Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New builder in Calif

Post Thanks / Like

New builder in Calif

I'm having a problem installing Koni coilovers that came with my MK4 base kit. The spring collars won't thread onto the threaded sleeves. I checked for burrs, damaged threads and set screws but can't find anything that's obvious to me. All four sleeve and collars will start to thread and then bind after about a quarter turn. If I'm over looking something I'd like any advice anybody has about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TERRYL View Post
    I'm having a problem installing Koni coilovers that came with my MK4 base kit. The spring collars won't thread onto the threaded sleeves. I checked for burrs, damaged threads and set screws but can't find anything that's obvious to me. All four sleeve and collars will start to thread and then bind after about a quarter turn. If I'm over looking something I'd like any advice anybody has about this.
    Make sure the set screws in the collars are backed out.

Edit: Well, you said you checked those already, so back to square one. Do you have pictures of your assembly?
    Last edited by Papa; 07-15-2019 at 09:55 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like mis-matched thread pitch. Can you count the threads-per-inch on the mating parts? That would be pretty unlikely. I can't imagine that that's it, but I guess weirder things have happened.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to the folks who responded. Factory five graciously sent me, at no cost, four new sleeves and collars. The new collars fit any of the sleeves and the old collars fit none of the sleeves so it would appear that the original collars have a fit issue. I spent part of yesterday afternoon assembling coil overs and mounted the front ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I’m wrong everybody... but shouldn’t he / we check the rebound settings on the shocks before install? Better safe than sorry? Or maybe you have?

Kurt
    Last edited by SSNK4US; 07-26-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18