BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ALERT: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Radiator Support Brackets Issue

Post Thanks / Like

ALERT: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Radiator Support Brackets Issue

ALERT: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Radiator Support Brackets Issue:

I’ve been final installing the radiator and its air ducting sheet metal today in my Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe and discovered a potential issue.
    The “Rectangle-C” shaped frame support weldment brackets of the radiator are cutting the installed heater hose cushion(s).
    And this cutting is occurring after just a few ins and outs during preparation fitment of the radiator, not after use.
    Here’s what I discovered:

The hose(s) as I configured them, requiring 3 pieces. A single C-shaped bent hose wouldn’t allow the bottom of the radiator to fit.

The issue seems to be that the sharp corner edges of the cut weldment C-bracket is cutting or splitting into the long center hose cushion and the short bottom hose cushion, both of which cushion-support the weight of the radiator.

Here’s evidence of the cut insides of these hose cushions.
    Again, after just a few radiator preparation installations.
    Note, the frayed hose edges are on purpose clearance cutouts to clear some weld bulges of the frame.

I believe that the rubber cushioning has been compromise even before the completion of the car, let along during operation. With a short passage of time and operation of the car, these would probably cut clear thru and possibly fall off.

My solution (so far) is to radius the sharp edge corners of these two support brackets. I considered a full radius, but that would essentially create a single line point of contact, though it would be smooth, it might be problematic on its own long term.
    This would be easier modified before the sheet metal is installed, but in my case it was already permanently installed.
    POR 12 touchup paint will be added and then I’ll continue with new hoses pieces.
    Note that I’ve found thicker wall hose and of a bit larger diameter than what I originally used and will use them, radiator fitment allowing.

An overall thicker bracket plate would have nice to start with.

Has anyone else noticed this issue and done anything to handle it?

Bob

2. Thanks David Williamson thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, will have to check it out.
    My issue is the lower rad hose is touching the frame and the sway bar. The angle or the lower rad outlet forces the hose over to the right side of the frame and there is no space to get the clearance for the sway bar. I put some spacers in the sway bar mounts to get some extra room but it still needs work.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019