Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DART Bolts or Studs

Post Thanks / Like

DART Bolts or Studs

Hey Everyone,

Piecing everything together for my Dart SHP 363. I am at a crossroads here. Do I use the main bolts that DART supplied (grade 8), or do I upgrade to ARP studs for the mains. I most likely wont have to align hone if I stick with the current hardware. Switching will most definitely require a line bore/align hone.

DART said these bolts are good for 600 hp. I think my build will be around 450. Possibly 500 in the future if I go with bigger heads.

EDIT: one more thing to add. Machine shop thinks I will be just fine with the supplied bolts.

What say you engine guru's?

Scottie
    Last edited by scottiec; 07-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mr. Scott,

Like you I'm no Guru, but we used the bolts that came with the Dart SHP block to build our 383.
    The engine is making somewhere around 450 HP, possibly 10-25 more.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Mr. Scott,

Like you I'm no Guru, but we used the bolts that came with the Dart SHP block to build our 383.
    The engine is making somewhere around 450 HP, possibly 10-25 more.

Steve
    Thanks Steve!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cap screws will be fine. I just built a Dart Little M block SBC that the bottom end is good for 1500 HP and more than 8000 RPM, used ARP cap screws. However, when it comes to heads I use ARP studs to get more clamping force as this is a nitrous engine.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    The cap screws will be fine. I just built a Dart Little M block SBC that the bottom end is good for 1500 HP and more than 8000 RPM, used ARP cap screws. However, when it comes to heads I use ARP studs to get more clamping force as this is a nitrous engine.
    So NAZ, just so I am clear - Stick with the dart bolts for the main caps. Correct?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Each one of those 1/2-13 G-8 cap screws provide >12,000 lbs of clamping force.

BTW, the rod bolts are a much higher stressed fastener than main cap fasteners. There's where you should pay close attention to fastener strength.
    Last edited by NAZ; 07-16-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Yes. Each one of those 1/2-13 G-8 cap screws provide >12,000 lbs of clamping force.

BTW, the rod bolts are a much higher stressed fastener than main cap fasteners. There's where you should pay close attention to fastener strength.
    You are the man. Thank you sir