Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  49

Thread: Graduation of FFR #8692 20th Anniversary MK4 #9 of 20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dark Water Sills - I went with the Dark Water Aluminum Sills. Go them unfinished and once I did all the fitting, trimming, banging etc to get them to fit they were polished. I highly recommend fitting these before you paint. To get them to fit properly I spent a while with a hard rubber mallet getting the curve right and minimizing the gap to the body. Similar to edwardb I trimed the front short just under the hinge to avoid any interference, also easier to fit. I tried to line up the other side to the top of the latch. Messed one set up as cut the top side too short, so started again, to fill as much of that gap as I could. There was a decent amount of trimming to get proper clearance from the carpet to get it to sit flush on the fiberglass. In the end happy with the results and I think was worth the effort.

MK4 20th Anniversary Roadster #8692 - #9 of 20
    Purchased Aug 2015 - Street Legal July 2019
    Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ry-MK4-9-of-20

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil Pressure Sending Unit - Instead of using the oil pressure sending unit that came with the kit. I decided to get one from Speedhut. As I have the mechanical fuel pump right there I liked that this one was more compact and wiring was a little cleaner. I had to swap out the internals of my gauge so it was compatible with this sensor. Speedhut did that along with building be an Oil Temp gauge with my 20th Ann markings. Again I used the speedhut temperature gauge sending unit for both the oil temp and my coolant temperature, wiring and connections matched. For the wire braiding that was right close to the engine I didn't use the painless classic braid used on the rest of my build, I used Insultherm from WireCare.com. It's a resin coated fiberglass which protects up to 1,200. I thought they had some pretty good products. I also used this to protect the wires running along the top of the engine from the dash.

MK4 20th Anniversary Roadster #8692 - #9 of 20
    Purchased Aug 2015 - Street Legal July 2019
    Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ry-MK4-9-of-20