BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Alternative friction modifier IRS

Post Thanks / Like

Alternative friction modifier IRS

I drained the IRS diff since I needed to exchange the pinion flange. I went to the local ford dealer, and they couldn't get me the XL-3 friction modifier. Can I use any friction modifier out there, or alternatively an oil with limited slip friction modifier already added?

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't get it? That is strange, ordered mine off Amazon. Came 2 days later. I could smell it coming down the street.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-XL-3-Fri.../dp/B000NU5LP6
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.

3. Likes Badfish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'm in Norway. Got a feeling they won't ship that stuff here. Anyway, would be a lot easier for me to find a good alternative locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    Yeah, I'm in Norway. Got a feeling they won't ship that stuff here. Anyway, would be a lot easier for me to find a good alternative locally.
    Well that makes a LOT more sense. Ha
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    In that case I would just get the oil with modifier in it. It doesn't have to be Ford.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    In that case I would just get the oil with modifier in it. It doesn't have to be Ford.
    Just what I needed to hear. Thank you Rich!

Post Thanks / Like
    The additive helps to keep the clutches from popping when turning corners. If it does this after some time to get the oil,and additive mixed, you will know it is not working. I think you will be fine as stated below!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    The additive helps to keep the clutches from popping when turning corners. If it does this after some time to get the oil,and additive mixed, you will know it is not working. I think you will be fine as stated below!
    Thank you, very good info!