Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Getting Ready for Delivery

Post Thanks / Like

Getting Ready for Delivery

I'm almost done as for ordering everything I need to get going. The car and engine should arrive around the middle of September, just about 8 weeks out, and I'm in line for paint next year. I am told that my new garage will be completed by then, so I'll have a new shop planned with building a car in mind.

Now I need to order some shelving, and that got me wondering how much I'll need to store parts, boxes and etc. I was thinking some of those wire shelving units would work well. But how many? How deep? How wide? Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

No build pictures of a car yet, so I'm posting the progress on my garage. LOL. The pad was poured Friday. E07988C3-5DED-421C-948C-A98CD5B82BC5.jpg2DF1EF30-ECD4-4314-ACF1-F913F172811A.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that it’s apples to apples, but the hot rod was 28 boxes. I figure I would need at least 10 to 12 feet wide by a couple of feet deep and six or 8 feet high to get them on the shelf. It will still be some big stuff that doesn’t fit.

Do yourself a huge favor and put a lift in while you have the chance. I don’t understand how guys of advancing age build these things rolling around on the floor. I’ve run my car up and down my left at least 50 times and I haven’t even put the motor in yet.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    Not that it’s apples to apples, but the hot rod was 28 boxes. I figure I would need at least 10 to 12 feet wide by a couple of feet deep and six or 8 feet high to get them on the shelf. It will still be some big stuff that doesn’t fit.

Do yourself a huge favor and put a lift in while you have the chance. I don’t understand how guys of advancing age build these things rolling around on the floor. I’ve run my car up and down my left at least 50 times and I haven’t even put the motor in yet.
    Great minds do think alike. The store called to confirm the lift order just yesterday! And apparently, neither of us wants to be rolling around on the cold floor. Like you said, I'm getting too old for that crap. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are all the boxes of my complete kit...
    I have two 4' wide 2' deep shelves that held 80% of the boxes and the rest were the larger boxes that just sat on the floor next to the shelves... Keep them organized and you will be very thankful. Like I told you when I came up to meet with you, keep everything in there box until the box is empty and then set it aside. You will have a great feeling each time a box is emptied.

Also, in this photo you I have two boxes of seats... so the one big box was an extra... but you know about my extra seats...

IMG_1207.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

5. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one of these parts bin racks from Sam's club for $99. It looks like they have gone up a little. You can condense quite a few boxes of smaller parts down to the bins. Easy to see what you have rather than digging through boxes. My car has long been finished, but somehow the bins are still full.
    Bins.jpg

7. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm already putting the advice to good use.

Anyway, there's Just 7 weeks (+/-) until arrival! And it looks like the new garage is going to be ready for it. Roof sheeting goes on today if the rain holds off. Nail inspection Monday and roofing goes on Tuesday. Windows, doors, electrical and plumbing also start next week. My compressor gets here today and the lift should arrive in the next two or three weeks...or so I am "told." LOL.

So, with no car build yet, here's a couple of the garage build.24DB425C-F047-4198-A38C-116432B66D21.jpgD34A568D-12B9-4429-B308-32FDFF5FBB25.jpg

9. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Moly... thats bigger than my house.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new garage and the kit delivery date approaching! What the hell are you putting in there, a big-rig?? That doorway is enormous! I too built a garage expecting to this project. Wishing I had higher ceilings as I had originally planned with trellis framing, but the architect screwed that up in the drawings (and I failed to see it), so now I have A-framed garage with a 9'8" ceiling instead of the 15' I should have had. Sad...

12. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does your family hang out on the lawn chairs and watch the construction crew ?

That is a great setup. Space to work is king!

Terry

14. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The garage started out just for our motorcoach which is 48' long, about 9-1/2' wide at the mirrors, and 14' tall to the antennas on top. But when I pulled trigger on the Cobra, we added another section on the back just before construction started. The big doors are 16'x16'. The building is 60'x25' with a 30'x40' "garage" section added on the back. The garage section will have 15' ceilings and two 10x10 doors which allows me to have a 14' lift and tall enough for my tractor to get in and out. I'm also adding AC/Heat, LED lighting, compressed air system and bathroom. The building is located so that it's to the edge of our property and away from the house. An unexpected bonus is that all noise is directed away from the house. This way when it's necessary to test the engine, the sound from revving and tuning and such will set off the neighbors alarms instead of mine. This is a good thing according to my wife. And if you knew my neighbors, you'd probably want to stop by and see how many Cobras we could get to "harmonize" at one time. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    Congrats on the new garage and the kit delivery date approaching! What the hell are you putting in there, a big-rig?? That doorway is enormous! I too built a garage expecting to this project. Wishing I had higher ceilings as I had originally planned with trellis framing, but the architect screwed that up in the drawings (and I failed to see it), so now I have A-framed garage with a 9'8" ceiling instead of the 15' I should have had. Sad...

Same thing here. The smaller "garage" part was supposed to be vaulted for extra height, but I didn't catch it until the trusses arrived. Thankfully I still have enough for what I want.
    Last edited by RBachman; 08-03-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    ......you'd probably want to stop by and see how many Cobras we could get to "harmonize" at one time. LOL
    Let us know when you're ready to fire it up and we'll join in!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

18. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Let us know when you're ready to fire it up and we'll join in!
    Will do! The neighbors put the kids down for a nap around 2 on the weekends, so I'm thinking 2:15-2:30 is a good time to start. LOL

20. Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also... Add you build info to your signature. When you have a question, people won't have to ask a lot of questions; what engine, accessories, etc... before trying to reply to your question.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed that you are in Murrell's Inlet. I remember when that was a very sleepy little fishing village. I grew up in Myrtle Beach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will that be the museum after the build? Dude envy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I just noticed that you are in Murrell's Inlet. I remember when that was a very sleepy little fishing village. I grew up in Myrtle Beach.
    How long ago did you live here? Our place is off of 707 and just up from Wacca Wache Marina along Collins Creek. I grew up in West Columbia and went to college at USC for engineering. Then USAF and finally worked my way back home to SC before I retired.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyflightPA-C View Post
    Will that be the museum after the build? Dude envy!
    It'll be my mausoleum if my wife gets jealous about me spending too much time there. LOL
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting closer! Factory Five confirmed a completion date of 14 September and Stewart Transport is already on board. I'm expecting delivery the third or 4th week of September and there's a lot to do before then. The garage is on schedule for a 15 September certificate of occupancy and then it's going to be a rush to get the floors painted and tools/equipment/junk moved over from our attached garage. The air compressor and lift arrived so I can get going on those as soon as the painters finish, and DW can park her car inside again.

I'm like a kid waiting on a Red Rider BB Gun for Christmas
    Anticipation-4.png

3BD61F94-91BE-4712-B16A-FA80E3139357.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm almost done as for ordering everything I need to get going. The car and engine should arrive around the middle of September, just about 8 weeks out, and I'm in line for paint next year. I am told that my new garage will be completed by then, so I'll have a new shop planned with building a car in mind.

Now I need to order some shelving, and that got me wondering how much I'll need to store parts, boxes and etc. I was thinking some of those wire shelving units would work well. But how many? How deep? How wide? Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

No build pictures of a car yet, so I'm posting the progress on my garage. LOL. The pad was poured Friday. E07988C3-5DED-421C-948C-A98CD5B82BC5.jpg2DF1EF30-ECD4-4314-ACF1-F913F172811A.jpg
    I used two of the Sam's Club "Muscle Rack" shelving units for my build. Everything fit on them just fine with space to spare. You can see them in the background in this picture:

I didn't catch what kind of lift you bought, but double check with the manufacturer on any concrete cure time requirements before drilling any anchor bolt holes in that pristine floor!

Keep those updates coming; garage looks awesome.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    How long ago did you live here? Our place is off of 707 and just up from Wacca Wache Marina along Collins Creek. I grew up in West Columbia and went to college at USC for engineering. Then USAF and finally worked my way back home to SC before I retired.
    I graduated from Myrtle Beach High across from Chapin Park where the K-Mart was built. I left in 82 after High school, but family was there until about 2010 so it was "home" until then. My HS sweetheart lived in Mt. Gilead, right at the north end of Murrells Inlet. I know where Wacca Wache is. We would get gas for my Dad's boat there. There used to be nothing but the marina, some shacks and mobile homes out there. I remember when by-pass 17 was "Brian Drive", which was a dirt road. MB was quite the fun place to grow up in the 70s / 80s, when cruising and the sexual revolution were still both a thing. Wow I'm showing my age.

29. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I graduated from Myrtle Beach High across from Chapin Park where the K-Mart was built. I left in 82 after High school, but family was there until about 2010 so it was "home" until then. My HS sweetheart lived in Mt. Gilead, right at the north end of Murrells Inlet. I know where Wacca Wache is. We would get gas for my Dad's boat there. There used to be nothing but the marina, some shacks and mobile homes out there. I remember when by-pass 17 was "Brian Drive", which was a dirt road. MB was quite the fun place to grow up in the 70s / 80s, when cruising and the sexual revolution were still both a thing. Wow I'm showing my age.
    Sorry, but just saw this. So are you Gamecock or clemson? LOL
    I grew up in Columbia but spent the summers here at the beach...mostly Pawleys, but worked/lived in MB during college breaks also. I remember driving from Myrtle Beach to Pawleys and seeing nothing but trees from the USAF base to the bait/hardware/general store on the corner at the causeway. My wife used to live in Mt. Gilead before we married and purchased our current place in Murrells Inlet. The area around Wacca Wache is now built up with some rather large luxury homes along the river there.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally!

Well, everything is ordered, paid for, and I am told the kit will be ready for pick-up Saturday. The Forte' engine is complete and also ready to ship. Stewart Shipping is onboard and I'm waiting on them to provide an actual pick-up and delivery schedule. The garage is being painted this week for completion next week. Final trim-out and punch lists items are scheduled for completion by the 27th. My lift, air compressor and tools are also ready to move over and hook up as soon as the painters are done. I have storage shelving on order and about to pull trigger on the first parts/supplies/special tools order.

I decided to use a two part enamel floor paint with a protective poly coat on top. It's supposed to resist all sorts of abuse. I have the option of putting colored chips in the finish and I like the look, but I'm worried that will make it difficult to spot little parts, nuts, bolts, etc. that I drop. Opinions welcomed.

In the meantime, that old Heinz Ketchup "Anticipation" commercial keeps running through my head. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    When you drop parts on those color chips, just get out the push broom and sweep the area. You will be surprised at what else you find.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

33. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife used to live in Mt. Gilead before we married and purchased our current place in Murrells Inlet.
    OMG! Did you marry my ex-wife?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tiny carbon steel particles rust VERY quickly on the epoxy floor. I now run a dehumidifier set at 60% and no longer have problems. And a lift should be required for anyone over 55.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

36. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! Did you marry my ex-wife?
    I don't think so, her ex still lives locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    GOODY GOODY GOODY!!! I just got an email that the Wilwoods are on their way! It's starting to get real! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wilwoods arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately, it's going to take Stewart close to a month to get the car to me. The kit was ready late last week, but they won't be able to pick it up until the first week in October (3 weeks from ready to ship) and I figure maybe another week to get here depending on their route and other deliveries. So about 4 weeks until it arrives I'm guessing. I was hoping for a faster pick-up than the 3 weeks that I was told yesterday, particularly since I've kept them briefed along the way and the "ready to ship date" never changed. Or is this about normal for Stewart? I was told a driver was out of action, but it seems a company that large would have additional drivers available, and I never thought it would take a shipper 3 weeks to grab a load. But I've never ordered a car like this before either. Regardless, it's what it is, but waiting is aggravating and causing consternation, lots of consternation...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks, my ready date is this Saturday, hoping it doesn’t take a month to get mine...
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and an update on the garage. It's mostly going well but lost it today with some ongoing issues with workmanship and subs attempting to cut corners. Today was no exception and resulted in having to fire a painting contractor. I was very clear on the quality of paint I specified and even told them to ensure their bid included the upgrade. It did. But today I catch them using the cheapest junk paint available, it's the wrong color and I found that they skipped out on a second coat of paint in some areas. Did I mention I'm slightly high strung prior military officer with a type A personality, an engineering degree and intense attention to detail with over 35 years in project management and construction? It was not a good day for that contractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and an update on the garage. It's mostly going well but lost it today with some ongoing issues with workmanship and subs attempting to cut corners. Today was no exception and resulted in having to fire a painting contractor. I was very clear on the quality of paint I specified and even told them to ensure their bid included the upgrade. It did. But today I catch them using the cheapest junk paint available, it's the wrong color and I found that they skipped out on a second coat of paint in some areas. Did I mention I'm slightly high strung prior military officer with a type A personality, an engineering degree and intense attention to detail with over 35 years in project management and construction? It was not a good day for that contractor.
    It sucks that you have to wait that long to get the car, but Stewart is, in my opinion, the best option for getting cars from FFR to your garage. Timing is everything and they want to fill their trailers before heading out. Mine was picked up a lot closer to my scheduled pickup date, but it traveled all the way down the east coast, then through Texas and finally up to Colorado. Eleven days on the truck before it got to me. As soon as you see that truck, you'll forget all the waiting.

Funny how military leadership never goes away! I was enlisted and learned very early on to live by the "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way" motto. People that work for me now either appreciate that or find a different job and I'm okay with that.

Hang in there! The anticipation is part of the adventure.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

43. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the encouragement! And, btw, I made E-5 long before O-1 LOL. My biggest irritant on the civilian side of things is people just don't do what you tell them to..they don't listen and for some reason a lot of them don't think you mean what you tell them. There's little attention to detail, little pride in workmanship, little professionalism, etc.. It's why I always sought out prior service applicants when I was hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    It sucks that you have to wait that long to get the car, but Stewart is, in my opinion, the best option for getting cars from FFR to your garage. Timing is everything and they want to fill their trailers before heading out. Mine was picked up a lot closer to my scheduled pickup date, but it traveled all the way down the east coast, then through Texas and finally up to Colorado. Eleven days on the truck before it got to me. As soon as you see that truck, you'll forget all the waiting.

Funny how military leadership never goes away! I was enlisted and learned very early on to live by the "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way" motto. People that work for me now either appreciate that or find a different job and I'm okay with that.

Hang in there! The anticipation is part of the adventure.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Or is this about normal for Stewart?...
    Honestly, it isn't out of the ordinary over the past year or two. In years past I always had cars moving my direction within a week following completion. Understand that "moving my direction" could still mean close to a week in transit depending on the route. Last year I had a Gen 3 Coupe ready to ship the third week of September and it didn't arrive until the second week of November. Others were posting of similar delays. I know it's a tough business with regulations, equipment breakdowns and labor that turns over frequently. With all that I still think Stewart is the best option unless you're within just a few hours of Wareham. While we were at SEMA last year and I was still waiting for them to get the Coupe picked up I was grumbling about my displeasure and Dave said "I thought about buying trucks and starting to do shipping---for about 30 seconds. Then I came to my senses!"

Jeff

46. Thanks RBachman thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for a clearer perspective, Jeff.

It is what it is, and I know that no one else provides the hand glove service and quality that Stewert has set up with their trucks. I'm more frustrated than upset, and that's driven by anticipation. But waiting a few weeks won't hurt either. Especially considering I just wrote checks for an engine and car and my checking account needs a tad more recovery before ordering all the extras. At least everything is fully paid for and I don't owe anything on it, even if I don't have anything other than the Wilwoods. LOL.

I'm hoping Stewart gets some more specialized trucks and drivers. It won't help me, but it will help others. I have a feeling they're about to get very busy in the next few years. Especially so if that Ford/Shelby movie with Brad Pitt is a hit. It'll generate the desire for a lot of people to own one of these beauties. More work for everyone, better economy of scale will keep the costs down, and feed a growing market for even more accessories and modifications/customizations. Other shippers may see a need to customize trailers and provide a competing service. I believe that an alternate shipper would be a very good thing from a competitive/capitalist standpoint. And, if Stewart is backed up that much, it won't hurt their business much, if at all. With a possible bump from the movie, they could very well be even busier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Honestly, it isn't out of the ordinary over the past year or two. In years past I always had cars moving my direction within a week following completion. Understand that "moving my direction" could still mean close to a week in transit depending on the route. Last year I had a Gen 3 Coupe ready to ship the third week of September and it didn't arrive until the second week of November. Others were posting of similar delays. I know it's a tough business with regulations, equipment breakdowns and labor that turns over frequently. With all that I still think Stewart is the best option unless you're within just a few hours of Wareham. While we were at SEMA last year and I was still waiting for them to get the Coupe picked up I was grumbling about my displeasure and Dave said "I thought about buying trucks and starting to do shipping---for about 30 seconds. Then I came to my senses!"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    It's why I always sought out prior service applicants when I was hiring.
    I work for a large company (100K+ employees), and more than 20% are veterans. I have a brand new college hire working for me now, and it's a challenge to keep him engaged. Not a lot of self-motivation in these kids today. They want you to give them the answers, not just the questions. Trying to teach them to solve the problem themselves -- that's what engineers do! I give you requirements, you give me solutions.

49. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I work for a large company (100K+ employees), and more than 20% are veterans. I have a brand new college hire working for me now, and it's a challenge to keep him engaged. Not a lot of self-motivation in these kids today. They want you to give them the answers, not just the questions. Trying to teach them to solve the problem themselves -- that's what engineers do! I give you requirements, you give me solutions.
    Exactly! I have argued with so many young engineers about providing the goals and objectives I tell them and NOT what they want to give me. Environmental's are some of the worst. I hire them to tell me how to do a project legally, safely, and within codes and guidelines. They instead think they get paid to tell you why you can't do a project and you're evil for wanting to put a slab of concrete. Never has anyone hired someone to be a problem, create problems, or accept problems. People get hired to solve them! If you can't design within the box you're given, then design outside the box and make it work anyway. Otherwise I need to hire someone to fill that space they just made. And for the Love of God, please grow some respect!

True story:
    After active duty, I was developing/running a large scale energy efficiency project at Fort Monroe, Fort Eustis and Fort Story, Va in the early 2000's. The base engineer had a set of objectives he needed accomplished within the project. One of my young engineers had a poor opinion of our military (did you know we're dumb and too stupid to know what we need?) He didn't want to give the BCE/DE what he asked for. It was a constant effort with that guy and he made it harder on everyone, including himself, and didn't give a damn. It came to a head with General Abrams at TRADOC (the 4 star son of the 4 star dad). Well, this engineer needed to get into a mechanical room in an office building. The General was standing in front of the door chatting with another star studded senior Army officer. This guy walks up, waits all of 5 seconds, interrupts all those stars with a deep sarcastic sigh and says something like "hey Bud, you want to move out the way so I can get in there and do my job?" I was walking right behind him, fresh from a "do your job" lunch chat, and went numb cold. I blabbered apologies so fast I don't think any of it made sense. I got them laughing when I said that the Generals were welcomed to keep the engineer and send him to Fort Jackson for basic training if they felt necessary. We chatted a bit and it was a big thrill for me. Anyway, there was little respect then, and it's worse now with the hard-core entitlement whiners. Glad I'm out of it and retired now.