Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Georgia GA State Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Georgia GA State Registration

I wanted to share my experience in the hopes it will help others that are registering in Georgia. There is a good amount of info on the forums but much of it is dated and mostly from pre-COVID.

As background for my situation, I built and registered my roadster originally in NC in 2018 and relocated to Atlanta in 2021. I already had a title from NC that listed the car as a 1965 model and had been through the process of having a NC police officer visit my house to inspect the VIN number.

The biggest challenge I had was getting good info from the GA DMV and property tax assessor as to the process to register and title in GA. Some would tell me because it was already titled in another state, I simply needed to bring the existing title to the Fulton County tax office. Others would tell me I needed to have the VIN inspection done even though I already had a title from another state.

The final conclusion was since the car was titled as a 1965, I needed to redo the VIN check process in GA. Pre-COVID, you could have a law enforcement officer come to your house but this has changed. I needed to take the car to an inspection location near Hartsfield-Jackson Airport and bring a T-22b form for the officer to do a VIN check. The address was 180 Southside Industrial Blvd, Atlanta but they actual do the inspections on Wilson Rd, at a gravel lot slightly north from Southside Industrial.

The officer was very friendly and he quickly checked the VIN on my frame and took the existing title as proof of ownership. The only other required documentation was my driver's license. I had already gotten a GA license but I don't think that was necessary - just proof of identification. There is no fee for the inspection.

I now have the signed T-22b form and should be able to take that to the tax office to register the car.

Hope this helps others.

2. Thanks Alec thanked for this post
    Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uggb123 View Post
    …The address was 180 Southside Industrial Blvd, Atlanta
    I’m in Pickens county and will have to trailer my build (hopefully in a month or so) down to Marietta for inspection. This is the only list of inspection facilities I could find in the GA DMR site: https://dor.georgia.gov/state-certif...age-inspectors
    Interestingly, the GA DMV page for titling an “Assembled and Unconventional Vehicle” doesn’t mention form T-22B. https://dor.georgia.gov/assembled-an...ional-vehicles

Art