Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Road trip to da Cave

Post Thanks / Like

Road trip to da Cave

Well, day 1 is down. A quick 700 miles in right around 12 hours on the road with a few short stops along the way.

On a road we travel all the time, a quick hop over to NM and through the wierdness of Roswell.

Through our getaway spot in Ruidoso and past White Sands, we enter into untraveled (for us) territory.

Into Arizona and to our first pit stop.

About to hit the road after some IHOP waffles!

I know I look pissed in the photo...I'm really not. I have resting pissed face, apparently.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

2. Likes SSNK4US, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's a road trip. Great pics and scenery. Don't worry about resting pissed face. Imagine all the people who have thought twice about saying something stupid in your presence. Be safe and keep enjoying the trip.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe travels Nathan! Be sure to give the bat a big wet one for me

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe travels, nows time for more waiting for it to get done.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pics! Looks like a nice road trip!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fun trip with an excellent ending. Good description of the look on your face, gave me a chuckle.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. Today saw another 360 miles or so for a grand total of around 1060 miles over two days.

We started early, and I was able to chat with Gordon for a few on the phone, though we missed out dropping by his shop. A few (lots) of miles later, we entered California with it's beautiful Palm trees. Although I was now less free, I hardly felt it , though the 109° heat was a bit overly oppressive.

It was a really pretty drive through the pass on the pines to palms highway, a route that kept us out of the traffic.

We finally made it to the cave of the famous Bat. Sorry, Kleiner, I ain't kissing that.

I asked if Miller had any words of response to Jeff K. His answer, with a scowl, was simply "no." A no that said exactly two words. I'll let you guess the words.

We dropped the trailer at Jeff's shop, and tomorrow morning we will unload everything. Tonight we are at the Pechanga, and I'm lucky to have the best copilot along for the ride.

I out-kicked my coverage by a mile.

After picking up the empty trailer tomorrow, the wife and I are to Scottsdale for a few nights before heading back to the Lonestar state on Sunday and back to work on Monday.

Been lots of fun! Can't wait to see this car in color. Ford magnetic grey metallic with BMW titan silver stripes, btw
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    There are lots of wineries in Temecula, the ones we like are Weins, Wilson Creek and Danza. Have a safe trip home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Safe travels Nathan! Be sure to give the bat a big wet one for me

Jeff

JK !!! What is with you and "big wet ones" Seek help brother. THE BIG WET ONE IS WHAT GOT US INTO TROUBLE AT LCS.....ya sure got a shoe full of "The Big Wet" on that deal....but then, I had the smart end. (for once)

Nathan, Sure was a pleasure brother. Safe travels home. Tal;k atcha in a fewweeks...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    JK !!! What is with you and "big wet ones" Seek help brother. THE BIG WET ONE IS WHAT GOT US INTO TROUBLE AT LCS.....ya sure got a shoe full of "The Big Wet" on that deal....
    And there you go...I owe you for that!

Love back at ya' Brother

Captain O

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    There are lots of wineries in Temecula, the ones we like are Weins, Wilson Creek and Danza.
    Do any of them have wine in a box?

Asking for a friend

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    We like Europa Village (Temecula) as they have a good Cabernet.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    We like Europa Village (Temecula) as they have a good Cabernet.
    My youngest was married at Europa four years ago, yes they have nice wines

Post Thanks / Like
    Nathan,

I'm located in Scottsdale and I'm 10 months into a Gen3 Type 65 Coupe build. If you're both interested in checking it out and also enjoying a bit of North Scottsdale hospitality with my wife and I, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, that's a great offer, and I wish we had more time or I'd take you up on it. We're at the Phoenician and have the truck and trailer parked way off at an edge lot. We're going to simply lounge tomorrow by the pool and eat since it's so hard to get the truck and trailer out and about, and then we'll be off super early Sunday to get back to Lubbock at a decent time to get our boys. Best of luck on your build!

Type 65 is one of my favorites, btw, and very well could be my next build.
    Last edited by silver_pilate; 07-19-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do any of them have wine in a box?

Asking for a friend

Jeff
    Of all the things we have said to each other....This is it, #1, Crack me up ! So simple, dare I say elegant in both timing and delivery.....I bow to you sir. Now, gotta go change. I think I peed a little. (ya know, I have comebacks to that but in my mind they're just....just.....just gonna leave it at that). You win this round JK. XOXO...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Jeff! Is it done yet?

19. Thanks ptstew thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
    I happen to know that Jeff isn't on the forum every day and might not see your post so it's best to just call him 3 or 4 times a week and ask

O

Post Thanks / Like

BRILLIAT !!! Insult the chef before he cooks your food....just keep sending back to the kitchen till they get it right (really bad things happen to your food back there). I'll be done when I say I'm done. Keep it up mister and I'll mount your louvers backwards. SO THERE !...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I happen to know that Jeff isn't on the forum every day and might not see your post so it's best to just call him 3 or 4 times a week and ask

O
    It's actually better to text him every two or three hours and twice as often on weekends. That's what I've heard anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep on him about the orings for the front lights, too. He often forgets, but appreciates being reminded.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

O
    I would've sworn you told me daily or he'd forget what he was doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bat. I don’t remember bothering you a bit when you did my car and it came out great. I guess you require more help now, huh?
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    BRILLIAT !!! Insult the chef before he cooks your food....just keep sending back to the kitchen till they get it right (really bad things happen to your food back there). I'll be done when I say I'm done. Keep it up mister and I'll mount your louvers backwards. SO THERE !...da Bat
    Sweet! Ram-air header cooling. About to hit the road early tomorrow morning for a 12 hour blast back to Lubbock. It will be long, but not as miserable as the wait I will endure as the chef cooks my roadster. I promise I won't bug you too much, in spite of the tips from all of these well-meaning forum folks.
    Last edited by silver_pilate; 07-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can ya feel the love in this room.....can ya.....CAN YA !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, put down the rum, that's rover.

Post Thanks / Like
    We just pulled back in from picking up the boys from the grandparents. Grand total for the trip was just shy of 2200 miles over 4 days and 40 hours of driving.

Don't worry about the miles to empty reading. This model of F250 is inaccurate since they raised the tank capacity but didn't change the computer calculation. I've got another 7 gallons before it drains dry.

I'm thinking I'll be shipping the car back home. I have a quote from Reliable whom Jeff likes, so we'll see if we can coordinate that when the paint is done.

Fun trip, but work comes early in the morning, so it's off to bed! Evening, all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking I'll be shipping the car back home. I have a quote from Reliable whom Jeff likes, so we'll see if we can coordinate that when the paint is done.
    Jeff probably knows best, but I used Regal Auto Transport based in Georgia to ship my car from Southern CA, near Temecula, to Houston about three years ago. They are a private enclosed transporter of specialty vehicles all over the Country. I got their name from a MBZ dealer in CA who used them. They did a really nice job. Phone number is 678-517-6157. I paid $900. Just another option fwiw.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I'm thinking I'll be shipping the car back home. I have a quote from Reliable whom Jeff likes, so we'll see if we can coordinate that when the paint is done...
    Better get in touch with Reliable Nathan. I just got a text message from Brother Bat and he's nearly done. Said that new Hudson sprayer really worked great.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! I contacted them and they are scheduled to pick up on Wednesday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    Jeff probably knows best, but I used Regal Auto Transport based in Georgia to ship my car from Southern CA, near Temecula, to Houston about three years ago. They are a private enclosed transporter of specialty vehicles all over the Country. I got their name from a MBZ dealer in CA who used them. They did a really nice job. Phone number is 678-517-6157. I paid $900. Just another option fwiw.

That is a good tip and something to look into. I will keep their number on file. Hold off Nathan. The new Hudson Sprayer worked wonders but the place where I get my lava rocks for polishing had a quality control issue (the ones they shipped are too smooth) gonna be a couple weeks to get the rough stuff...da Bat