Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT Owners Beware - Motor Vehicle Assessment Tax Increases!

Post Thanks / Like

CT Owners Beware - Motor Vehicle Assessment Tax Increases!

For those of you who live in Connecticut, you are well aware of the annual Motor Vehicle property tax. This year the property tax on my Factory Five Roadster increased almost 20x to well over $1000!

My car is registered as a 2004 Composite Cobra, which I believe was the only available option at the time (no option to register it as a 1965). Since that timeframe, the tax has been relatively low on the car. Quite a shock this year.

I initially had my wife call the assessor’s office (she’s familiar with the car and taxes). He told her that it’s difficult to assess these cars, therefore Autotrader was used to assess it. He said these cars range in market value, many well above $60 - 80K, therefore the assessment on ours was ‘reasonable’. He gave no indication on why the assessment changed in 2019. He stated we could contest it in September at a session specific to challenging assessments.

Over the past few days, I’ve been researching CT DMV’s website and any information available. In addition, I looked on autotrader.com, which is where he stated he pulled the values. To my surprise, there are no Cobras on autotrader. Interesting.

Today I followed up with a call to the assessor’s office. He started out by saying that he already explained the assessment when I (my wife) called, and again repeated we could come in September to provide documentation of a different value.

I asked him where he arrived at the assessment value, and this time he stated Google. I questioned him on the use of Google as an assessment tool, and he said it’s in his right to use it and stands by it. I stated he told my wife he used autotrader, and he didn’t have a good response.

When I mentioned there are many different kits and build standards, he didn’t really acknowledge, except to suggest I should have put my brand (Factory Five) on the title in 2004. Such great guidance.

I asked him if he really thought it was reasonable to increase the assessment so much, and he stated yes. I asked if this was your car, would you think so? He said he’d never buy a car like this (note: I built mine ). He said if it was him, he’d just be happy to enjoy the prior years lower assessments.

The conversation didn’t improve from there, and he even said "do you think I’m going to change my mind after this 9 minute phone call?”. Nice, now the assessor can apparently assess cars based on emotion and Google.

I asked if there was a path for me to update the year of the car from 2004 to 1965, since that’s what is on the certificate of origin and the body style, and also that the DMV regs now allow us to title our cars in the year of the body style (1965). https://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=244898. He implied it’s not legal, since my VIN is based on 2004, and the kit (car) is not from 1965.

Here’s what it says on CTDMV:
    At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built or the year of a previously manufactured vehicle that it most closely resembles. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."

I thought that this form was a potential option for updating the vehicle year, but he indicated no, based on the existing 2004-based VIN:
    TAXPAYER'S APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF MOTOR VEHICLE ASSESSMENT: https://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/L-4.pdf

I told him that actions like these are damaging the hobby and could potentially drive me to sell the car. I couldn’t help but also comment that these type of taxation actions are pushing people and companies (GE, UTC, etc) out of Connecticut.

“Any more questions?", and he quickly got off the phone. I called back, got his name and ‘deputy' position, and he quickly got off again.

So, I’m boxed in. I’m stuck paying half of the assessed amount before Aug 1, then attempt to contest it in September. When I asked if I will receive interest on money they are holding for the period between payment and reimbursement (assuming I can get it lowered), he didn’t know how to answer it. Kinda frightening, considering he’s in a financial-related position.

I’ve also reached out to https://www.ctccc.net, since their website has some good information on CT vehicle tax. Hoping they have some guidance.

Anyone else experience a change this year?

Post Thanks / Like
    That bites. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a successful challenge. Good luck.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve never heard of a vehicle property tax. Are you saying you have to pay a tax for just owning a car in Connecticut outside of registering, insuring, fueling and repairing?

4. Likes flyingfarley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had similar attacks from the assessor for other crazy taxed items, but you can fight them. I would start a the top and complain in person to the mayor or first selectman in your town. If your town has several selectmen then complain to all of them. Remind them of elections coming up and how you can bring this up as political point on how they are hunting for cash that can raise all assessments for everyone in the town. Unfortunately assessor can be either an elected or an appointed position depending on the town. If it’s appointed, the top dog is your target. If it’s elected then you go after the party.
    However you go at it, be civil. No one will respond to attacks or anger, and will quickly shutdown a conversation which needs to happen.
    Good luck.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I’ve never heard of a vehicle property tax. Are you saying you have to pay a tax for just owning a car in Connecticut outside of registering, insuring, fueling and repairing?
    About half of the states in the US have a property tax based on the value of the vehicle. Big difference in the percentage though, and often is part of the annual registration fees so many don't recognize it as that. The OP's state of Connecticut is one of the highest, although some are still more. The issue here is the method of calculating the value, where someone has clearly gotten a little creative. We used to live in Virginia (some years ago) and as I recall also applied to boats, RV's, etc. Found this chart that lists all 50 states: https://wallethub.com/edu/t/states-w...11585/#vehicle.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Likes Badfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same for us on a different vehicle, but they're a bit more reasonable here. Here's what you need to know, and have your local representative make some calls for you.

He said the appraisal is based on Google. He's lying.

Ask for the documentation showing how it was calculated, what comparisons they used and WHY they used Google.
    What authority does he have to use Google?
    Find out if it's legal to tax YOUR labor.
    AND get your OWN estimates from a dealer...better yet, three dealers!
    Go to the next county board meeting and present your case to them in public.
    Call your local newspaper or TV station and ask if they have an "On Your Side" segment where they help people being screwed over.
    If all else fails, register it in another county or state.
    Get on Facebook and shame them...do it nicely, but shame them.
    Last edited by RBachman; 07-17-2019 at 07:29 AM.

9. Likes Jetfuel, Badfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in central CT and my job helped me move out 30 years ago. This is just one more item telling me I made the right decision! (IL isn't much better, but at least we don't have property tax on vehicles.)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    What is it with the Northeastern states and crazy taxes? Don't they recall their own history?
    Last edited by Papa; 07-17-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I moved from Illinois to SC to get away from the crap. Here they have property taxes on cars, but sales tax on automobiles is capped at $350. So it evens out. Funny thing thing, the taxes on my 45' diesel motorcoach are less than they are for some of our cars! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    CT appears to be ranked as the third most "liberal" state in the US, with some of the highest taxes. None of this is surprising. Even the Franchise Tax Board in CA does not have appraisers for vehicles, they use the purchase price (or for a kit, the "build price") for a taxation valuation, and the DMV is the one that does it. Heaven help the builders in CA if the legislators in CA follow CT's lead on this.

God Bless the Great State of Nevada! (where we have affordable homes, reasonable utilities, and comparatively cheap gas)

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Do states with property taxes on vehicles decrease as the value of the vehicle depreciates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do states with property taxes on vehicles decrease as the value of the vehicle depreciates?
    They do in SC. Also, if your vehicle has accelerated depreciation due to something like high mileage, damage, etc. you can request a reduction.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, Never thought under a tax discussion i would say i'm glad i live in NY. How does someone that lives in one of those states afford to have even a small collection of cars?
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanding View Post
    WOW, Never thought under a tax discussion i would say i'm glad i live in NY. How does someone that lives in one of those states afford to have even a small collection of cars?
    LOL. You should talk to my wife, she'll never go back to NY. LOL

It's not exactly bad here. If purchasing a vehicle in SC, there is a one-time Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF) rather than a sales tax. This fee is 5% of the price up to a maximum of $500 (it used to be $350). Tax on a vehicle worth $30k is generally between $700 and $800 depending on where you live. BUT, taxes on a $500,000 home is around $2k. So there's a huge break compared to most states. In all, it cost a lot less to live in some of these states

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    I moved from Illinois to SC to get away from the crap. Here they have property taxes on cars, but sales tax on automobiles is capped at $350. So it evens out. Funny thing thing, the taxes on my 45' diesel motorcoach are less than they are for some of our cars! LOL
    Any your tax on your Factory Five Mk4 will be about $16-18 yes... Sixteen to Eighteen Dollars... Isn't SC great...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Hear Hear. I also just moved out of Illinois (to my home state of Wisconsin). So refreshing to not get taxed to death on every single aspect of life. Glad to see Wisconsin is a non-tax state on that list.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I lived in MA (another liberal state) in addition to a 6.2% sales tax on the purchase price (no cap) we had a yearly excise tax that you pay forever. Plus a yearly safety and emission test.

Here in NM our sales tax on cars just went from 3.5% to 4.5% with a one time road use tax based on weight that was very reasonable.
    A one time safety check when you register the car. No yearly emission testing in the county I live in.

After reading SerpantFL post below I should also add the roads in MA are terrible too. So may pot holes and neglected roads. The fuel tax was suppose to be used for road repairs, however the state legislature puts it in the general fund and spends it as they see fit.
    The cost for using the toll roads keeps going up.
    No toll roads out here in most of the western states.
    Last edited by JimLev; 07-17-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

21. Likes RBachman, cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Edwardb for that chart, although leaving NY for FL isn't much of a vehicle tax change, many other aspects are at play for me. Badfish, hope you are able to extricate yourself from that abuse of gov't. I may add that part of the impetus for my move is road surfaces. In NYC, the roads are so poorly maintained, that I wouldn't wish driving here on anyone. When people say that they have a beater, they mean it. I would not subject a roadster to NY roads for any reason. I see a correlation between high tax states and poor services for the "paying customer". Politics are for another venue, sorry. Drive safe.

23. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes in Virginia, but the taxes are still too high.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

25. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It most definitely is!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Any your tax on your Factory Five Mk4 will be about $16-18 yes... Sixteen to Eighteen Dollars... Isn't SC great...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I'm posting this on both forums, as well as beginning a lot of communications as well. I'm researching the statutes as well. If I have to engage the city, I will.

He obviously relied on Google to do his job, found a high price and billed it. When questioned, he became emotional.

I absolutely plan to fight it and make sure others are aware. This is Middletown specific, but could soon affect others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Folks, I'd like to keep the forum politics free please. The way we can do that is to keep terms like "liberal" out of your posts. References to any political party should be avoided. A few of the posts above are borderline and I know it can be frustrating to keep the politics out of the discussion but let's do all our friends a favor and try to keep party affiliations out of the conversation. Saying things like "taxes are too high" I think are ok at this point, as long as we keep the politics out.

Thanks,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the response below from the assessor today (http://www.cityofmiddletown.com/260/Tax-Assessor). I email him earlier this week to try to better understand how the deputy assessor assessed my vehicle, and request his assistance in providing the actual tools and documentation they used when reassessing this car for 2019, so we can better prepare our case for appeal.

Clearly they feel they do not need to substantiate their position. Seems like a crime to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    This office is required to value all vehicles in accordance with §12-71d. which reads as follows: "Sec. 12-71d. Schedule of motor vehicle values. On or before the first day of October each year, the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management shall recommend a schedule of motor vehicle values which shall be used by assessors in each municipality in determining the assessed value of motor vehicles for purposes of property taxation. For every vehicle not listed in the schedule the determination of the assessed value of any motor vehicle for purposes of the property tax assessment list in any municipality shall continue to be the responsibility of the assessor in such municipality.."

In other words, if a vehicle does not appear on the [pricing] schedule of motor vehicles (OPM has instructed all assessors to value motor vehicle based upon the NADA clean retail value as published in the October edition), the value shall be determined by the assessor. There is no reference as to what information must be obtained, used, or considered to make that determination.

When you make an appeal, the appeal is not whether the assessor erred in his calculations, used an incorrect body type, or has insufficient knowledge of the intricacies of the specific make, model, kit type, chassis, etc. of the vehicle in question. The appeal is that the value placed upon the vehicle is inaccurate, and the appellant is required to share their detailed knowledge of the vehicle to the Board of Assessment Appeals for consideration. If the Board is so compelled by the testimony and evidence presented at the hearing they will make a determination and move to issue a new value.

As such, it is my recommendation that you focus on the appeal, and persuading the Board of a fair value for the vehicle as of October 1, 2018 as is required, rather than "the actual tools and documentation" used by this office. A successful appeal will make the value placed on the vehicle invalid regardless of any information I may find.

However, without compelling testimony or evidence indicating a value you find more appropriate, the Board may simply move to deny your appeal.

Kindest regards,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx, CCMA II
    Assessor, City of Middletown
    245 deKoven Dr.
    Middletown, CT 06457
    Tel: (860) 638-4930 Fax: (860) 638-1935

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to eBay and do a search for Factory Five Cobra, then select "sold items" and you'll get a nice list of values for cars that have actually sold, not just what the asking price was.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

You may want to tinker with the key words in the search since they get listed a lot of different ways.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

31. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to the "ebay" option that Papa very wisely made, Take your car down to your local CarMax and ask them for an appraisal. It will be free and they will do a lot of leg work with many sources and come up with an appraised value that may work very well for you. You most likely will not want to sell it to them for the number they will offer you. Also, don't tell them what you are doing it for, all they need to know is that you are thinking of selling it to them. As a long time employee of CarMax I kinda know this routine.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

33. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this on the other forum, here’s the latest:

I went to the assessment appeal board in early September. The board is supposed to consist of 3 members reviewing the appeals. It did not. Instead, they had each appellant meet with only one board member, and supposedly that one board member presents the appeal to the other two. This deviation from the 3-panel board gives the taxpayer less of a forum to successfully present their appeal.

So I presented my appeal to the one board member, who seem to know very little about cars and how they are assessed.

I presented (in powerpoint format!) the differences between a Factory Five and high priced kits like Superformance; explained "what it is" vs. "what it's not". I also showed the cost of my kit at the time of purchase in 2002 (17 years ago!) and examples of Factory Five and Superformance cars for sales.

By the end of September, I received a response in the mail. DECLINED. Declined, with no justification.

Next step is to present to Superior Court, which of course costs (me) more money, with the continued risk of no success. Seems to me Middletown has a nice little process set up here to stifle the voice of the taxpayer and generate themselves revenue.

Beware if you are a CT (especially Middletown) resident planning to build a kit!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    I posted this on the other forum, here’s the latest:

I went to the assessment appeal board in early September. The board is supposed to consist of 3 members reviewing the appeals. It did not. Instead, they had each appellant meet with only one board member, and supposedly that one board member presents the appeal to the other two. This deviation from the 3-panel board gives the taxpayer less of a forum to successfully present their appeal.

So I presented my appeal to the one board member, who seem to know very little about cars and how they are assessed.

I presented (in powerpoint format!) the differences between a Factory Five and high priced kits like Superformance; explained "what it is" vs. "what it's not". I also showed the cost of my kit at the time of purchase in 2002 (17 years ago!) and examples of Factory Five and Superformance cars for sales.

By the end of September, I received a response in the mail. DECLINED. Declined, with no justification.

Next step is to present to Superior Court, which of course costs (me) more money, with the continued risk of no success. Seems to me Middletown has a nice little process set up here to stifle the voice of the taxpayer and generate themselves revenue.

Beware if you are a CT (especially Middletown) resident planning to build a kit!!
    Another reason to move South.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys. Just bringing this to the top again, due to some recent activity. I know folks will be going to CT inspections (at some point) this spring, so I want to share this information. You need to be sure you get your car titled / registered as a 1965, or you could be exposed to this same unethical taxation crap that I am. Getting your car registered as a 1965 provides the ability to get Historic plates, which keeps the annual vehicle tax at a low, fixed amount.

When mine was titled in 2004, CT DMV didn't have the provision to title in "the year of a previously manufactured vehicle that it most closely resembles". I've spoken with DMV, and unlikely I can get this changed to 1965, but I'm not done trying.

https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Inspection...osite-Vehicles

At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built or the year of a previously manufactured vehicle that it most closely resembles. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite".

I'm likely faced with paying $1150 for the next four years until it reached 20 years in age. Honestly, I'm thinking about selling the car. Why should I give the town this money?! Considering I scrutinized every dollar I invested in this car, it kills me that after 16 years of the car being registered, I now have to fork over $1150 annual (will be well over $5000 over 5 years) due to the money grabbing, corrupt actions of the Middletown Tax Office.

As mentioned in prior posts, the town failed to hold a proper 3-panel board back in September, so I attempted to resubmit my appeal for February. The day of the appeal, the tax assessor informed me that I could not re-appeal.

Either way, I joined the appeals conference call at my time slot. Once again, the town only had one board member on the call to hear the appeals (not just my appeal). She stated I couldn't re-appeal it. I questioned her on why the prior September appeal was declined, and much like the assessor, couldn't address why the prior appeal was declined or why the sudden 1800% increase in annual tax.

So here's the funny part, and shows how sneaky / weak the town assessor is. In the beginning of the call, after the single board member joined, the tax assessor joins the call. This was the type of conference call where you state your name prior to the system putting you through. The system announces 'Damon', but he never introduces himself or speaks the entire call! At one point during the call, I ask if he's on the line, and he doesn't speak up or acknowledge me when I call him by name and ask about the assessment. So sneaky!

After the COVID situation settles down, I plan to engage our Congressmen (it's an election year!), or the newspaper, to investigate the tax office. Maybe SEMA?
    Last edited by Badfish; 07-06-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: edited for content

Post Thanks / Like
    So, for all you CT residents, this is the week you'll likely receive your annual vehicle tax. Mine arrived yesterday.

...now increased the assessment another $8000.

This is apparently their unethical retaliation for me appealing the 2019 assessment. So, despite my phone calls, emails, appeals and full documentation on the value of the kit car and previous precedent on assessments, they again raised it substantially. If this type of retaliation occurred in the private section, they would be fired.

I've been unsuccessful in getting the car re-registered as 1965. DMV registration says they go by the year assigned by the inspector, which was 2004. Last conversation over the phone with one of the inspectors is they look at the manufacture date of the frame, not the body style. This contradicts what their website says (and I think SEMA?). It's been suggested I visit the inspector in person, so maybe when they reopen.

I'm very curious when the next few folks go through CT inspection what their FFR is deemed, a 2020 or 1965.

On June 1, I also submitted a letter to the Middletown Mayor on the questionable actions of the tax office. Never heard anything back. Reviewing their budget for 2020, they are hailing the goodness of lowering the mill rate by 0.2%, "on the back of strong grand list growth". Of course it's strong growth, you're raising the assessments, no need to raise the mill rate! Not to mention, seems like the assessor and deputy assessor pull down some decent coin. Not bad for searching NADA and google all day long.
    Last edited by Badfish; 07-06-2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: edited for content

Post Thanks / Like
    If you guys have 12 minutes, let me know what you think. This was the attempt for a 'second' appeal for last year. I think I-Team / Hartford Courant would be interested:

Post Thanks / Like
    And this is the reason you need to have the car registered as a 1965 in CT

Just got my tax bill for $20.00

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m trying. So far, unsuccessful. As mentioned above, spoke with the inspector over the phone, he said that they now go by frame manufacturer date, not ‘year it most closely resembles’.

For a very short period of a few months, I actually was able to get the historic plates, however DMV notified me that since the car was ‘inspected as a 2004’, I couldn’t have historic plates. The change apparently needs to occur at the ‘inspection level’. They pulled the 1965 registration and issued me standard plates. That’s when I called the inspector directly and got the above feedback. Others have suggested I go and discuss with the inspector in person, so maybe when they open, I will do that.

I called the assessors office on Monday. Same story as last year, telling me to appeal it. Well, we already know how that’s gonna go. They said that they take an average of all cobra values publicly available, and that’s how they assessed it. So despite all of the documentation I provided over the last year on the value differences between a Factory Five and more expensive brands, they still broad-brushed the assessment using ‘all Cobras’. I guess being 16+ year old kit has no bearing either. Talk about abuse of power and taking advantage of the taxpayer. $1450 due for 2020 annual vehicle tax.

So I guess we can sell our cars for $8000 more than we could in 2019?!
    Last edited by Badfish; 07-08-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Badfish I sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Badfish did you see this https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Tax-Questi...ax-Information

Scroll down to Assessment Appeals and Exemptions

Assessment Appeals

Assessment appeals should first be directed to your assessor and then to the local Board of Assessments Appeals (BAA). The BAA meets during the month of September. September is solely for appeals relating to motor vehicle assessments appearing on the preceding October 1st Grand List. Appearance before the BAA is required in order for the Board to consider your appeal. If you are unable to appear in person, you may give written authorization for someone to appear on your behalf as your agent. All documentation substantiating your appeal should be presented during the meeting. Any questions regarding the appeal process should be directed to your local tax assessor.

Exemptions

Property tax exemptions are available to qualified individuals such as: honorably discharged veterans, or their surviving spouses may be eligible for exemptions/and or assistance with their property tax payments. For further information about these exemptions please contact the Assessor in your municipality.

Please Note: A new exemption form must be filed whenever you move from one municipality to another. Please contact your assessor for further information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any one here in MA know how it works here. I planned on ordering a kit and I hadn't thought of that. I was also wondering about the sales tax when you register the car. Do they subtract taxes you already paid for the kit or other parts or do they get you twice?

Post Thanks / Like
    My excise and sales tax was based on the cost of the kit and major components; engine, transmission. Keep all your receipts. The better documentation you keep, the better off you'll be, not only tax wise but with the whole registration process. You will most likely need to be the expert when dealing with the RMV, salvage group and inspection.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    But how is the sales tax calculated at registration time? Are you saying they taxed you on the kit price plus drive train? Did they subtract for the sales tax you already paid on any of that stuff to get to the total you had to pay at the Registry when you got your plates? If not, you had to pay sales tax twice. So I hope they don't charge sales tax again on what you already paid. When you buy a new car you pay the sales tax, but you haven't paid any already on anything. Get what I'm saying? I'm assuming you pay FFR sales tax if you live in MA.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of those taxes are paid at time of purchase. Bring your receipts showing proof of that to RMV during registration and you are all set. No double tax.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, big relief. Good to know

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man - thanks for continuing to help and suggest ideas. Unfortunately, I did appeal it, and attempted to appeal the appeal. Declined. Check out my above posts on how that went, and now I'm facing the same scenario this year and every year until the car 'becomes 20 years old'. Such BS.

I really hope @FactoryFiveRacing and @Dave Smith are seeing this thread, as these tax implications could harm their customer base in CT. Folks need to strongly weigh the risk of pays $1500 per year, for 20 years, in vehicle property tax, above the cost of the kit build.

Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Badfish did you see this https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Tax-Questi...ax-Information

Scroll down to Assessment Appeals and Exemptions

Assessment Appeals

Assessment appeals should first be directed to your assessor and then to the local Board of Assessments Appeals (BAA). The BAA meets during the month of September. September is solely for appeals relating to motor vehicle assessments appearing on the preceding October 1st Grand List. Appearance before the BAA is required in order for the Board to consider your appeal. If you are unable to appear in person, you may give written authorization for someone to appear on your behalf as your agent. All documentation substantiating your appeal should be presented during the meeting. Any questions regarding the appeal process should be directed to your local tax assessor.

Exemptions

Property tax exemptions are available to qualified individuals such as: honorably discharged veterans, or their surviving spouses may be eligible for exemptions/and or assistance with their property tax payments. For further information about these exemptions please contact the Assessor in your municipality.

Please Note: A new exemption form must be filed whenever you move from one municipality to another. Please contact your assessor for further information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast