BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Roadster builds around Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Any Roadster builds around Indianapolis, IN

Is there anyone building a roadster or has completed a roadster that lives around Indianapolis, Indiana? If there is someone willing I would like to see your build and ask some questions. Soon I will be starting to put a build plan together for a roadster and there are several things I don't understand. First I'm trying to put together the dream car to figure out the cost and then make adjustments if necessary. It would be nice to talk to someone local.

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    post questions on whatever you dont understand here. You will get tons of feedback. This is about the most helpful community of people in the world!
    Of course it does help to see stuff in person but dont be shy about asking stuff here.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff Kleiner is from Bloomington. He’s a professional builder that always has something cooking. I would reach out to him.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    Jeff Kleiner is from Bloomington. He’s a professional builder that always has something cooking. I would reach out to him.

Henry
    Yeah, there's usually something to see here.

Shoot me a message sometime.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Wareaglescott. Yes, I am shy about asking questions. I'll do my best to open up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Jeff! The picture makes me drool. So I'm shy about asking questions because I just don't know a whole lot about motors, car builds, etc. I've used basic hand tools. BUT I want a roadster so I want to learn and I want to build one. I do like to see and talk to people face to face because I can ask more questions and I can have a better understanding. So I have talked to my wife and I was possibly thinking about getting the 25th anniversary Factory Five or waiting 1 or 2 years. It all depends on how comfortable I feel with my knowledge, support team "local and online", and build plan.

Bloomington isn't very far. I will definitely reach out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5 hours away in SE Michigan, but you're welcome to visit here too. Have visitors quite frequently and it's something I enjoy. Have a finished 20th Anniversary Roadster (known to give rides...) and a Gen 3 Coupe under construction. Build threads for both in my sig line below. One hint. The 25th Anniversary Roadster was mentioned for the first time at this year's London Cobra Show. No surprise since they did a 15 and 20. If you really want one of the 25th ones (I'm expecting there will be 25??) you should be ready to pounce when they're announced for sale. Mine is number 3. I was on the phone the minute they were available. They were all sold within a few days. I know of several buyers that waited too long and were disappointed. Couple came back on the market, but generally they went fast.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cjharrol View Post
    Wow, Jeff! The picture makes me drool. So I'm shy about asking questions because I just don't know a whole lot about motors, car builds, etc. I've used basic hand tools. BUT I want a roadster so I want to learn and I want to build one. I do like to see and talk to people face to face because I can ask more questions and I can have a better understanding. So I have talked to my wife and I was possibly thinking about getting the 25th anniversary Factory Five or waiting 1 or 2 years. It all depends on how comfortable I feel with my knowledge, support team "local and online", and build plan.
    You sound like a great candidate for the build school! I've have never heard anyone express regrets after attending. I know the instructors and they are all more than willing to help you learn and answer questions in a laid back, hands on setting.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edwardb I'll have to take you up on that sometime. I have watched a few videos where Dave Smith mentioned the 1st 25th anniversary car was going to the London Cobra Show for their fundraiser. In a July 1st Factory Five Racing facebook video he mentioned using the Ford 5.2 Aluminator XS new coyote engine 580 hp. They built the 25th anniversary car at Barrett Jackson. I figured you would have to pounce to get the 25th anniversary car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I was planning on going to the build school before buying the kit. Although I have to sort out my build and estimated cost first. Right now I'm getting a little bit of sticker shock and I still have things to add. This may be taboo but how much is everyone spending on their builds? $70-$80,000? I'm estimating prep & paint $10,000, Engine & trans. $20 - $22, Factory five kit and upgrade brakes, shocks $33 - $36K plus additional custom changes/misc. $5,000. As the saying goes "I don't know what I don't know".

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be a tad on the high side with engine and trans estimate. I went with BluePrint and ordered a ready-to-install 347 with EFI and power steering mated to a Tremec TKO-600 just at $16k delivered to my house. Depending on how you approach the build, don't be surprised if you top $60k. That said, guys are building them for half that.

I approached my build in three phases.

Kit purchase
    Engine and trans purchase
    Paint & body

You can easily spread the total build cost over a year or more.
    Last edited by Papa; 07-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeffski Is Da-Man With Da-Plan!

That's New Orleans Who Dat Nation Speak For:

Mr. Jeff Kleiner is an Excellent Professional Builder who can build a car for you and paint it too.

Jeff has really helped me with all aspects of my build and I've learned a lot.

https://youtu.be/meBYeI96_A8
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-20-2019 at 05:57 PM.

13. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I was planning on going to the build school before buying the kit. Although I have to sort out my build and estimated cost first. Right now I'm getting a little bit of sticker shock and I still have things to add. This may be taboo but how much is everyone spending on their builds? $70-$80,000? I'm estimating prep & paint $10,000, Engine & trans. $20 - $22, Factory five kit and upgrade brakes, shocks $33 - $36K plus additional custom changes/misc. $5,000. As the saying goes "I don't know what I don't know".
    Looks like you checked every box on the order sheet. Seriously though, agreed you are on the high end. But then again, depends on what you want. Do an IRS build with all the options, high end engine, paint, etc. it certainly adds up. You can do a nice engine (Coyote??) for less. The high end Wilwood brakes and dual action shocks are expensive options. Nice (I sprang for them...) but depending on how you use the car, may not even tell the difference. Same comment for things like chrome roll bar(s), leather seats, stainless exhaust, etc. You're on the right track though. Develop a build plan starting with how you plan to use the car, put the budget together, and go from there. Don't forget Factory Five almost always has some type of sale going. Good luck.

If you do make it up to the build school, that's not too far from me. Lots of my visitors are in town for the build school. Didn't take the class myself. Didn't know it existed before I was knee deep in my first build. But have visited a number of times and know the instructors. A first class situation and great opportunity to learn and decide if that's for you.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just crossed the $40,000.00 mark, but I had to replace my engine block mid stream or I would have been around $35,000.00 had my Former Motor Mentor not screwed up my first engine.... Paint will add another 3,500 to the cost, but I'm doing the body work and one of my pals is shooting the color and clear for me so most folks don't have this option....Also, my car is a very basic build with a 3 Link rear with manual steering and brakes is it is a Keep It Simple Stupid kind of build.

On another note the sweet spot for power is about 325-350 HP with a push rod (SBF / Short Deck) motor before the car becomes a total tire shredding machine so 302, 331, 347, 363 are great options that give you the most room in the engine bay.

Coyote motors are great options too if you have the skills to install them but they are over my head so that wasn't an option for me.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-21-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    ...Coyote motors are great options too if you have the skills to install them, but they are over my head so that wasn't an option for me.
    Don't be afraid of a Coyote---control pack+connecting 4 wires and it will run like your daily driver.

Jeff

17. Likes frankeeski, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This car has been a dream of mine for a long time. My wife thought if I'm going to spend the money I might as well get everything I want so I don't have any regrets. I'm a high performance guy So yes, I checked most if not all of the performance options. Do I need the 12.88" Front Wilwood Brakes Drilled & Slotted, the 12.88" IRS Wilwood Brakes Drilled & Slotted and the double adjustable KONI? I don't know. That's where I ask your opinion. I do like the look but would a less expensive option perform just as well. I do want a 500 - 625 hp motor (more on this in a minute). My skill set prevents me from building an engine, transmission, rear end, or prep. & paint. Those items have to be turnkey. How am I going to use the car? Well, not as often as a daily driver since I have 20 month old son and the police wouldn't like the car seat next to me in the cobra. But as often and as close to a daily driver as possible. I would drive it on the interstate whenever I go to see family which is around 240 miles round trip which is several times a month. Regarding budget I usually like to come in high with the actual coming out at budget or less.

Regarding the engine I was thinking of two different options: Blueprint engines Ford 427c.i. either (carbureted / fuel injection) 541hp, or GM 427c.i. LS 625hp. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can use either if I want the expanded foot box that Edwardb talks about in his Mk4 #7750 build. At the London Cobra show the Blueprint rep. said a car with a large cam should be carbureted and not fuel injected. I don't remember why. What's your opinion? I was leaning to F.I. because my auto mechanic said better mpg. In my next post I will list all my options I currently have chosen and a few more questions on whether some of these option are even helpful. Oh, I won't be listing the custom upgrades yet like the drop or wider foot box, thicker dash panel, etc. since I'm still creating it. I am open to everyone's opinion on everything. Ok, I missed commenting on the GM 427c.i. LS 625hp. Blueprint didn't match this up to a transmission. So what transmission would work. Would the T-56 Magnum work? I like the idea of a six speed for the interstate.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an awesome build you have sketched out there. If you are concerned about being turn key with the engine and transmission, I recommend going with a Ford setup as the GM won't just go in without a bit more planning and modifications. The newer MK4 has the modified driver's foot box already and it is still tight. If a 427 is what you want, you will find options designed for the roadster from multiple supporting vendors. Just be clear that it's going into a FFR roadster and you should be good to go with motor mounts, oil pan, etc. Good luck and keep those ideas and questions coming.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

20. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... How am I going to use the car? ...as often and as close to a daily driver as possible. I would drive it on the interstate whenever I go to see family which is around 240 miles round trip which is several times a month...
    Well...for a cruiser, which is what you described, you don't NEED the big Wilwoods or DA shocks---but if that's what you WANT go right ahead. You definitely don't need 500-625 horsepower. That isn't a recipe for a car that will be easy to live on a near daily basis or be especially pleasant to drive, especially for long distances several times a month; 400ish will be more than enough (which just happens to put us back to Coyote territory). By your own admission you are new at this which should rule out considering a non-supported engine such as the LS because it would require a significant amount of fabrication. It hasn't come up yet but one thing that you DO NEED is power steering. Of course all this is just my opinion---I could be wrong

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    To follow up on a couple of comments Jeff made, respond to a couple other points, plus some editorial FWIW.

- All due respect to my GM friends, and the LS is a great powerplant, but you already said you're a turnkey guy, and there's nothing turnkey about putting a non-supported engine in one of these. Based on what you've said so far, would encourage otherwise. Additionally, not that it matters maybe (and most don't want to talk about it at this stage) but you're killing resale value with a non-Ford engine. I was talking to someone at London, and said with a non-Ford engine might as well not even have an engine. That's probably a little strong (and offensive I suspect to some who have done it) but kind of paints a picture.

- For a street cruiser, 500-625 HP, especially at the higher end, is great bragging rights for open hood shows and cruise-ins. But you'll never use on the street. With performance tires that handle reasonable temp ranges and wet (it happens) you'll never hook up that much power. Not and be safe. Have you ridden or driven one of these? In the 400 range, as Jeff said, they're extremely quick and still have to be careful is hooking up well. And to drive as much as you're describing, a little less power is going to be more civil. Lots of guys I've talked to with extreme high HP cars don't find them enjoyable to drive. Again, not everyone will agree with that, but engines pushed to the max often aren't as streetable.

- The high option Wilwood brakes and Koni DA shocks look great and work really well. Are they worth the multi-thousand add to the price? You have to decide. Well set up, two cars side-by-side, I doubt you would tell the difference in street driving. But they are cool.

- Yes, yes, yes for power steering. Having had both, no comparison. My usual speech: Not just for the reduced effort which agreed isn't needed when in motion, but for the greatly improved front end geometry and how the car centers and drives.

- A T-56 really doesn't change much for highway driving IMO. The TKO and T-56 have very similar 5th and 6th (respectively) overdrive ratios where you would typically have them for highway cruising. The difference is the T-56 has two overdrives (.80 and .63) where the TKO has only one. Most choose the .64 version. The T-56 is nice, and the .80 overdrive results in better spacing between gears. Have one in my Gen 3 Coupe build, where it fits easily. A tight fit in the Roadster, and some mods may be required.

- As already mentioned, Factory Five has changed the footboxes quite a bit since my #7750 build. Mainly on the driver's side where the current models have maxed the space much more than my Roadster build from that vintage. There is some space to be gained on the passenger side, depending on what engine is used. But after doing it, I question the effort based on what's gained. Easy for me to say because I don't usually sit on that side...

- I'm far from an expert on engines and cams, but clearly a cam needs to take EFI into account if that's what you're doing. I'm not sure the term "large cam" really covers it. More about separation angle, duration, etc. Anyone building an engine for you (if that's what you do) should understand what cam specs would work best with EFI. Speaking of EFI, agreed it would probably improve MPG some. But to be honest, most of the time in these cars with the miles driven not a huge consideration. The real advantages are in starting and overall driveability. Plus, in theory, should be easier to tune than a carb. I say theory because it's not always plug and play. But still the direction I would go if I were building an engine today.

- One final comment. My current #8674 20th Anniversary Roadster started life planned for a 427 small block EFI build. That's how I ordered it. Was going to be a DART block build by the same builder that did the engine for my #7750 build. Doing my homework, was surprised how much it was going to cost. I was going to go ahead with it, but received some pretty strong recommendations for considering a Coyote build and found it was a great value for what it was plus a two year warranty. Decided to make the change and I am a huge convert. As Jeff said, daily driver style starting and running. It can pot around town as mild as you want. Or get into it and hang on. I know it's not traditional and for some that's a deal breaker. But it's an amazing combination in these cars. And I say that after having two SBF builds that I drove extensively. Harder to install? Depends I guess. A little more wiring but it's been done enough that it's well sorted out. Once it's in, you may want to add a custom tune, but other than that just drive it. I've lost track of how many rides I've given in mine, and to a person they were impressed. Two guys in our local club have traded in their traditional style Cobras (different brands, turnkeys) for Coyote power and love them. OK, will get off my soapbox on that one.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-21-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I recommend going with a Ford setup as the GM won't just go in without a bit more planning and modifications.
    Double Ditto With Papa Dave regarding NOT going down the GM route if you don't feel like re-engineering the world!

Going to the Dark Side isn't hard, but it isn't all that easy either plus it soaks up additional cash and a good bit of time just figuring things out.

Had my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell not been willing to help me set my drive-line I wouldn't have been able to pull off my combination.

https://youtu.be/3xj_jeviwKQ
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-22-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa, were you happy with BluePrint engines? Was there anything that you didn't like about them? I see you got the EFI does that mean you had to buy the EFI In-Tank Fuel System from Factory Five? Or is that not really needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I will update this as I finalize my choices.

Here are my Factory Five Roadster options:
    -Complete Kit
    -Powder coated chasis
    -IRS kit
    -Headers: Stainless Steel 4-port full length (I’m getting chrome do I still choose this option?)
    -Body cut outs
    -Leather Roadster Seats
    -Power steering kit (requires pump & bracket)
    -Vintage Factory Five / Smiths Style GPS Gauges
    -Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels 18” X 9” front and 18” X 11” rear
    -Polished Stainless Side Exhaust
    -Wind Wings
    -Sun Visors
    -Vintage Wiper Kit
    -Front Swaybar
    -2015 IRS Rear swaybar
    -Weatherproof Battery Cutoff (is this really needed or is this more anti-theft or battery saver )
    -Heater-Defroster ????
    -EFI In-Tank Fuel System ???
    -Chrome Driver Side Roll-Bar
    -Passenger Side Chrome Roll-Bar (wife doesn’t want it / I was thinking safety)
    -Roll Bar grommets
    -Assembled Side Louver Set
    -Double Adj. KONI Front & Rear IRS Shocks ???
    -2015 Mustange IRS 13” rear brake kit
    -2018 Mustang IRS 3.55 center section, spindles, and Hubs
    -12.88” Front Wilwood Brakes, Red Calipers, Drilled & Slotted (maybe Cobra brakes???)
    -12.88” 2015 IRS Wilwood Brakes, Red Calipers, Drilled & Slotted (maybe Cobra brakes???)

Tires – Nitto - undecided
    Paint – Marlin Blue Metallic with race strips (Sherwin- Williams paint code: FACFIVE5)
    Engine: 427 c.i. or Coyote (plus custom tune) - undecided
    Transmission: undecided
    Last edited by cjharrol; 07-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Comments FYI regarding your choices:

- Not sure what you mean by "Stainless Steel" (4th item on list)
    - I personally recommend getting the factory body cutouts. Makes the various installations easier/quicker having an actual starting point. Just understand they are only starting points. Not final or exact. List nearly everything with the fiberglass, it's cut/trim to fit your build.
    - I highly recommend Gas-N Performance SS pipes over the Factory Five SS pipes. Higher quality, quieter, last longer. I recommend taking the standard plain steel pipes with your kit order. Use them for the build, go-kart, whatever. If you decide you'd prefer the SS, buy the Gas-N's and sell the plain steel pipes. You'll be very close to the same price as the FF SS pipes.
    - Assembled side louver. Yes, get those. The standard side louvers are a flat piece of aluminum with laser cuts. You fold it open. Can be made to look OK (I guess) but the assembled ones are totally different and a nice upgrade.
    - Battery cut-off is a personal builder choice. Many including me use them for safety, security, and also it's one option for how to do the power wiring. But there are many different versions available other than the one FF sells. Maybe leave off the list and buy what you want after looking at options. If used.
    - If you go IRS, Cobra rear brakes aren't an option. Either the 2015+ Mustang rear brakes (couple of varieties) or the optional Wilwoods.
    - You'll need to make an engine and transmission choice in order to finalize multiple options on your kit order: Motor mounts, headers, driveshaft, power steering to name a few. But, if you're undecided, you can still place your order one way and change later. As long as it's before the production start date. Don't feel like the initial order is one and done. You'll be asked to do a final review on your order before final payment, but even before then you can call and change. But getting the initial order made (1) reserves your production and completion dates, (2) gives you whatever sale is offered at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa, were you happy with BluePrint engines? Was there anything that you didn't like about them? I see you got the EFI does that mean you had to buy the EFI In-Tank Fuel System from Factory Five? Or is that not really needed?
    I'm very happy with my BluePrint purchase. My only issue was with the original EFI that came with the engine. I couldn't get it to dial in. BluePrint sent me a new Holley Sniper to replace the FAST EFI, and it's been perfect since. They have great customer service and build top notch engines. On the fuel system, I did opt to go with an in-tank pump. You can buy what you need for a fraction of the FFR option.

By the way, my car is currently at Jeff Kleiner's getting body & paint. If you get a chance to visit his shop, check it out.
    Last edited by Papa; 07-24-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of good points were made against the LS so I’ll toss it and stick with a Ford. Regarding horsepower Jeff said “That isn’t a recipe for a car that will be easy to live on a near daily basis or be especially pleasant to drive”. I’m assuming that means gas would cost a lot and it would be hard to control on the interstate. Jeff would be right that’s not what I’m after. Again I don’t have experience driving cars with that kind of hp. I own a 303hp Pontiac Grand Prix GXP front wheel drive which is not comparable.
    Several of you mentioned Coyote. Coyote’s hp ranges from 435 to 580hp and cost $11,000 to $20,000 comparable to other Ford motors. Why do you like the Coyote? Edward commented on this thanks. I’m open to the Coyote but I like the 427 c.i. because it’s traditional and I like the sound. I really need to see, hear, and experience both to make a decision. Edwardb mentioned you can ”pot around town as mild as you want or get into it and hang on” which I like the idea of that.

Thank you for your comments. I am changing some of my build and rethinking based on what you say

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Regarding horsepower Jeff said “That isn’t a recipe for a car that will be easy to live on a near daily basis or be especially pleasant to drive”. I’m assuming that means gas would cost a lot and it would be hard to control on the interstate. Why do you like the Coyote?
    Not fuel mileage; nobody really cares about that! By the time you start talking about that sort of power level out of a Windsor based engine low speed, around town driveability goes out the window. Case in point, last year I did body & paint for a member here who has a 427 Windsor and he complained that even after extensive tuning it is so temperamental and unhappy below 3,000 RPM that he can almost not drive it in his neighborhood. Others with similar setups chimed in with the same experiences. As Paul (edwardb) pointed out the Coyote can make impressive power while still retaining good manners thanks to modern design technology and computer controls.

...I like the 427 c.i. because it’s traditional and I like the sound....
    Just an FYI regarding "traditional"; the Blueprint 427 is a Windsor derived stroker that has nothing in common with the FE based 427/428 used in the original cars other than the displacement. They sure do sound good though!

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Several of you mentioned Coyote. Coyote’s hp ranges from 435 to 580hp and cost $11,000 to $20,000 comparable to other Ford motors. Why do you like the Coyote? Edward commented on this thanks. I’m open to the Coyote but I like the 427 c.i. because it’s traditional and I like the sound. I really need to see, hear, and experience both to make a decision. Edwardb mentioned you can ”pot around town as mild as you want or get into it and hang on” which I like the idea of that.
    Promised I was done talking about the Coyote, but follow-up to your comments. Street price for a new Gen 2 Coyote crate (2015 - 2017, 435 HP) and control pack (electronics) is in the $9K range. Many of the builds you'll see on here are this version, including my #8674 build. These are still available, but not in production any more so when they're gone they're gone. Street price for the Gen 3 Coyote crate (2018+, 460 HP) and control pack is roughly $1k more. Only a few builds that I know of since they haven't been out a long time. My Gen 3 Coupe build has the first production delivery from Ford Performance. The upwards of $20K versions you cite are Coyote derivatives that some use, but aren't as common and are obviously much more power. Based on everything you've said, no reason IMO to look any further than the Gen 2 or possibly the Gen 3 base Coyote versions.

As far as look and sound, let me offer this for your review. About a year ago, the Autoblog organization approached our local club (Great Lakes Cobra Club) and wanted to do a story and video about our cars, club, etc. The club president asked me if I would work with them. After shooting hours of video and a couple interviews, several months ago they finally published a video on their website, YouTube, etc. Factory Five and Ford Performance also posted it on their websites. The video was professionally shot and produced, although with a decidedly amateur spokesperson. () It took a turn toward my retirement and retirement projects, but that's OK. It's had almost 67K views on YouTube, and some rather interesting comments. But mainly if you look at it there are a number of shots where the Coyote is audible so you can get a little bit of an idea what it sounds like. https://youtu.be/gCBLH-mr7ME. Check it out. The invitation remains always open for a personal visit and ride.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-25-2019 at 08:15 AM.

31. Likes GoDadGo, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video! Couldn't resist commenting on a couple of the comments left by others. Well done, Paul.

33. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Nice video! Couldn't resist commenting on a couple of the comments left by others. Well done, Paul.
    Glad you saw it. Thought the word about that video was out to most everyone, but obviously not! Thanks for the generous comments. It's been fascinating watching the comments come in. Overwhelmingly complimentary. Not to dwell on them, but negative comments around the usual subject we all get asked about frequently. It's not "real." It will always be a "kit car." Dual roll bars, non-traditional engine, and 18-inch wheels received attention. Then there was the comment about Factory Fives are a waste of money, too dangerous to ride in, and the only "real" ones are from Superformance. Was a long post that either was deleted by the author or YouTube. Lots of interesting people out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I didn't know I was talking to a celebrity, Edwardb Nice video and car. The "Stainless Steel" (4th item on list) is the headers from FF. I will take your advice and go the Gas-N Performance for headers and side pipes. I definitely want to come visit both Jeff and Edwardb but I need a week or two before I can message you two. Jeff, how much longer will you have Papa's car?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a plug for BluePrint Engines from a very happy customer

Thought I would add my $.02 worth... I'm obviously very happy with the BluePrint engines option. I have the 347 with Carb. Since Feb 2nd 2019, I've put 7000 miles on my 20th Anniversary MK4 and have loved every minute of it. The 347 has 417hp/427ftlb torque. It is all the power you can ask for and yet still very easy to drive on the street. I've got the idle set at 600 and have a fantastic sounding lope. The 427 from BluePrint is a monster with a very large cam. Idle on it will be at about 900-1000 making it a bit more excitable in a parking lot or just driving around a small neighborhood. Meaning that you will have to be in and out of the clutch just to keep the speed down when your not actually trying to go. (not sure if that makes sense, but just imagine driving your DD around a parking lot with the idle up real high, you'd be on the brakes a lot. Either way IMO the BluePrint Engine's route was very good for me and many others. Really plug and play sort of speak. Lift it out of the crate, put on the motor mounts and drop it in the engine bay. Attache the wiring, the headers and put some oil in it. Fire it up....

One Very Happy Carl!.jpg

Here is what the 347 does off the line on the drag strip...
    Be sure you have the volume turned up before you hit play to hear the awesome sound of all that horse power...
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS BLUE PRINT ENGINE PROMOTION HAS EXPIRED, BUT BE SURE TO MENTION TO JOHNNY THAT YOU SAW IT HERE!!!

This is a little video promotions I did for BluePrint Engines.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 02-22-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    My car dreams are going to be pushed off because my son is the most important thing to me. My son is 21 months old and he was born with Hirschsprung's disease. (Go to Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio for world renowned specialist who are leading the way for Hirschsprung's disease. They are amazing there. Thanks to Dr. Woods my son is doing great now regarding Hirschsprung's disease). In a NICU in Indianapolis, Indiana in his second week of life a doctor gave my son an antibiotic for two weeks straight even though a kidney test was in the high normal range. By the way kidney issues are not associated with Hirschsprung's disease. The doctors were searching for other issues. My wife and I have been proactive and have given him probiotic powder ever since he could eat on his own. But for the last 25+ days he's thrown up and had extreme diarrhea. The Pediatrician thought he might have a bug in the beginning but by day 10 we started doing three different labs which the most detailed one took two week to get the results. So basically my son is gut injured. I'm going to focus on fixing him through my own research and finding a specialist. I just wanted to let you know why I won't be on here for awhile.

Thanks, Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm finally back. My son and I had some health problems but we are all better now. So back to the Cobra planning stage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't watch the video Badasp427 posted on 7/28/2019 at 8:39am. It says, "if the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in" but I am signed in. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,
    I’m on the northeast side not far from you. I’ll be lifting the body off my car in the next week or so. Your welcome to come take a look if you’d like.
    John
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be great, John. Thanks. I just need to coordinate with my wife verse the time you are available.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't watch the video Badasp427 posted on 7/28/2019 at 8:39am. It says, "if the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in" but I am signed in. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hey there... Sorry, that promotion had ended and I had made the video private. It is again active, but the promotion has expired.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Will someone be so kind to tell me the dimensions of the Cobra. I'm having trouble finding them. I mainly need the length and width. I'm trying to figure out how much space I will have my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will someone be so kind to tell me the dimensions of the Cobra. I'm having trouble finding them. I mainly need the length and width. I'm trying to figure out how much space I will have my garage.
    Take a look towards the bottom of this page you will find the dimensions I believe you’re looking for.

https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/mk4/design/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The car is about 13'4" feet long and at the hips (rear fenders) it is about 6'2" at the widest point.
    My one bay shop is under my house and I was A-Okay to do my build.

Bodywork Inside My Shop:
    https://youtu.be/6UK6K2jcwTU

My posts are on 9'0" centers and the length from end to end is 19'0".
    If you have a one-car garage that is 12 X 20, it can be done, but it would be a little tight.

Graduation Walk Around:
    https://youtu.be/9WEe6-wdNtA
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-05-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast