Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Body work bible?

Post Thanks / Like

Body work bible?

I see that there are a number of outstanding threads for bodywork. Are there any good books as well? Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks so much.
    Seth
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this one. Not about fiberglass. But great information on panel gaps and panel flow.

https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Your-Sh.../dp/0760332754

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Ordered. Anything on the glass side?
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are doing glass repair there is no reason to learn how to do it. The advise from Kleiner , myself and the other pros will tell you exactly how to prep these cars better then any book can explain...da bat

5. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Unless you are doing glass repair there is no reason to learn how to do it. The advise from Kleiner , myself and the other pros will tell you exactly how to prep these cars better then any book can explain...da bat
    Wow! Thanks. Can you point me in the direction of your favorite online tutorial so I can start acquiring the products?

While I’m not committed to doing the paint, the fiberglass work I can manage.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    2x what da bat said. I've seen them help forum members, even when they're not painting your car.

Do you plan to paint it yourself?
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to learn as much as I can about the process.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ask questions, like were do I start, and search the forum for others who have done it

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like there are two books....

The Book of Jeff....

And the other Book of Jeff

Amen
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    One book requires rum, the other beer.

12. Likes Cobradavid, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I understand what you are asking, and perhaps I might be able to help...

There are a couple of threads here that do a great job of walking you through the body work on these cars. While not a book, and not necessarily a step-by-step guide, they are really excellent sources of information for those of us doing our own body work. While I hate the answer; "do a search," I think that would provide a good start for you on this subject. However, since I loathe the do a search answer, I will provide a few links that I have saved for when I begin the body work phase on my car:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...rk-thread.html

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...rk-6583-a.html

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...is%27+bodywork

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...int-works.html

I know that other folks have links that they like, or have helped them with their body work, and I am sure they will post them as well.
    Then, what Jeff Miller was saying is that he and a few others who are subject matter experts on paint and body work, can walk you through pretty much anything you may experience. These guys are true craftsman, and are shockingly willing to help anyone who asks. I am constantly amazed at their selflessness, and the help they provide here! Basically, post any question you may have concerning body work and paint, and they will address your questions. The lengths that he and others go to help guys like us is perhaps the greatest gift of this forum!

So, if you want to learn how to do body work and paint your car, you have come to the right place. It's not a book, but the threads can really help get you a jump start, and then any challenges you encounter can be addressed by Jeff Miller (Da Bat), Jeff Kleiner (Captain O-ring), and a few others. I hope this helps answer your question, or perhaps offers a level of comfort that you can do this.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and I hope I have helped in some small way.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a read of this thread on the other forum by Dr. Ruth. Lot of good info for you and it's kind of like a book

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/120-fa...ves-ahead.html

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 07-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree that rule #1 is do what Jeff and Jeff say. That includes products, techniques, the proper amount of alcohol, etc. I painted my own using their advice and am way more than happy the results. I was going to suggest the other forum, but you guys have it locked in. I still think that book is a good read. It really helped me with the bodywork portion as far as gaps and panel flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,
    Take my old Mk4 Bodywork Thread that Steve linked with a grain of salt. I've been debating about taking it down because I do a lot of things differently now and address some of the fitment issues via other means and methods (some things remain the same however; Miller High Life for instance). If you're unsure just ask and you'll get an answer from me, Professor Bat or one of the other guys.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    One comment on the bodywork and paint. Some painters will only do both. If you do the bodywork yourself, they will not paint it. Just because they want the paint to turn out right, and the underlying bodywork may cause problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    (some things remain the same however; Miller High Life for instance)
    So, Kleiner drinks Miller, but Miller drinks rum? Sounds like a scene from Airplane.

There's this one too. I found it quite interesting and informative (not to mention that it shows how the Jeffs are more than willing to answer questions).
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...sonx2-Bodywork

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    So, Kleiner drinks Miller, but Miller drinks rum? Sounds like a scene from Airplane.
    I have first handle knowledge that Captain O likes his craft beers too. I know, I'v seen the inside of his fridge, helped add and subtract to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this thread grew legs! Thanks so
    much!!!
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    For fiberglass, paint, and gelcoat repair, Andy from Boat works Today has tons of information https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0k...zdqFUk3oTaHBuA
    Last edited by chmhasy; 07-25-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright. Step one. 33 hot rod grill shell....

My prep steps are:
    - prep sol
    - comet wash
    - prep sol
    - then 80 grit DA on the seam

I want to roll the trailing edge of the Fiberglas. Can I do that as it is or should I use a filler on the edge then shape?
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you have experience, be careful with a DA. You can remove material amazingly fast. With the exception of some seam grinding, I did all of mine by hand with flexible sanding blocks to keep the shape. Even by hand I removed too much a couple times and had to add more filler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Unless you have experience, be careful with a DA. You can remove material amazingly fast. With the exception of some seam grinding, I did all of mine by hand with flexible sanding blocks to keep the shape. Even by hand I removed too much a couple times and had to add more filler.
    I am pretty handy with a grinder, but I will take your advice under close advisement. How about rolling the edge?
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I am pretty handy with a grinder, but I will take your advice under close advisement. How about rolling the edge?
    Edge rolling I did by hand. It only takes a couple strokes. Wheel well lips I did with a Dremel to get fine control. Then rounded by hand. Even with that, moving with the direction of rotation or against makes a huge difference in the aggression. This was my first one, so my methods were not the quick way. The pros probably giggle at Dremel tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edge rolling I did by hand. It only takes a couple strokes. Wheel well lips I did with a Dremel to get fine control. Then rounded by hand. Even with that, moving with the direction of rotation or against makes a huge difference in the aggression. This was my first one, so my methods were not the quick way. The pros probably giggle at Dremel tools.

more of a snicker then a giggle......I save giggles for Mrs. Bat....WHAT!, TMI ?...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    ...The pros probably giggle at Dremel tools.
    Dremels are kind of cute.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    ...The pros probably giggle at Dremel tools.
    My Army buddies have a saying: "If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

I love my Dremel.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh.... you’d get fussed at in my shop for that.... grinders always face up! Lol

Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Dremels are kind of cute.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    more of a snicker then a giggle......I save giggles for Mrs. Bat....WHAT!, TMI ?...da Bat

You two could go at it with a rusty chainsaw and make it look good.

We mere mortals have to go slow at first or have the fender fall on the floor. "I was just grinding out the parting seam!"

PS. 21,000 miles and a few stone chips later. I still get "Wow, nice paint job" comments thanks to your advice. Even from a couple professional painters. Many thinks again!!!!!
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 07-30-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    Jeff what you doing with my toenail trimmer?

Post Thanks / Like
    You don’t need a bible when the apostles are a swipe of the finger away!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    You don’t need a bible when the apostles are a swipe of the finger away!!

WHO ARE YOU CALLING A...……. whoops , my bad, read it to quickly.....good to go ! da Bat