Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: C8 discussion... honest question

Post Thanks / Like

C8 discussion... honest question

Just wanted to know from the forum members, what’s your take on the new C8 and more specifically what impact it may or may not have on the GTM community? Will a mid engine corvette priced at 60-70k take away from future buyers or do you think their will always be enough of a customer base of people who want to build there own super car, even if that price and performance is a lot closer.
    Last edited by tucker298; 07-21-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question. I think it comes down to what type of person is attracted to component cars. Is that person an assembler or a builder.

Assembler is the person where they like just to put things together in a straight forward manor. When they are done, they can say, I put that baby together. It will look great, but look just like the ones that others have. The C8 is for them.

Builder is the person that doesn't want what everyone else has. This person likes to problem solve, take on hard challenges, create something nobody else has, making changes to their own liking. The project will frustrate them to unbelievable lengths, but if they can make it to the finish line, they will know with a certain pride, that they not only built that car, but they have created something that is magical to them, that few people can do. Than the GTM and other mid-engine component cars are for them.

With that being said, have think that in the near future a totaled C8 will make a great donor for the GTM

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

3. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chevrolet lists the C8 Corvette Stingray coupe’s curb weight at 3,366 pounds
    A 2400 pound mid engined car will always have its niche
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the last two comments have completely summarized the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think beeman hit the mark there. The last GTM I ran across the scales (fully completed with AC, stereo, sound deadening, etc) weighed in at 2520. That's 846 lbs lighter than the C8. 846 lbs is a lot of weight to accelerate, brake and change direction.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's a huge difference between the builder/assembler and the person that writes a check.

If the GTM and Vette/C8 communities have any effect on each other it's minimal except as to the parts used by the GTM builders.

There's a local mechanic, that services and hot rods Corvettes, that built a stretched GTM with a LS & auto trans. The Corvette guys pay about as much attention to the GTM as you would a turd on the sidewalk.

BTW, I've owned 3 Vettes and like the C8.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it will impact the GTM community. Particularly for resale numbers and resale value. In 10 years those new C8s will be in the secondary market and if they sold new for $60k...

Also, I feel that many of the people that don't want to build a GTM, but still want to own one that someone else has built, a lot of those people, they will look at a new/used C8 instead.

I don't see the new C8 as being good for ANY mid engine kit car sales in the future, unless the wrecked ones get cheap enough to be used as donors for kits.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I don't think I could bring myself to build a GTM when something like the C8 can be bought for much less, especially on the used market in a few years. I like the Roadster and Hot Rod kits from FFR because they are really very close to the originals they are mimicking in their simplicity. A well made roadster or hot rod isn't missing anything in comparison to the originals, and in many cases are better in every regard (aside from resell value). It would cost a fortune in time and money to create a sports car that is anywhere close to the C8 in features, performance, comfort, etc... Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    There’s one simple point here that I haven’t seen mentioned; there are no, nor will GM make any (if they stick to what they’ve said), C8s with 3 pedals. I don’t know about anyone else but, regardless of how fast a dual-clutch automatic transmission shifts, I WANT the satisfaction of driving with a manual transmission!!! I’m DONE buying cars with automatics!! I don’t care how fast if is or how it’s the car the experts say you “gotta’ have”, if I can’t have it with a manual transmission, I’m not spending my money on it.
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I am wrong, but I can't imagine the C8 changing much about the GTM. I believe most people who build anything from Factory Five are in it more for the experience of building, then the joy of driving what you personally made.

Does anyone not build a roadster because they can buy a BMW Z4/Z3, Honda S2000, Mazda MX5? They're all front engine roadsters that can be had for substantially less.

A plymouth Prowler over a Hot Rod? I bet they can be had for way cheaper!

A Ford Raptor over a '35 Truck? Maybe a C10? F100?

Factory Five gives you the experience to build your own car. If GM let's you roll to Kentucky and assemble your own C8 from scratch, then there is some competition! (let me build it with a manual too)

12. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the post, we do this to build what we want like we want and make it basically our own design by all the modifications that can be done. There is the challenge of building and as stated driving and showing something that you but every last nut and bolt, your hear and soul into.....something to be very proud of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my position...I think it will effect RESALE of these cars. Those that want the challenge of building will still build, but the resale prices will likely be lower because there are more alternatives like a used C8. There may even be some builders that choose to build something other than a GTM just because they know they will likely not get their money out of it now with a cheap OEM alternative. Don't know about that second statement, but pretty sure the first one is correct. The presence of a relatively cheap alternative to a GTM from a big three OEM will effect resale of the GTM. Likely capping the price at whatever the C8 resells for.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

15. Likes MultumInParvo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Crash,

I agree with you 100% that the C-8 will impact folks wanting to build a GTM, especially considering how difficult that the GTM is to build.
    Also, this truly is perfect timing for Factory Five to introduce the GTF and maybe consider dropping the GTM.
    Like everyone on the forum, I look forward to see what they do at SEMA this year.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Crash,

I agree with you 100% that the C-8 will impact folks wanting to build a GTM, especially considering how difficult that the GTM is to build.
    Also, this truly is perfect timing for Factory Five to introduce the GTF and maybe consider dropping the GTM.
    Like everyone on the forum, I look forward to see what they do at SEMA this year.

Steve
    Hope your incorrect with the GTM being discontinued, it would be a shame. Dave Smith named it the "Flagship" of the company. Let's hope if they do drop the hammer on it, they will at least save one example on the show room floor. It was a huge developmental car for the company.

Too bad it didn't generate enough love/sales for it have more development, like the Mark4, the Hotrod, and the Daytona Coupe.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash you might be right on the resale value and mentioned in a few years the value of the C8 will drop and might make it difficult from a resale point to get good price if selling GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Hope your incorrect with the GTM being discontinued, it would be a shame. Dave Smith named it the "Flagship" of the company. Let's hope if they do drop the hammer on it, they will at least save one example on the show room floor. It was a huge developmental car for the company.

Too bad it didn't generate enough love/sales for it have more development, like the Mark4, the Hotrod, and the Daytona Coupe.

Ron
    One thing you should remember is that in the original concept FFR had proposed only making 500 GTMs and only selling those to then current FFR kit owners/builders. Since we are just over 500 built, I wouldn't be surprised at all if FFR cut production.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Will not have an impact on only the GTM, but on many others (hey NSX, hey LC500, hey R8, hi Ford GT and many other supercars).
    NSX and LC500 are beautiful cars but they're already struggling with their sales, the C8 is a nail in the coffin and I wouldn't like to be the one having to resale them as a used car in a few years when used Corvette will hit the market place.
    What Chevy just did performance / price is just amazing and I bet some manufacturer are cringing.

I know many here may disagree but if for the same amount of money I had to choose between a GTM and a Corvette, I'd choose the C8 in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash, you're spot on. I do agree built GTMs could very well sell for less. They have some much steeper competition!

It's a bummer that FFR might drop the GTM, but curious to see what they come out with next!