Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Quicktime bellhousing to TKO-600 install question

Post Thanks / Like

Quicktime bellhousing to TKO-600 install question

This should be an easy question i fear....

Hey guys,

During my haste to get the transmission mated and installing the engine, I am thinking I left a critical part out. Before I pull the engine a couple of questions:

1. I used a Quicktime RM-6060 FORD TKO bellhousing and a tko 600 from forte. For what ever reason, I didn't even look to see if I needed to use one of the included reducer/adapter ring. The transmission went right in, and I didn't check to see if the ring was needed. Since the instructions don't specifically call it out, I just wanted to verify that I do need to use the adapter ring (4.850 I think).

2. If this ring is needed, is it possible to slide the tko 600 back far enough to install the ring without removing the entire engine assembly?

couple of pics:
    engine on stand.jpgtransmission installed.jpgtrasnmission to engine.jpgengineInstall.jpg

thanks,

Andrew.
    Mk IV base kit #9273 Delivered 1/29/2018
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600
    427w by Fordstrokers w/Holly sniper efi/hyperspark distro and ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that combination uses an alignment ring between the bell housing and TKO. Came with the QuickTime bell. Sorry. Since there are no alignment dowels like the bell to engine, I'm assuming it's important to insure the proper alignment and would do what's necessary to get it in there. Too much at stake to have bad alignment. Guys are able to pull the transmission without pulling the whole engine out. So it's possible I guess. But I haven't tried it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to dial in you bell housing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9f4FhK13U and yes you need one of those rings to ensure center alignment

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answers. That's what I figured, just wanted to double-check. I did run the dial on bellhousing and my offset was within limits. Just plain forgot to install the adapter ring. After looking at what it would take to remove trans with the aluminum installed, I figure I'll just pull the whole thing and save my knuckles.
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine (Quicktime bell and TKO combination) came with two rings. A gold and a silver, two different sizes. I'm pretty sure the silver one is the TKO, and the gold one is for T5. Make sure you get the correct one in.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    You need to dial in you bell housing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9f4FhK13U and yes you need one of those rings to ensure center alignment
    Yes, you need to indicate it in, but this video is a really bad example of how to use an indicator.

First, read the indicator instructions. (Per the link....When looking at the 3:00 o'clock position, you can see what I'm talking about). The needle should be travel toward (or away) from the dial face, not sideways to it. The needle should also be 15-20 degrees off the surface being indicated (almost parallel to it, not pointing almost straight towards it).
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-29-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to close out this thread with some pics...

After pulling engine and transmission, here is the adapter ring I should have installed to begin with:
    adapter ring.jpg

And here it is on the TKO 600:
    adapterringon.jpg

Since bellhousing alignment was mentioned above, and since my friend who helped me pull the engine had not seen it done, I decided to do it again. My first attempt a few weeks ago, I struggled with the magnetic base of my cheap amazon/Pittsburgh dial indicator not staying put. I must have done it 10 times trying to get repeatable measurements. This time, I simply used a flywheel bolt and used it to secure the dial indicator shaft. It was so much easier...don't waste your time trying to get a cheap magnetic base to stay connected....here is a pic of the setup (arrow pointing to flywheel bolt).
    dialcaliperjpg.jpg

I was +.004 top to bottom and +001 side to side, so I am good to go. Thanks again,

-Andrew
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600

8. Likes Ducky2009 liked this post