FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternate Coyote ECU/PCM Mounting Idea

Post Thanks / Like

Alternate Coyote ECU/PCM Mounting Idea

Thought I'd post another idea for Gen II. Coyote ECU/PCM mounting if anyone is interested.

IMG_6396.jpgIMG_4536.jpgIMG_0999.jpgIMG_9590.jpgIMG_9540.jpg

Mounting is done with 1/4"-20 stainless screws directly into 3 nut-serts into the back of the frame at the rear of the radiator tunnel. I also used some rubber washers behind the computer to provide a little vibration dampening. The geometry works out such that you can mount the PCM directly to the frame with three screws without any sort mounting plate/bracket. You could also make a bracket and mount with all 4 screws if you wanted, but this mounting configuration is rock solid with three points. One other slight modification was to cut a notch in top engine cover to allow the PDB->PCM harness to exit— I like it because this rather large harness is now nicely hidden by the cover.

Coolant and A/C lines are not installed in these pictures, but from my mockups it looks like there won't be any interference (I'll post them later).

Quick question:

In the last picture you'll notice that I run the PDB->PCM harness leg right on top of the Engine->PCM harness leg— do you see any issue with this? I have a slight concern that high frequency noise from the injectors and spark plugs might cause noise in the harness, but I suspect the computer is fairly well hardened against electrical noise. Thoughts?

So far I'm pretty happy with this configuration, but always appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 07-22-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. Always interesting to see how others solve the multiple constraints with these installations. Should work fine there as long as everything else you're planning fits. I've personally never heard of anyone experiencing any type of interference or noise issues between the various cables. The Ford Performance instructions themselves describe wrapping some of the cables around the engine anchoring to the existing engine harness.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.