Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: New corvette C8 gearbox fit int the GTM

Post Thanks / Like

New corvette C8 gearbox fit int the GTM

•TR-9070 DCT 7-speed dual clutch transmission Made by Tremec, is this an option for the GTM?
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm cannot imagine you wouldn't be able to make it fit, you would need a way to control it though. How would you procure one? I see it being a great option in a few years.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, this is a OEM dealer only item and my bet is they will protect what they have and it wont be for sale any time soon. If you found one from wrecked C8 you would also need all the electronics that go along with it to control the transmission as well and make the interface with the ECU and engine so would add a new level of complexity, but then again anything is possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could see myself ripping out my Porsche gearbox in the future...
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    It is listed on there web site. I think this would be a perfect time for Factory Five to Update this car, with this option for the GTM. I know they have been working on the new GTM with front engine but I think a true supercar is a mid mounted engine. JMHO
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be a downer because I love the GTM, but why would anyone spend $50-$60k on a GTM when you can now have the equivalent Vette, at the same price point, with all the factory computers, safety equipment, and performance? As I said in another thread, if the C8 is really under $60k, it will pretty much make our GTMs obsolete.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

7. Likes Edgeman liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Once the C-8 is out there a while I'm sure more than a few will end up down South at Dino's!

https://corvettesalvage.com/

They are the largest Corvette Only salvage yard in the nation and located in Picayune Mississippi which is about 45 miles North of New Orleans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Once the C-8 is out there a while I'm sure more than a few will end up down South at Dino's!

https://corvettesalvage.com/

They are the largest Corvette Only salvage yard in the nation and located in Picayune Mississippi which is about 45 miles North of New Orleans.
    Yeah I was thinking that some of them are not even going to make it one week off the lot before they are wrecked. It happens now all the time as it is. Granted, the salvage yard is going to be asking a good price for the parts but still cheaper than new from GM.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    What he said exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Not to be a downer because I love the GTM, but why would anyone spend $50-$60k on a GTM when you can now have the equivalent Vette, at the same price point, with all the factory computers, safety equipment, and performance? As I said in another thread, if the C8 is really under $60k, it will pretty much make our GTMs obsolete.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Yeah I was thinking that some of them are not even going to make it one week off the lot before they are wrecked. It happens now all the time as it is. Granted, the salvage yard is going to be asking a good price for the parts but still cheaper than new from GM.

Tim
    Tim,

I think this is going to be a sort of "Hell Cat Moment" for more than a few new Mid-Engine C-8 guys.
    Folks not accustom to piloting a mid-engine machine will make mistakes prior to learning the dynamics of their car.
    This is the exact reason why I have my Rev Limiter set at 4,000 RPM on my MK-4 while I'm learning to drive it.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the TR-9070 DCT 7-speed dual clutch transmission is the unit used in the C8. I'm sure the TR-9070 is for rear wheel drive cars.

The C8 DCT is an 8-speed transaxle. If you could get one, don't hold your breath, I'm sure you could shoehorn it in. But as previously indicated there will be a bunch of control electronics that most likely won't be compatible. Now maybe if you could find the complete drive package you'd have a better chance.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    There’s one box that the C8 won’t check: built by the owner. For many of the people on this forum, that’s the most important box.

14. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's The New C-8 Ya'll!

https://youtu.be/NZGCJu2OaAg

https://youtu.be/n5eb0R095Ys

This Die Hard Chevy Guy Still Thinks The Ford GT Looks Better!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-23-2019 at 09:26 PM.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    How would you procure one? I see it being a great option in a few years.
    Step 1 - rent a u haul trailer

Step 2 - camp out at your favorite cars and coffee in spring of 2020

Step 3 - set up your camp chair at the traditional "don't burnout while leaving cars and coffee" but they do anyway spot

Step 4 - Patiently sip your latte around 10-11 and watch the show (throw a little bleach on the pavement to get the juices flowing)

Step 5 - When that C8 owner takes the bait, be ready with a stack of cash and the trailer

Step 6 - Load up your new donor car and place your GTM order when you get home!

17. Likes GoDadGo, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post

Step 3 - set up your camp chair at the traditional "don't burnout while leaving cars and coffee" but they do anyway spot

Step 4 - Patiently sip your latte around 10-11 and watch the show (throw a little bleach on the pavement to get the juices flowing)

Step 5 - When that C8 owner takes the bait, be ready with a stack of cash and the trailer

Or make friends with the GM at a Chevy dealership and have him call you when a new owner shows up to collect the car. Then show up and wait about a block away. As Steve said earlier it's a Hell Cat Moment. There were plenty of times where the new owner romped on the throttle leaving the lot and totaled it within a block of the dealership.

Granted the Coffee and Cars will probably have more of them at the same time. And once one of them shows off how much power their checkbook gave them more of them will do it.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    As Steve said earlier it's a Hell Cat Moment.
    For The Record:

I added the Rev Limiter to my MK-4 because I almost had one of those Hell Cat Moments during some early Go-Dad-Go-Kart Testing!

https://youtu.be/wOID7yvBRPU

The car is set at 4,000 RPM because I often can suffer from a Special Kind of Stupid that can land you in a ditch or get you killed.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-24-2019 at 12:23 PM.

20. Likes turbomacncheese liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post

One possible flaw with your plan---it assumes that you will still be able to order a GTM by spring of 2020

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    The car is set at 4,000 RPM because I often can suffer from a Special Kind of Stupid that can land you in a ditch or get you killed.
    Don't kid yourself Steve; it's easy enough to get real stupid well below 4,000

Jeff

22. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    One possible flaw with your plan---it assumes that you will still be able to order a GTM by spring of 2020 ;Jeff
    Jeff you know something we don't know? Insider information

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Jeff you know something we don't know? Insider information

Ron
    Jeff is sort of like the Wizard of Oz because he seems to be all knowing all the time so I decided to asked the 8-Ball that I keep on my desk and the response was:

My Sources Say Yes!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-24-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Don't kid yourself Steve; it's easy enough to get real stupid well below 4,000

Jeff
    4,000 RPM's Is Plenty Stupid For Now!

4th Gear....5th Gear....6th Gear

.MPH-4........MPH-5......MPH-6
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-24-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone can buy a C8 Corvette. How many have the skill and tenacity to build a GTM? Be proud!

27. Likes Presto51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What transaxle?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought a mid-engine Corvette would be the end of an iconic car. Evidently others feel it too, the new model orders have almost meet the planned production volume. Speculators or mid-engine enthusiasts? Either way, looks like the trans will be made from unobtainium -- good luck finding one you can afford.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    made from unobtainium -- good luck finding one you can afford
    Actually it's amazing how CHEAP each component of this car is relatively.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Its funny how many people think that this transaxle is going to be so hard to get!

Its a CORVETTE! The Ricardo out of the Ford GT has been for sale all over the place through the years and that's a much lower volume car. It may take a little while before we can get our hands on one but it will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hard part will be figuring out how to control it, I think.....as it will likely tied directly to the engine ECU....as well as other control modules? Sort of like trying to control the AC compressor with one of the newer LS3 crate engine ECU's......can't do it....at least not easily.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

33. Likes flotowngtm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flotowngtm View Post
    Its funny how many people think that this transaxle is going to be so hard to get!

Its a CORVETTE! The Ricardo out of the Ford GT has been for sale all over the place through the years and that's a much lower volume car. It may take a little while before we can get our hands on one but it will happen.
    The Ricardo is/was available in good numbers only because of the manufacturing flaw that required a full recall of that transaxle. Ford made Ricardo produce an entire other batch, one for one, of transaxles so that they could be swapped out of the Ford GT with the fix already done in the transaxle. Then all the recalled transaxles hit the after market at "reasonable" prices, but are drying up now. A Ricardo will cost you WAY more than a Mendeola at this point.

I believe you all are right...the trick will be the electronics for the C8 transaxle. If there are enough out there, I am sure someone wil come up with some sort of controller. Many of the higher end ECUs will control transmissions already, so it is likely just a software problem.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The more I read about the complexity of the production cars, the more I appreciate the simplicity of the roadster. The slight concession may be a coyote instead of the small block. But to me, this is where pure motoring is at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Look For A C-8 Trans-axle At A Junk Yard Near You!

https://youtu.be/jTcjSyujMU8

Post Thanks / Like
    So Leno has a blue C8, this incident appears to have been in the hills of CA, and there is camera equipment on the roof of the C8. Coincidence? I think not.

Wonder if he will show the incident on his show?

Also looks like he had a passenger as the passenger side air bag is also deployed.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

38. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That didn't take long LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    So Leno has a blue C8, this incident appears to have been in the hills of CA, and there is camera equipment on the roof of the C8. Coincidence? I think not.

Wonder if he will show the incident on his show?

Also looks like he had a passenger as the passenger side air bag is also deployed.
    Or

Maybe Leno was using one of the pre-production "mules" that was going to the great crusher in the sky when it's all said and done?

This way it will give GM engineers "real life" crash data, and for Jay's hard work they'll gift him a regular production example

Got your Copart Account ready??

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    There would be a weight penalty as the C-8 trans-axle supposedly weighs 341 pounds... twice the weight of the Mendeola SDR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jgtm View Post
    There would be a weight penalty as the C-8 trans-axle supposedly weighs 341 pounds... twice the weight of the Mendeola SDR5.
    OUCH! Kind of hard to believe it weighs THAT much. It looks to be relatively compact.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The C8 weighs around 3500 pounds if the article below is accurate.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...corvette-specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jgtm View Post
    I'm not understanding the weight penalty issues, unless it applies to certain racing classes?

Thanks

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    I'm not understanding the weight penalty issues, unless it applies to certain racing classes?

Thanks

Ron
    Weight penalty as in....you could either build a GTM that weighs 2500lbs with a Porsche or Mendy trans.....or build a GTM that weighs 2670 with the Vette transaxle.....all other things being equal. Since the low weight is biggest performance advantage the GTM has over a similar production car, the addition of 170 lbs would be a pretty hefty "penalty" to drag around.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I get it, the old butt seat dyno, which in my case, is not that sensitive to notice the extra poundage, but would notice the compensation, of three extra gears, and the millisecond speed in gear changes.

Thanks for the explanation

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.....if the electronics of the transaxle aren't so embedded in the engine programming to be virtually impossible to "work around", the extra gears and gear changes would be a definite plus. The other thing to consider is that IMO, 100% of that extra weight ends up in exactly the wrong place for everything but straight-line drag racing. The GTM is already what.....40/60 front/rear weight split?....and 100% of the extra weight of the new 'Vette transaxle would be behind the rear axles.....adding weight to the rear and actually taking weight away from the front.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    All solid, valid points to consider.

The Vette transaxle install can be accomplished, but when all said and done, you will more likely do a complete redesign of the GTM.

You might have more fun, waiting for a Copart sale and rebuilding a totaled C8.

Thanks

Ron