FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Freight+Customs broker?

Post Thanks / Like

Freight+Customs broker?

We have just ordered a kit from Factory Five. Factory Five suggested MC freight to transport the kit...however they don’t have a forklift to lift the 2500lb crate off the truck when it arrives. Any other suggestions?

Also...we were connected with A+A Customs Brokers...but they dont seemed particularly well versed in the importation of such kits...and even said they can’t be imported if not “15 years old or older”. Any suggestions?

Many thanks. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    What country? Canada?

>>> LOL, that's what happens when you can't sleep and look at the forum in the middle of the night on your tablet. Didn't see it was in the Canadian section....

As others below have said, contact Ryan as you'll want to chat with him about getting the Canadian completion kit but you'll also have to take care of a few other things.....

1. You need to make a submission to Transport Canada for permission to import the parts. FFR outlines the process here https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-...tional-orders/ It is quite simple and doesn't take a lot of effort. But this is step 1
    2. Have you considered renting a u-haul and meeting Stewart at the border? Stewart is definitely the transport company of choice and deal with FFs all day long. They have standard locations near the border where they will meet you and put the kit into your hands. If you do it this way then a) you don't need to pay the crating fee and b) you don't need a customs broker
    3. If you can't bring the kit across the border yourself, then you will need a broker to do pre-clearance. I had my engine delivered to my home, ordered from California. For clearing this I used www.clearit.ca It was painless, inexpensive and very easy.

If for some reason you still go the crating route, there should be an option to have the crate delivered to the transport company's local warehouse and you go pick it up there. When you go pick it up, you can break the crate down at their warehouse and put the individual pieces in a pickup truck plus trailer (U-Haul).

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by FF33rod; 07-20-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion 1) Contact Ryan Vanlin….2) where in Canada are you located, you could pick it up yourself. The 15 yr old rule is for a built car, your importing car parts.
    Higgy
    Last edited by Higgybulin; 07-20-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Higgy, contact Ryan Valin! I have not ordered my kit yet but contacted him to price out the completion kit and everything else I will need to complete the car. He was very quick to get back to me with a full breakdown of prices and answered all the questions I have had so far. As far as shipping goes I am planning to order and then pick mine up for next spring. Keep us updated on your progress with finding someone to ship your kit. Good luck.
    Dre

Post Thanks / Like
    As others said before: Ryan’s the man.
    And also: Where are you located? If you are in Eastern Canada, do yourself a favor and go get your stuff by yourself. By that I mean the rest of the kit. When crossing the border, if you got the letter from Transport Canada as FFR tells you to get, all you have to do is pay GST and PST. As Higgy said the 15 year rule is for built cars.
    I did all this this spring, so...been there, done that. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    DITTO on Ryan Valin, he will help make sure you get it through, I picked mine up and had no issues getting through the border by simply paying the taxes, they didn't even check my rental truck!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    DITTO on Ryan Valin, he will help make sure you get it through, I picked mine up and had no issues getting through the border by simply paying the taxes, they didn't even check my rental truck!
    Yeah, they didn't even ask to see my Transport Canada authorization... just invoice and get out the credit card...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    As for me they did look into the truck and they did read the TC document.

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting for delivery on mine in early August. I'm having Stewart deliver to a Texaco across the border and taking a trailer down to meet them. Just importing parts so shouldn't be an issue other than to my wallet.

I've imported several cars without a broker, never had an issue. Just get the paperwork in order and pay the man at the window. Parts only should be a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Yeah, they didn't even ask to see my Transport Canada authorization... just invoice and get out the credit card...
    Same with me at the other end of the country (I imported my kit via border crossing in New Brunswick). They just wanted to calculate and get paid the tax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ztoolman44 View Post
    Waiting for delivery on mine in early August. I'm having Stewart deliver to a Texaco across the border and taking a trailer down to meet them. Just importing parts so shouldn't be an issue other than to my wallet.

I've imported several cars without a broker, never had an issue. Just get the paperwork in order and pay the man at the window. Parts only should be a breeze.
    You will still need the Transport Canada documentation. Sometimes they ask for it, sometimes they don't, but I would not try to pickup the kit without it.

12. Likes AJT '33, FF33rod, UpNorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone...who is Ryan Valin and how do I contact him?

Post Thanks / Like
    Read the Canadian section of this page
    https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-...tional-orders/

Ryan is the FF canadian rep. Super helpful. Contact info on the FF canadian order page. For example bottom of this page
    https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-...-canadian-kit/

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104