Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New member from Corsicana TX

Post Thanks / Like

New member from Corsicana TX

I'm new and have been reading most builds with a coyote motor Which I plan to build mine with. I "subscribed" to a few so I could go back and review how someone did a modification to the pedals, venting the foot box or other mods that I want to apply to my build. I just realized I can not locate these build threads and ask is this because this is my first post and haven't reached 20 post count? as stated in this thread "IMPORTANT-Registration-and-New-Member-Functionality-PLEASE-READ"

Other than that I'm new to the forum but making a list of parts and mods I plan to have when I make my purchase. I will be ordering the MKIV roadster with coyote and TKO600 transmission. On the fence with the IRS or 3 point rear end. Money is the main issue but I will not be racing the car on a track. I will be doing highway driving to work and back along with back roads. I work 25 minutes down the highway with no traffic and usually jump on the highway, set the cruise control at 80mph and never touch the brakes until its time to exit to work.

so my list of what I think or plan to need follows: (complete kit)

15440 coyote mounts & transmission plate (motor supplied by others)
    *16598 2015 IRS*
    15945 2015-17 IRS manual drive shaft adapter
    *16295 headers for coyote 4 port full length w/ CATs and fastners*
    60175 31 spline driveshaft for coyote and TKO600
    12070 body with cutouts from FFR
    16235 black vinyl seats
    *16473 coyote power steering*
    12066 standard width tubular front lower control arms
    16004 vintage FF/smith style gps gauges
    15812 halibrand 18x9 fronts and 18x11 rears
    12049 wind wings
    12042 sun visors
    16116 front sway bars (yes or no?)
    15998 rear IRS sway bars (yes or no?)
    *16039 vinyl padded glove box dash*
    33862 EFI in tank system
    15109 passenger side black roll bar
    15158 roll bar grommets (set of two)
    15659 assembled side louver set
    15635 center dash support
    15760 14" leather steering wheel
    15590 trunk gas strut kit
    15432 coyote installation kit
    *16668 2018 IRS 3.55 center section, spindle and hubs*
    15368 12.88 front black willwoods
    15986 12.88 rear black willwoods
    *16693 halibrand 18x9 and 18x11 with tires*

Total: $37,539

so the listing with asterisks I have questions:

16295 headers for coyote 4 port full length w/ CATs and fastners *****
    is this the correct exhaust system for a coyote engine to be registered in Texas? Or am I missing parts?
    16811 - Headers: 5.0 L Coyote stainless steel 4-port full length
    16792 - Headers: 5.0L Coyote stainless steel 4-port full length with catalytic convertors

16473 coyote power steering *****
    did I get the correct kit for power steering? or do I need 16799 - Power steering kit (requires pump and bracket)

16039 vinyl padded glove box dash *****
    I think I want to change the gauge layout so is there an option to buy the glove box and cut it in to fit a blank template and have it vinyl wrapped later? I have seen this on someone else's build. (I will not be using a heater blower)

16693 halibrand 18x9 and 18x11 with tires *****
    Now that I look back at this, did I double order wheels? one with tires and one without?
    16693 - Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels, 18” X 9” Front and 18” X 11” Rear & Mickey Thompson Tires, 245/40R18 Front and 295/35R18 Rear (price includes $199 handling fee)

the video is not working for me but could someone explain what the difference is below? (no donor car)
    16598 2015 IRS
    16668 - 2018 Mustang IRS 3.55 Center Section, Spindles, and Hubs

What battery switch do most people use?

After work today I will be meeting with Jetheft in Waco to look over his cobra and to ask questions on his build. I rode in Bobby Worley's Hurricane Motorsports cobra little over a month ago which really got me into pulling the trigger on building one. He built his to be more true that era. I will continue to read everyone's builds and take notes. Sorry if I just asked a bunch of questions but I feel like I'm in the same boat as Wareaglescott as he is new to building a cobra but did a lot of research and reference others suggestions in his build.

I'm used to building my '67 C10 & motorcycles and have always wanted that one nice sports car and have always loved the cobras. So I'm at the right time in my life I can start this build to enjoy later on. Looking forward to everyone's advise as I begin to get ready to order my kit.

2. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! You have a better ideal as to what you are going to build than I did when I built mine. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Madness... You are starting of the right way, asking questions and getting answers. I did not go the Coyote route so I'll not answer those based questions. I can tell you that I have the IRS and really like the ride that it gives me. I have had a few times that I know I would have felt the "bump" much more had I had the 3 link. But either way you will love the car.

The Vinyl padded dash comes pre cut with gauge holes and the glove box. If you want your own layout, you do not want this option.

If you are not doing the IRS, you do not need the IRS Sway Bar

I think you ordered a set of wheels with tires and a set of wheels (15812 halibrand 18x9 fronts and 18x11 rears)

You ordered the center dash support... that's cool... I did not use the one I have and would sell it to you for $65 if interested... you pay a little shipping....

Hope this helps a little... AGAIN, welcome to the fun!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Double check before you purchase your engine. I bought mine directly from Ford Racing. The control pack (engine wiring, ECU, MAF sensor, etc...) doesn't work with Cats. There is an O2 sensor plug/port in each side/header.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of your questions/answers:

16598 2015 IRS: This is mandatory for an IRS builds. Includes the different chassis configuration, upper and lower control arms, toe arms, CV axles, mounting hardware, etc.
    16668 - 2018 Mustang IRS 3.55 Center Section, Spindles, and Hubs: This is optional from Factory Five. These are standard 2015+ Mustang parts, and available through Ford Performance dealers or even salvage or donor.

16473 coyote power steering *****
    did I get the correct kit for power steering? or do I need 16799 - Power steering kit (requires pump and bracket): For a Coyote build, you only want 16473. It's a very nice KRC pump and Coyote mounting bracket, belt, pulley, etc. Also the power rack and hoses.

Yes, you have wheels only then wheels + tires. Pick one or the other.

If you want a custom dash layout, order the blank dash and go from there. Not aware that Factory Five sells a glovebox. Available from a couple forum vendors. Or some, me included, make it ourselves.

I personally prefer parts other than what they include in the 33862 EFI in tank system. Part of the discussion is what size fuel lines you want to use.

You'll get different opinions about sway bars. I have them on mine because they were part of the 20th Anniversary package. But with my nearly 100% street cruising, not sure whether they're needed or not. The front sway bar can be added after the fact pretty easily. The mounts are installed on the chassis in all cases. The rear IRS sway bar can be added later too, although the mounting brackets will have to be installed. They're held on by suspension bolts that have to be removed and then re-installed.

I've had Roadsters with solid axles and now the newer 2015+ IRS. The ride is noticeably better. I highly recommend IRS if you want the best possible ride quality. Also, as Factory Five says, is the highest performance setup.

Can't help you with the long tube header options. Factory Five didn't have them available when I bought #8674. Best to call them and explain the difference. Specifically between 16295 and 16792. I expect the ones you're looking for are 16792. But that's only a slightly educated guess, and not on actual experience.

Have to disagree with Ducky2009 on the CATS. You can use CATS with the Ford Performance Coyote control pack. The confusion maybe is that the crate motor PCM Ford provides in the crate Coyote only supports upstream O2 sensors, e.g. before the CATS if used. Production emission systems all have a second set of downstream sensors, e.g. after the CATS, but those aren't supported in the Coyote control pack. System still works. The front O2 sensors do all the work, and the CATS will still do their thing. The rear sensors are mainly monitors and not required for the system to work.

Finally, I assume you know that Factory Five almost always has sales, including right now. As you said, lots of great builds and build threads out there. My #8674 build (link in sig line below) is a Gen 2 Coyote Mk4 with IRS. In its third driving season. Was a fun build and an absolute blast to drive. Good luck with yours.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-25-2019 at 05:41 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.