FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe #16 finishing details

Post Thanks / Like
    My door pulls arrived and I put them on. I decided to go with a minimal sort of race car look, they are simple black leather kitchen door handles.
    door pull.jpeg
    I think they fit the style of car well and do the job.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    do the brackets that hold side windows get in way while driving?

Post Thanks / Like
    no the coupe is wider inside than the roadster and your shoulder is further back, once you get in there is lots of room. The door sill is wide and it can become an arm rest. I have my Kirkey high backs on mounts and 1 inch square tubing so they are about 2 inches off the floor.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    no the coupe is wider inside than the roadster and your shoulder is further back, once you get in there is lots of room. The door sill is wide and it can become an arm rest. I have my Kirkey high backs on mounts and 1 inch square tubing so they are about 2 inches off the floor.
    David W
    great thanks i was concearned they might be in the way

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while and not much is new. I did install the fittings for the head light covers but because I have to take the hood off for minor paint repair I have not drilled the and installed the covers yet. Winter is here big time now, -40 deg here this morning and even with heat in the garage it is too cold. -40 deg F or C no matter it is the same.
    a few pictures of the head light covers, measure many times and drill once. It looks like the covers will fit without sanding the edges. I just drilled and tapped the fibre glass and they seem secure but i will use a thicker rubber washer so the holes in the covers are not too close to the edge of the plastic.
    HL fitting1.jpegHL fitting 2.jpegHL fitting3.jpeg
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Chairman Cuomos Peoples Republik of Central New Yorkistan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David for great pics and documenting these finishing items. Great build! Be Proud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those fittings look nice. I bought the same ones but maybe you saw in my build thread I chickened out and didn't use them. Sounds like you're getting our cold weather. You can have it. Winter here in SE Michigan (so far!) has been pretty mild.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not done much on the Coupe recently, even with the heat on it is still cold in the garage but Paul got me motivated to install the rear mesh screens. I took a slightly different approach and used 1/2 inch wide black tape to protect the paint. The tape looks slightly wavey because of how the mash cuts but once it is installed you can't see it. I used some of the small rubber bumpers that come with the kit as spacers, SS screws and a SS washer to hide the black rubber. My car is all red so I did not put any black behind the mesh, the red is dark enough. The pictures are done without a flash, just an LED floor light so the look is close to what you see in real life. I am happy with the way they turned out.
    back mesh1.jpegback mesh2.jpegback mesh3.jpegback mesh4.jpeg
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12