BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Miss during hard acceleration

Post Thanks / Like

Miss during hard acceleration

Experiencing a miss- actually like a cough, under hard acceleration. Occurs once, like a momentary ignition failure, then comes back on as normal. '91 302 with throttle body efi. Most noticed in second gear.
    Maybe a coil breaking down?
    Other ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a plug wire jump...or an arc in the cap...or a coil issue
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried increasing the pump squirt value on the EFI?

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Have you tried increasing the pump squirt value on the EFI?

Rick
    No-don't know what that is. Please explain.
    I have just changed to 24lb injectors with matching MAF and 70mm throttle body.
    Also, am getting a mild backfire between shifts.
    Last edited by davekp; 07-23-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are running rich? What do the plugs look like? Black?
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Sounds like you are running rich? What do the plugs look like? Black?
    Haven't checked the plugs but the exhaust pipes are sooty. Running rich is very likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooty pipes notwithstanding---a stumble/miss under load and exhaust backfire can both indicate a lean condition. If you assure that the plugs are OK try unplugging the oxygen sensors as an experiment. If they got gacked while it was trying to run when you had the incompatible injector/MAF combination they may be giving the ECU bad info which it is trying to compensate for. With them unplugged the O2s will not be not talking to it the ECU so it won't go into closed loop and will just run it off of default tables. If it gets better then check the sensors.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some not so good pics of plug #4- looks lean to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    Here's some not so good pics of plug #4- looks lean to me.
    As I said above, some of your symptoms sound like a lean condition.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Any way to clean or refurbish the O2 sensors if they are suspect?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can remove and try to clean them with throttle body cleaner. Blast them dry with compressed air. Do not scrub them with anything. The ECU should throw a code if the O2 sensors are bad for an extended period.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    No-don't know what that is. Please explain.
    I have just changed to 24lb injectors with matching MAF and 70mm throttle body.
    Also, am getting a mild backfire between shifts.
    Dave

Accelerator/pump, pump Squirt is used To assist in throttle transitions the Atomic EFI has a feature to mimic the pump squirt of a carburetor. This works by increasing fuel delivery by a prescribed percentage any time there is an increase in throttle position. If needed, make small changes of no more than 5% increments without further testing. 25% is sufficient for most engines. Almost all vehicles will use between 15 and 35% pump squirt

On my tb EFI the engine would stumble as you depress the accelerator as Jeff indicated a lean afr once you got to wot the miss would stop. I increased the pump squirt value on my setup the stumble/miss stopped

Your EFI setup may refer to it as some other name

Good luck

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Move the lean cyl inj to another cyl. See is the lean condition follows, or just replace the one injector.
    Unless the TB houses the injs.
    good luck,
    Last edited by Railroad; 07-24-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

14. Likes Norm B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Dave

Accelerator/pump, pump Squirt is used To assist in throttle transitions the Atomic EFI has a feature to mimic the pump squirt of a carburetor. This works by increasing fuel delivery by a prescribed percentage any time there is an increase in throttle position. If needed, make small changes of no more than 5% increments without further testing. 25% is sufficient for most engines. Almost all vehicles will use between 15 and 35% pump squirt

On my tb EFI the engine would stumble as you depress the accelerator as Jeff indicated a lean afr once you got to wot the miss would stop. I increased the pump squirt value on my setup the stumble/miss stopped

Your EFI setup may refer to it as some other name

Good luck

Rick
    I don't think this applies since I have the OEM EEC IV system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Move the lean cyl inj to another cyl. See is the lean condition follows, or just replace the one injector.
    Unless the TB houses the injs.
    good luck,
    Good idea. Could one or two bad injectors cause my problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    What do the other 7 plugs look like Dave?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a bad or dusty MAF. I had it happen on my 93 mustang, would be ok then would miss under power.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turn the fuel pressure up a bit if you have an adjustable one and see if that helps. R
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    What do the other 7 plugs look like Dave?

Jeff
    All are the same except #1. Looks like it wasn't firing. Will check temp at that header pipe next time I start it up. If not firing will check spark. Maybe a bad injector? Can't drive it for a few days since I'm in the middle of doing a mechanical throttle linkage mod. And a lot of other "projects"!

Post Thanks / Like
    If they all look the same that rules out the possibility of "one or two bad injectors".

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    If they all look the same that rules out the possibility of "one or two bad injectors".

Jeff
    But the #1 plug was different, so I'm not ruling anything out yet. Could one bad injector cause the miss?
    Also removed and cleaned the O2 sensors. They were very sooty.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by davekp; 07-25-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it could. Also, if a cylinder isn't firing, it isn't burning the gas OR the oxygen. So the O2 sensor on that side of the engine sees more oxygen, and starts adjusting the mixture.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Dave, I misunderstood what you said and thought you indicated that they all looked the same like #1, not that #1 was different. In that case, yes it could well be an injector---HOWEVER---when we first built the car it had an intermittent on (as best I recall) #7 or 8. After putting a noid light on it I found that the pulse to the injector would come and go and traced it back to bad contact on that injector's wire at the salt & pepper plug. I think Aaron eventually eliminated the S&P plugs and soldered all of the wires but can't say for sure. If you have, or have access to a noid light (I think most Autozone and Advance Auto stores have them in their loaner program) I'd first check it out electrically and if that shows good you could then swap injectors and see if the problem follows. As Craig already pointed out if one cylinder is not running the oxygen sensor will report lean to the ECU and it will richen the mixture ON THAT BANK to try to bring it in which could account for the pipe and sensor looking sooty. Again though, that would only be on the one bank.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The S&P plugs are gone.
    What's a noid light?
    Although both sides were sooty, only the #1 plug looked different.
    Wil continue the troubleshooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Update:
    The good news-
    Cleaned the O2 sensors, installed the correct MAF and new injectors. Great acceleration, some slight sooting in the exhaust. No breakup.
    The bad news-
    Got a speeding ticket while checking it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Post 4 listed new inj. MAF and TB! Then you installed the correct MAF and inj. To fix it in post 25.
    What changed from post 4 to 25 on your setup?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    Post 4 listed new inj. MAF and TB! Then you installed the correct MAF and inj. To fix it in post 25.
    I agree that was confusing..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    I incorrectly had a MAF for a '94, but I needed one for a '91. They are different. I also cleaned the O2 sensors. Since post #25 I discovered I had the wrong spark plugs. Changed these to the correct plugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of your previous problems are most likely due to the 94 MAF. From the research I have done the outputs are completely different from the 93 and earlier MAF. Your computer would have been trying to compensate for some pretty weird airflow readings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, That seems to be the case.
    When I put in the correct MAF but still had the incorrect plugs, I was getting a rich (I think) condition on #1 cylinder only. I'm waiting for a few trips to examine #1 and see If I still have something going on there.
    BTW, I really get nervous when removing and installing plugs in aluminum heads, so I'm giving it some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. This won't help your original problem but Always!! use anti-seize compound on spark plugs going into aluminum heads.
    Ian G

Post Thanks / Like
    I always do.
    But I still get nervous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to take you down a side route.... The last time i put in plugs, no anti-seize. So, i got worried and started searching.

The one thing i will mention here is with lube on the threads, i read that you should decrease the tourqe on the plugs! It looks like the big issue is over tourqing the plugs and deforming or pulling the threads!

Here are two references
    https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...oter-mar-2013/

https://agradetools.com/be-confident...e-like-a-boss/
    Last edited by Just puttering; 08-10-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Second link
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem seems to be solved. I think I may have had an issue with the #1 plug terminal not fully seating on the plug resulting in intermittent firing.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm absolutely anal about using a torque wrench on fasteners but spark plugs are not an item I typically torque. But yes, if you use a lubricant on spark plugs it significantly reduces the torque required to tighten them (just like fasteners). On aluminum heads you should consider using anti-seize containing zinc and use plugs that are zinc or cad plated. Plugs with that black oxide coating may react with the aluminum if left in place for extended periods causing the aluminum to act like an anode and damage the threads in the head.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build