sound insulation. Then the carpet. That frame tube out of the footbox is a common spot, and most of us fill with a piece fabricated out of scrap or whatever. Not 100% sure of the other picture, but again should have been filled before carpet. Not sure what you can do now, other than fill from the back side. Or perhaps pull up the carpet and follow the described sequence. But that's a pretty drastic step.

Edit: Yes, that second area is the e-brake opening. Don't know how I missed it before. As others have said, that one is OK as is. Lots of discussion/debate about it. My experience is due to air pressure in the trans tunnel, water doesn't make it up there. For my builds, I use fresh air vents in the tunnel with scoops underneath. No hoses or powered fans. Simple. An idea I saw in a build blog during my first Mk3 build. Seems counter-intuitive, but experience on three builds is the air from the scoops is cool (ambient) and dry. Even in driving rain. The PS scoop is just in front of the e-brake opening, so expect it too stays dry.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-16-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks. i might pull the carpets and look at sealing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first picture. I made a trim piece out of some leftover aluminum and was able to get the opening closed up most of the way. A clean silicone bead to finish and it's fine.

The second picture looks like the e-brake opening. I did not do anything with that one. Not very likely that water will make it in that way.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what the others are describing for the passenger foot box:

For the e-brake, I didn't put anything in there based on what others have said about it not being a real issue. I did, however, trim the carpet back to the edges of the opening to be sure the e-brake wouldn't get tangled up on it down the road.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hay Dave, (yes I always spell it that way lol)
    I know it’s way to late now but is that a gap in the silicone or a sharpe mark showing through the clear?

Kurt

CC7EF15A-5777-4998-B15C-6BE5575FC168.jpeg
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Hay Dave, (yes I always spell it that way lol)
    I know it’s way to late now but is that a gap in the silicone or a sharpe mark showing through the clear?

Kurt

CC7EF15A-5777-4998-B15C-6BE5575FC168.jpeg
    Kurt -- just a Sharpie mark.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

8. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big mistake sealing up the foot boxes so tight. At some point you will get caught in a rain and then you will have them full of water. The idea that water is going to get into the foot boxes from below is minimal, it's all coming from the top(open cockpit).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Big mistake sealing up the foot boxes so tight. At some point you will get caught in a rain and then you will have them full of water. The idea that water is going to get into the foot boxes from below is minimal, it's all coming from the top(open cockpit).
    And there you go! Sure, close up the big gaps like around the tube but otherwise Rich is right on the money. First time I got caught in a heavy rain in my car I pulled over when the water level got to the top of the step into the lowered footbox floor....I opened the trunk, got a big phillips screwdriver and hammer then punched several drain holes in the lower footbox floor! It's gonna' get in from above; better give it a way to get out

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Calculated risk I suppose. My car will be wearing a top more often than not, more to keep the sun off of me than the rain. If I ever do get flooded to the point of standing water in the floor pans, I'll pull the carpet back, drill some holes and plug them with rubber grommet plug/seals like most modern cars have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used aluminum tape and silicone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Spot on!! I got caught in a monsoon-like downpour and had over 3" of water in the floor. Sure would've been nice to have a way for the water to get out. After I got home and got the carpet dry with blowers, I drilled a few holes to allow drainage.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_VA View Post
    Spot on!! I got caught in a monsoon-like downpour and had over 3" of water in the floor. Sure would've been nice to have a way for the water to get out. After I got home and got the carpet dry with blowers, I drilled a few holes to allow drainage.
    I know what you're talking about. Same thing happened to me, thats why my advice. One of the club members had a cordless drill in his tool kit, on the parking lot drilling holes in the floor.