Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Lucas "style" switches

Post Thanks / Like

Lucas "style" switches

I know there is a ton of info on this, and reading them all has really confused the heck out of me.

There are $4 switches from FactoryFive and as high as $89 switches. The $4 FactoryFive toggle switches are rated at 20 amps.

I specifically do not want original Lucas switches, I am looking for something better than the original but with the same 'look'.

Can someone please explain to me like I am 5, why would one want to pay $20+ for a switch over the $4 FF switch? I know there are good reasons, I am just very ignorant in this area so I don't know what they are.

In normal times I'd have ordered them to compare them but FF is out of stock and many other places have huge delays, so I can't do a simple comparison then return the ones I don't want. Heck I'd have done a long writeup and a YouTube video for the next person, but sadly it's really not a possibility these days.

Thank you for your indulgence.
    Last edited by zee; 02-09-2022 at 09:47 AM.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey zee --- reading through your note, I was first tempted to find you past posts with some of the background you're looking for. Then I reread your first line, and realized you were probably in a loop that every builder finds themselves in at some point. I've spun around certain decisions, fervently looking for the 'one right answer'. For some reason, switches weren't something I spun around for long.

Folks don't buy Lucas switches for improved reliability. You'll find that the Lucas reputation for reliability has generated its own genre of humor. ("The Lucas motto: get home before dark"). But, switches are pretty simple things, and pretty unlikely to go out on you even before considering the low level of use these switches will get through their lifetime in the car. Plenty of folks have used both Lucas and FFR switches without issue. I personally didn't sweat the reliability piece.

I think most pick the Lucas switch for a bit of authenticity, and for the look. At close inspection, the FFR and Lucas switches look different, and that makes a difference to some. Another big reason, though, is that you need to do more work to use other switches for the wiper function. It's a path traveled by many, but is more work to figure out how to get the park function working properly.

After looking through all the Lucas switch offerings I decided to stick with the kit switches, bolstered with a few extra FFR switches where I wanted to add some functions. I decided that any difference in appearance between the Lucas wiper switch and the FFR switches was something that only I would notice, particularly once I found bezels I liked to go with the FFR switches. Then I moved on

Good luck.
    Last edited by John Ibele; 02-09-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

3. Thanks zee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll echo what John said. I used all Lucas switches in my build because I like the look and the authenticity of them. I also like the fact that, should they fail, they'll release genuine Lucas smoke.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

5. Likes zee, John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.

My kit won't arrive until October. I plan to pass time by ordering switches and other stuff (heater, wiper etc) so I can experiment with wiring them upfront :-).

I've found www.holden.co.uk to be very helpful in responding to my messages and they just told me that they do have modern toggle switches where they can put on "Lucas style" handle for the "look", plus they have lucas style bezel.

My problem might have solved itself.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You might also consider one of our supporting vendors' offerings:

https://prdcrrct.com/product-category/dash/
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

8. Thanks zee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah. You don't have your hands on the switches. That's a challenge. FWIW in addition to the differences in appearance, the FFR switches have a shorter throw and latch with a 'click'. The Lucas switches have longer throw and engage with a very satisfying 'clunk'. I know, you cared

Here's the bezel I used for the FFR switches. Probably partially jazzed about them because where you can you find something you're not ashamed to have on your dash for $1.75??

10. Thanks zee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you're fixated on the Lucas aesthetic, there are many other manufacturers of paddle handle switches.

Check out DigiKey.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my switches from Holden in the UK. High quality, Lucas look alike. See Jeff Kleiners post in 'your' post about cruise control. That is my car he pictured of the ash tray and cruise control. You can see the switches on the console just above the ash tray/CC switch. They have different ratings but are rated for between 10 or 15 amp.

George
    Last edited by GWL; 02-10-2022 at 09:06 AM.

13. Likes zee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spent enough time working on 60s and 70s British cars that I replaced all my switches w/ Cole-Hersee. I didn't really need to but I wanted to add some switches and understand the C-H are high quality, so I just ordered a few extra.
    https://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hersee-switches
    They have a bunch of styles. I used one of these long handle ones plus an extender for turn signals.
    https://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hers...-long-handle-1
    https://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hers...xtension-black
    Last edited by CraigS; 02-10-2022 at 09:17 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    As has already been stated, actual Lucas switches look a bit different than the generic toggle switches FF supplies with the kit. Put the two side-by-side and you'll see what we mean. I've had a love-hate relationship with Lucas switches in my builds. I've used a number of them because I wanted the authentic look. Three failed over time. Usually they just literally fall apart on the inside. Depending on your build, they can be easy enough to change. Or not. So think about that. Also be aware there are genuine Lucas branded switched (typically a green box) and there are knock-offs. Some switches sold by vendors as Lucas are actually knock-offs. I've found those to be less reliable. Either one or two (don't remember...) of the failures I've had were knock-offs. FWIW, the last two builds I've done (the Coupe and Truck) don't have any Lucas switches. There are a whole bunch of aftermarket options. Price and name brand does matter.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Also be aware there are genuine Lucas branded switched (typically a green box) and there are knock-offs. Some switches sold by vendors as Lucas are actually knock-offs. I've found those to be less reliable.
    This made me chuckle. I think you'd actually have to work pretty hard to accomplish that.

Another thing to consider when thinking about reliability is what you plan to use Lucas switches for. As I mentioned, I went with genuine Lucas switches for the aesthetic, and I was OK with the potential compromise in reliability because these switches are all for non-critical functions in my build. I have two toggles: one for wipers and one for hazard lights, and the Lucas horn button. Failures of any of these aren't going to have a serious impact for me. Living in CA, we get so few rainy days and you can see them coming days away in the forecast, that you just don't get caught out in the rain around here like you might in other places, so a failed wiper switch may go unnoticed for a loooong time. I'd probably think twice about using a Lucas ignition switch, for example.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Three failed over time. Usually they just literally fall apart on the inside.
    See what I mean about Lucas switches inspiring their own genre of humor?

What I said about switches being simple devices and therefore unlikely to fail in your car ... scratch that, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    They don't call Joseph Lucas the "Prince of Darkness" for no reason.

19. Likes John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great thread. I'm at the "switch selection" point in my build as well and have been looking at some different variations of the "Lucas style" switch. I'm a bit of a switch snob myself as it is one of the primary elements of the car you actually touch so I'm leaning toward getting actual LUCAS switches from Period Correct.

That said, I've never actually touched or manipulated a real LUCAS switch so I'm just going off faith that the feel and "click" of the real switches will give a more finished feel than those provided by FFR.
    Last edited by BrewCityCobra; 02-11-2022 at 08:27 AM.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    There’s just something about the look and feel of the Lucas toggles. And rolling the dice on if they’ll work!

FFR4462 - Taxed out of Connecticut
    If you live in CT, you need to read these threads on registration & taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...247#post442247
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Tax-Increases!

Post Thanks / Like
    An article regarding Lucas switches: Lucas - Prince of Darkness, or just a bad rap?