BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Fluid

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Fluid

Does anyone have recommendations on a brand of brake fluid to use? I'm going to be filling and bleeding this weekend. Also, how much is usually required? I have the FFR stock brakes front and rear and am using the CNC dual reservoirs. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did this last night and this morning and went through 3 bottles, though I kept trying to bleed a system that had a bad master cylinder that we letting in air. I think that two bottles should be enough unless you run into issues. It is certainly worth the time to go around every connection you have and really tighten it down now.

As for fluid, that depends on how you intend to drive the car. If you plan to do any track days, go with a high temp fluid. Multiple fluid options that should all be fine as long as you change your fluid regularly. If you are just planning to drive it on the street, any DOT 3 fluid should work fine. No need for a high temp fluid unless you plan to track the car or ride the brakes down a mountain.

Post Thanks / Like
    For street driving, I've always used Valvoline DOT 3/4 Synthetic. Common item at most parts stores and not particularly expensive.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Tree -- street car or any use that does not cause extreme heating of the calipers does not need the expensive high temp fluid. I'm not tied to a particular brand (except for my race car) but if there is one you like stay with it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Tree raises an interesting point I had not considered. I'm in Denver, and definitely plan on having some mountain fun with this car. Should I go with hi-temp fluid in anticipation of mountain driving?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I was more trying to point out the extreme with my comment about ridding the brakes down a mountain. I would think you should still be fine with regular fluid as long as you are not a fool about it. Yes, you could possibly overhead your brakes if you stay on the brake pedal for long periods but with the low weight of the car, I think you would need to be pretty hard on the brakes in the mountains to boil a normal brake fluid. If you downshift going down hill and use some engine braking or if you take your foot off the brake pedal every once in a while, I doubt you would over heat a normal fluid.

The run away truck ramps in the mountains are for semi trucks that cook their brakes but that only happens when they fail to keep the truck under control by being in the correct gear and using some engine braking. The amount of weight that those semi trucks can be trying to slow down can create a lot of heat very fast and can actually glaze the brake pads and drums. Braking at it's core is transferring a car's momentum into heat. The amount of momentum that our 2500lbs cars have compared to a loaded up trailer is on another scale and standard cars don't boil their fluid going down mountains, so I think you will be okay.

There are a lot of "I think" and "should" used in there as I have never actually driven one of these cars and I have no experience other then the build process that I am still completing. I am sure some others will be able to add experience and more certainty to the answer but I wanted to respond after my initial response may have made you feel high temp fluid would be needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I agree with Tree's assessment and conclusion.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Also am running Valvoline DOT 3/4 Synthetic.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    All brake fluid is synthetic.
    Do not use DOT 5 (silicone).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    Do not use DOT 5 (silicone).
    Dave,
    That's what was in your chassis when it arrived. I saw the purple in the master cylinder and said "Fudge"...or something like that All lines & hoses got replaced then a full gallon of denatured alcohol was flushed through followed with 2 or 3 quarts of fresh DOT3/4 before bleeding. That fluid along with a couple more items quickly told me all I needed to know about the guy who started the build and was why it got torn all the way down to the bare frame for a complete do-over!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is DOT 5 Silicone not recommended?
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    Why is DOT 5 Silicone not recommended?
    It can be and has been discussed ad nauseum. Here's a cut & paste of a response I made to the same question a few years ago:

...trust me on this---DO NOT USE DOT5. In a nutshell it is a silicone fluid and retains millions of tiny air bubbles making it compressible meaning you will never get a firm pedal. Additionally it is non-hygroscopic (does not mix with water) so any moisture will stay separated and since H2O is heavier than the silicone it will settle in the low points; i.e. calipers. Get the brakes hot, the water boils and you have no brakes! Stick with glycol based DOT3, 4 or 5.1 fluid.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Chjort,

I'm near Denver and for my car I'm using simple DOT 3 fluid in my Wilwoods. Even in the mountains, you're not going to heat your brakes up to race temps unless you ride them all the way down the mountain.

Gear down and enjoy the scenery!

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 07-19-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    chjort, like you and Papa, I live in the mountains (7,000' ASL) and travel in any direction is downhill. Think about it -- most of your neighbors daily drivers are quite a bit heavier than any FFR car and they don't come from the factory with high-temp racing brake fluid. They travel the same roads as you.

But if it makes you feel better to spend more of your hard earned $$ on high-temp brake fluid, I use Wilwood EXP 600 Plus Super Hi-Temp racing brake fluid in my race car. It's way more expensive than the generic parts store brand that meets the same federal standards as the all the name brands. It's your $$, spend it like you desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Wilwood fluid also, but I do autocross regularly, and occasionally the track. My daily driver has Valvoline.

I change my fluid every year. Every other is good for a street car. Yes, you should change your fluid in your daily driver too.

Isn't it nice how DOT 5 is silicone and DOT 5.1 isn't? Just to keep it confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly, my 1990 Harley used DOT 5 (silicone) but my '08 used DOT 3. Maybe they decided the DOT 5 wasn't so good- or maybe it was just a cost saver to go back to DOT 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input, guys. You're right that my daily driver doesn't require anything special to handle mountain roads, so this shouldn't either. No need to waste $$ on something that's unnecessary. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Question....

If I remember right, I read somewhere that DOT3 handled moisture better than the others. (i.e., absorbs less moisture). Anyone have any input on that?
    Last edited by boat737; 07-19-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat, DOT-3 brake fluid is made from pure Glycol Ether and has a dry boiling point of 401F & wet boiling point of 284F. DOT-4 is a blend of Glycol Ether & Borate Ester and boiling points are: Dry 446F, Wet 311F. DOT-5.1 is also a mix of Glycol Ether & Borate Ester and boiling points are the same as the DOT-5 silicone fluid: 500F Dry and 356F Wet.

So I'd say that DOT-4 handles water a bit better than DOT-3 if wet boiling point is a critical factor. DOT-5.1 is just a bit better than DOT-4.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Motul 660 in all my performance cars, including the cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    Oddly, my 1990 Harley used DOT 5 (silicone) but my '08 used DOT 3. Maybe they decided the DOT 5 wasn't so good- or maybe it was just a cost saver to go back to DOT 3.
    When DOT 5 came out it sounded like the perfect brake fluid.
    1. Won't hurt your paint.
    2. High boiling point.
    3. Hydrophobic.

Brake fluid that won't absorb water? It does't get any better than that! However, as with everything in life, nothing is free. Hydrophobic turned out to be a bad thing. A ruin your entire brake system bad thing. Everyone thought that water would just not get into the system. It turns out that it gets in there, stays undiluted, and the corrosion starts. One of those it had to get into real world use to see what didn't work situations.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!