Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk4 Sway Bar Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Sway Bar Installation

I'm installing the sway bars (front and rear) and the instructions say to cut the male and female rod ends to shorten them to 1/2" of thread remaining and screw them together. Is shortening absolutely necessary? Does this effect the functionality of the sway bars in any way?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Swaybar can com in contact with the wheel in turn otherwise

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

3. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you would also have a hard time even getting bolted to the sway bar without cutting those. You need to be a bit careful with the cut so you don't gum up the threads on either end since they will still screw together.
    Last edited by Tree; 07-17-2019 at 11:52 PM.

5. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest way to not mess up the threads I found was to simply run 2 nuts on the male end then cut then turn the nuts off. If the first nut doesn’t clean enough of the thread on removal the second one will. On the female section just install a sacrificial bolt. Using a cut off wheel, cut at the proper place on all sides till the end spins free onto the bolt then remove the bolt. This will keep the threads clean. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

7. Thanks Tree, tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all. Good info. Looks like I'll go ahead and cut them as recommended. Thanks, -Tim