Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What's the ground clearance?

Post Thanks / Like

What's the ground clearance?

I'm getting ready to order a car lift. The lift I'm considering comes standard with lifting pads on the end of the arms, but they require a 4" clearance. Will these go under my Cobra, or should I look for shorter pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how the ride height is set. I have mine just under 4 inches and it goes on my 4 post lift no problem.
    Easy solution is some wood planks if the car is too low.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    it is tricky getting a cobra up on a 2 post lift with the car sitting on the ground. If you don't have enough clearance you can always make some wood ramps to give you what you need or for a nicer option get some race ramps. My side pipes are the low point. Different motor/exhaust combos give different pipe positioning so hard to say without seeing yours specifically. I wouldn't think in terms of looking for shorter pads, I would think in terms of making the car higher with help under the tires.

https://raceramps.com/
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to drive on 2x6s to get my 2 post to work. Not really a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the lift arms are thicker closer to the posts. So depending on how wide apart the posts are, the lift pads might fit under but the thicker part of the arm might not.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a big different in lift arms and pads. I specifically went for a 2-post model that had low profile arms and pads. A BendPak XPR-10S-LP. At their lowest, the pads are 4.25 inches. Didn't find any that were lower. For the front, I either drive it up on 3/4-inch boards or just bump it up slightly with a floor jack. Back is close depending on how you have it set. But generally it's pretty easy. Another benefit of the low profile arms is they clear the side pipes and body a little better than the regular arms I had on my previous lift.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-21-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all! I ordered a 10,000-lb, 14' Challenger lift, low profile arms and pads. I may still need a booster chair for it, but I'm on my way nonetheless. So that decision is over with. Now on to others.

They poured the slab for my new garage Friday, so by the time it gets here the garage should be framed in and the concrete set up well enough to install it. The engine gets here in about a month also and the car should arrive a couple weeks after that...give or take a week or two. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas...but this is better. LOL I also ordered an air compressor for the garage.
    Last edited by RBachman; 07-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 10,000# lift for a 2200# car? You work on 1 ton trucks too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    This. I have 48" aluminum approach rams for my 4 post (same as Scott) and 2 1/2" race ramps for the 2 post. Both Bendpak 10K models, 2 post with low profile arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, sort of. We have two tractors one 55hp and another smaller 23hp, 2 RTVs, a built up Jeep, pick-up, a convertible sports car, a SUV, the roadster that's coming in a few more weeks. LOL