Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graduation of FFR #8692 20th Anniversary MK4 #9 of 20

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boyd, Yep the Roush 427SR is 351W based, I also have a mechanical pump which is another reason for the higher mount. Many of the options I had explored would have interfered with the mechanical fuel pump I have. Good luck and let me know if you needed anymore info. Cheers
    MK4 20th Anniversary Roadster #8692 - #9 of 20
    Purchased Aug 2015 - Street Legal July 2019
    Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ry-MK4-9-of-20

2. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dash - So I spent a lot of time thinking and planning the dash layout. First debated the standard dash vs the competition dash. One I decided on Comp dash, I did a layout similar to how edwardb suggested, sitting in the car and laying out the dash. Bought a bunch of circle stickers from Amazon in sizes which matched gauges and just sat in the car with the steering wheel and placed them in the spot I thought worked best which cleared the steering wheel. I marked where the body was sitting so I was sure not to have any interference with the gauges. I also decided to add an Oil Temp gauge. Contacted Speedhut and ordered one which matched my custom 20th Ann gauge with MK4-009 on them. I used to provided blank dash to mock everything up, measured a bunch of times, then measured again, and then cut the dash. Laid it out with the gauges and once I was happy I worked with Nick from Acton Cobra and he cut me a dash with the exact measurements I gave him, used the steering column as a reference. I chose Nick's dash as there is a bend across the bottom and the dash is supper solid. I used the under dash lip to mount the dash to my underdash filler panel. With a similar grab handle mount that edwardb did, the dash is rock solid, doesn't move. I actually put some brackets with the 3m hi strength velcro to hold the dash against the mounting tube. Tried a bunch of different ways to bond the 3m velcro to the aluminum brackets. Thought I had it with contact cement then didn't hold. With the way the dash was built I didn't need it anyway. Couple of points, Nicks dash is a little lower right in the middle, so with the way mine lined up I didn't fully cover the 3/4" frame. So I had to make sure not to trim too much off front body cowl as didn't want to see the top of the dash. As a precaution I painted the 3/4"frame tube black to blend in with the dash. I had about 1/4" right at the high point. Also ask mentioned previously it took quite a bit of fitting, trimming, bending to get the dash to fit properly. As it's so stiff this took a little time. In the end it all worked out and I'm very happy with the dash. I don't like the puffy look with the dash so I didn't use any padding behind the leather. Very happy with how it turned out. Nick did a great job and was bang on with the measurements along with cutting the ignition and switch holes with the straight sides so they don't spin.

4. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glove Box - I used the same hinges as edwardb did in his build. Took a while to get everything lined up. Door, linges, making sure the face was level with the dash and it was a tight closed fit all around. Used a small pieces of leather taped to the dash to help me ensure I got the gaps correct. Used the same VW latch. Fabricated a small bracket from aluminum, again more trial and error getting it in the right spot so the latch caught tightly, while holding the door snug to the opening. Polished it when done. Happy with the way it turned out, don't think I'd change anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumpers
    So similar to many I used the ********** grommets in the front. Takes a little time cutting out the body openings to get them to sit flush, used a dremel with small sanding disc. I bought 3/4" stainless tube from McMaster, cut it to length and polished it. The inside diameter of the 3/4" tube was slightly larger than the long bolts which came with the kit, so I bought some plastic tube again from McMaster to fill in the difference. The long bolt threads into the overider then I have nuts ensuring it stays tight. I used washers to try and get the angle just right so it matches the opening in the body. I great point edwardb made in his post. For the rear I used the couplers, similar to how edwardb did it. Had them powder coated to match the frame. I thought the rear over-riders sat a little too close to the body when I had it all mocked up. So cut some slightly longer 3/4 stainless steel tube (same I used in the fronts) was about 3/8" longer. I used a neoprene washer against the body, then a chrome washer before the tube. I wanted the over-riders to sit out just past the rear lights. Drilled out the rear over-riders and used locknuts to hold in place. Not easy getting the bolts on, took many tries but this worked out well in the end. Looking in the trunk I held the Stainless Steel Threaded rod in place with nuts up against the body I used the same neoprene washer and a chrome washer. To cover the rod inside the trunk I used a piece of the Painless Classic Braid which I used throughout my build. I like the finished look it provides over the plastic wire covering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. I just installed my bumpers but am using the **********s with a welded in nut. I NEVER thought I would get it, but I did.

Highly suggest using the F5 units like you did.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Nice work. I just installed my bumpers but am using the **********s with a welded in nut. I NEVER thought I would get it, but I did.

Highly suggest using the F5 units like you did.
    Thanks Boyd. Funny I had a similar experience, let's just say there were a lot of choice words used trying to get those nuts on! I did buy these stubby flex head ratcheting wrenches which helped and have come in handy a few times since. Cheers

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reverse Light - Living in NYS you need a reverse light for safety inspection. I spent a lot of time researching different options. I really didn't want to install a light in the body. Thought about LED lights on license plate, however not compliant as you need the correct SAE numbers on the lens. I decided on a removable bracket where I installed a clear Lucas reverse lens, had the correct reverse light markings: SAE SRP 69. Made a bracket from some .08 aluminum, powder coated it the gray metallic to match my 20th Ann frame. I used the 3m high strength velcro to attach it. For those wanted I slightly more permanent, nutserts could work as well. Used a weatherpack connector. Like the back end much better without it, but thought it was a decent non-intrusive way to meet the safety requirements then remove. Can always be put back on if needed in future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clear Undercoating
    So with the 20th Ann Kit the engine bay panels, including the elephant ears were powder coated white. I chose to powder coat all the remaining panels the same silver metallic to match the frame. While coating the elephant ears with the black 3M undercoating, I asked my painter, Ron if he had come across any clear undercoating that didn't yellow the panels. After some digging around he came up with the product below. Decided to give it a try. Made my elephant ears, front & rear removable so if it didn't hold up I could always revert to the black. So far very happy with the results, it wipes clear and doesn't have a yellow tint at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carpet - I decided to put my battery cut off switch dead center just above the transmission cover in the front. I went with the one from Breeze as it had the removable key, like the look and that you can remove the key. To make the circular hole in the carpet I heated up an old socket with a butane torch, and it easily cut the hole perfectly round, used smaller bolts for the two small holes. I suggest a couple of practice runs and using a slightly smaller socket as it melts back. By melting the ends I think there is also less chance of fraying. I did the same for all the round holes in the carpet. Happy with the results. I bought some extra carpet from Factory Five to have on hand. For the passenger side floor I made a new full length piece instead of the two pieces which didn't cover the back of the 2" frame. Was also nice having the extra carpet on hand as I had to make several more of the odd shaped sills pieces on the drivers side to get the carpet to cover everything properly.

13. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Removable Trans Cover - As mentioned above I used 4 6/32 black screws which I tapped into the frame to hold the transmission cover on. Didn't want anything across the top and these screws blend in nicely with the black leather. With my setup I was able to turn around the shifter top of the TKO600 to move the shifter I little father forward. Just had enough clearance to the 3/4" frame. I used the FF Metal .060" Trans top, no hole was cut, so I was able to align the hole in the dead center. This piece is also wider than the original which really helps as you need the clearance if you want the carpet to tuck up underneath. Even so I still had to bend out the sides a tiny bit, a little more in the corners, and had to trim a little in front corners. Centering the shift hole also allowed me to put a nutsert in the 3/4" frame and use the top center screw from the shifter ring to hold down the transmission top from the middle. Not sure it was necessary but it all ligned up. I used the lizard skin on the underneath of the transmission cover with the addition of the lizard skin black finishing spray. Underneath the leather I used a very thin piece of padding, so different to my dash which has no padding.

15. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such an amazing car! great work!

17. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carpet Binding - As there was binding already on my 20th Ann floor mats, I tried to find a matching binding. No luck there. I then decided on using the same leather I did my interior in. I tried to bind all the edges that were visible, in addition to the top of the transmission side pieces that are covered by the transmission top. Pleased with the way it turned out. I was able to do everything all from one hide: Dash, glovebox, transmission top, door panels, shifter boot, e-brake boot and all carpet bindings. Still a small gap near the door latch, a tough spot to fill and make it look finished. I did make some panels in the wheel wells to plug the gap between frame and body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dark Water Sills - I went with the Dark Water Aluminum Sills. Go them unfinished and once I did all the fitting, trimming, banging etc to get them to fit they were polished. I highly recommend fitting these before you paint. To get them to fit properly I spent a while with a hard rubber mallet getting the curve right and minimizing the gap to the body. Similar to edwardb I trimed the front short just under the hinge to avoid any interference, also easier to fit. I tried to line up the other side to the top of the latch. Messed one set up as cut the top side too short, so started again, to fill as much of that gap as I could. There was a decent amount of trimming to get proper clearance from the carpet to get it to sit flush on the fiberglass. In the end happy with the results and I think was worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil Pressure Sending Unit - Instead of using the oil pressure sending unit that came with the kit. I decided to get one from Speedhut. As I have the mechanical fuel pump right there I liked that this one was more compact and wiring was a little cleaner. I had to swap out the internals of my gauge so it was compatible with this sensor. Speedhut did that along with building be an Oil Temp gauge with my 20th Ann markings. Again I used the speedhut temperature gauge sending unit for both the oil temp and my coolant temperature, wiring and connections matched. For the wire braiding that was right close to the engine I didn't use the painless classic braid used on the rest of my build, I used Insultherm from WireCare.com. It's a resin coated fiberglass which protects up to 1,200. I thought they had some pretty good products. I also used this to protect the wires running along the top of the engine from the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hood Gasket - Originally I was planning on using the small rubber bumpers placed around the perimeter of hood opening on the body. In discussions with my painter, he had suggested using a thin gasket placed in 4 places on the hood and only needing 2 rubber bumpers on the body hood opening. The two rubber bumpers went on the dark blue, top and bottom, as did the gasket around on the hood. This allowed for a clean look on the body opening when you open the hood. He glued the ends shut of the gasket to give it a finished look. Given the dark blue color of the body, the gasket blends in well. By also not placing the gasket all around the hood the should allow for increased air flow. Hood is good an snug when closed.

22. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The level of detail is outstanding, nice job!!!!!

Mick

24. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too many nice and cool mods and details. Congratulations!

26. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's an absolute work of art and I think we all love it too! Paul, you"ve taken your build to the top level and you went, well, way beyond it! Nicely done!

Dj

28. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alternator Wiring - As mentioned the wiring took me a while as did lot of thinking and research. I changed some of the harness, one was removing all the alternator wires. My set up had a single wire alternator. As my battery was in the front with the Breeze mount. I decided to run a wire from the alternator to a manual reset circuit breaker. I went with 150 amp Blue Sea one. Then directly to the battery. This was a nice short run that kept any of the wires out of the cockpit and by adding the circuit breaker gave me a little protection should the alternator fail. Thought this was cleaner than running the wire back up to the battery cutoff switch. Made a bracket for the breaker out of aluminum and used nutserts should I need to swap out the breaker. Where it's placed it's easy to access. I have a JL Audio battery connector which has 3 inputs, only 2 were use, one line from the alternator/circuit breaker and the other goes to my battery cut off switch mounted in the front middle under the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hardware - I ended up changing a lot of the hardware, McMaster was my go to. Anything that didn't need a strength rated bolt I changed to stainless. Got the button head screw idea from edwardb's build and pretty much used them throughout my build on the drivers foot box, front & rear elephant ears, rear wheel well cockpit filler panels, radiator cowl cover and the two access panels in the trunk. As mentioned previously I had all the door, hood and trunk hinges and brackets all triple chromed. So I ended up changing all the hardware to stainless and chrome. For the doors I went with higher acron nuts to ensure proper clearance. For some reason I couldn't get the doors to swing out enough so I turned the bracket around, used matching acorn nuts there as well. For the straps and belts I used the same black dye edwardb did in his build. Very happy with how those turned out and matches the interior as well.

31. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Door hinges look good.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

33. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really like the door hinges. Nice choice

35. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My God, that is a beautiful built. Well done Paul.

37. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meant to ask in case I missed in in the really nice thread. What is the source for the passenger grab grab handle. Wife could really use that.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the Grab Handle and mounting bracket idea from edwardb's build. It was a great addition. Made the mounting brackets out of steel and had them powder coated to match the frame. Really helps keep the dash in place. Grab Handle is from Eddie Marine - part # 275-24
    https://www.eddiemarine.com/index.ph...&search=275-24

40. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the Breeze locking gas cap option. It's a really nice piece. You need to do a little work to the original cap but I think the finished product is a nice look. I also changed the grounding wire. Made my own from and wrapped it in the painless classic braid, matches what I used throughout my build.

42. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used Weatherpack connectors on all the exterior connections in the build. After a few practice runs with the right crimping tool they were pretty easy to put together.
    I finished all the wires with ancor marine black shrink wrap. Kept the original wire covering which came with the lights. Made installing and removing the lights pretty easy, something that I did many times throughout the build.

44. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another photo of the painless classic braid I used. I also changed all the battery wires. I switched to 2 gauge for the power cables from battery to cut off and also for the starter. I used 2 gauge for the grounding wires. I used 4 gauge wire to the alternator. Thought the ancor marine heat shrink was good quality. Only thing I didn't like was the name written on it, I tried to always have that towards the back so you don't see it. I tapped the frame to hold the clips in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ignition wiring - Again spent a decent amount of time on the wiring schematic for the ignition system. Wiring was one of the most time consuming parts of the build for me. With my power steering set up I couldn't mount the coil on the front of the engine. Thought about the firewall, but that was a long way for the coil / distributor lead. Saw there was a spot on the intake manifold where I could bolt a mounting bracket for the coil. Found a chrome bracket online which worked and swapped out the regular coil with the MSD high vibration coil (which you can lay flat). I painted both the 6AL digital MSD box and the coil the same Dark Metallic Blue as the body, matched what I did with the block, valve covers and air cleaner. As I was planning a stereo I also added an MSD noise capacitor, wired this up on the passenger side as decided to mount the MSD box on top the passenger footbox. Decided on that so I could have access if needed to be swapped out. The original leads from the MSD box were just long enough to reach the coil running behind the firewall. Knowing now how loud the side pipes are, I doubt there is any chance you would hear any interference or noise coming through the stereo with the car running, so not sure it's necessary. Also now that I'm well through the break-in period I have to say I'm really glad the MSD box has a rev limiter, was pretty easy to get to 6250! So highly recommend you use that option on this box.

47. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sharing some photos I took with a decent camera...unfortunately it's the end of the driving season for us here in NY. Getting ready to do an oil change and park the car on the Race Ramps for the season....

49. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tried to use LED's in the build where I could. Used the small low profile LED indicators from Watson's StreetWorks, similar to edwardb, in the dash. Tried both the large and small and settled on the small low profile. They have a nice finish which matches the chrome on the speedhut gauges. They are bright and easy to see during the day. The nut on the back was a pretty tight fit over the wires, one LED came with a wire slightly frayed, easily replaced, but something to keep an eye on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update Crystal Clear 2K Chip Guard - post #88 above - So after 1200 miles wanted to update on clear chip guard I used on the front & rear elephant ears. Think it held up pretty good. Roads around me aren't great so a reasonable amount of rocks/debris. After wiping them down with a mild cleaner, only marks you can notice are very very small clear chip marks. So far happy with the way they have held up and allows me to keep the matching colors throughout the wheel well. As I made both the front and rears removable, worst case if they don't hold up after a full season is to remove and spray with the black 3M which was used on the body. So far so good.

52. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous build. Your attention to detail is flawless.

54. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    2000 Mile Update & Build Suggestions.
    First off, I hope the FFR community and your families are healthy and safe during this time.
    The weather in NY has really been amazing, at these last 2 months, so have had the chance for some great drives. Outside of today, was bound to happen at some point, but got caught in the rain for the first time. Thought I would provide a 2000 mile update. One of the biggest decisions is the engine. I went with a Roush 427 SR, it had 516 hp and 527 ft lbs torque at the flywheel. I got the polished version, matched the block, valve covers and air filter housing color to the body. Came out great and wouldn’t change a thing. I read some previous issues of minor leaks, knock on wood, so far, no issues. It has plenty of power for the weight of the car, you can lose the back end fairly easily in 1st and 2nd and possibly 3rd but really fun to drive. It does have a pretty rough idle, something I presume you don’t get using the Coyote. However, it really sounds great. I don’t think it’s too much power for the car and so far, I’m really happy with how it drives.
    For the side pipes I went with the Gas-N along with their headers. I can’t comment if they are any quieter than the polished FFR ones that came with my kit, but I think they sound great and are not too loud at all. Some wear ear plugs, I don’t. However, it’s up there. You don’t want to be driving beside a concrete highway divider for too long!
    Having 2 kids, I also bought drummer mike’s polished side pipe shields. These really came out great and I would certainly do it again. I actually got caught once before having them on and it’s not fun.
    Lots of debate around a stereo or not. In the end I’m glad I put it in. Hid as much as I could, you can only see the 2 speakers on rear cockpit wall. I certainly don’t use it much on my solo drives, but my eldest daughter enjoys playing DJ when she comes along, so I’m glad it’s in to make her want to come on more drives! If I had to do it again, I would likely hide two speakers in the front somewhere to give is slightly better sound. Above 3k and it’s really tough to hear.
    For the mirrors I got the billet ones from Breeze which attach to the side wings. At first, I thought they were a little close, but they are great mirrors. You can really see a lot and they look great. Much more functional than the fender bullet mirrors on my MGB. So, I would definitely recommend these.
    For the shifter location I did the following. Have a TKO600. I turned the shifter around so it sat a little further up. I also used the finish line bend shifting arm, 427 T5 handle. I managed to pretty much center it on the removable transmission cover I did. The location is very comfortable and easy to drive. I have a fire extinguisher mounted on the rear cockpit wall and everything works fine with no interference. I wouldn’t change a thing with the shifter.
    I have the stock radiator that came with kit, I didn’t install an oil cooler. I did however install a larger overflow canister. Living in NY, I’ve never had any issues with the car overheating. I installed Replica Parts Roadster Aluminum Panel which I think turned out great and I have the breeze Fan shroud which will help a bit as well. Driven the car when it’s 95 degrees out with no issues and no coolant leaks in the garage.
    Used the Dark Water aluminum door sills. Polished these up and think they look great. Very happy with these and they give the interior a nice finished look.
    I did the lizard skin heat & sound spray insulation. I don’t have any air vents; you can feel some heat in the footboxes if its really hot out but it’s not a big deal at all. I also had the headers ceramic coated at Jet Hot. Very happy and no issues with the cockpit getting too hot at all.
    Installed the Russ Thompson dead pedal, happy I did. It’s nice to have a spot to rest the foot when driving on highway.
    For the clutch I have a McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch and the Forte hydraulic setup. I’m happy with this. The car is very drivable in traffic. The one issue to note with the McLeod clutch is I believe its narrowed then a Centerforce. This means you need a longer clutch fork pivot ball to get the right fork angle. The longer McLeod pivot ball has an indentation right at the end so it’s not as wide as the one that comes with the QuickTime bellhousing. This gives you some play when its connected on the fork unless you press the springs closer together. I had an issue with it popping off when I was adjusting the clutch. A huge pain as I had to pull the engine out to fix it. I would either try and find a pivot ball without this indentation or go with a Centerforce clutch.
    The one big mistake I made in the build was when I attached the transmission to the engine. I underestimated how heavy the TKO is and how tight of a fit it is with the engine. Pulling and installing the transmission on my 64 MGB was easy, slide right on every time no issues. First time I installed it on the roadster engine, I lifted it on my own and really had to push/rock it to get it to close into the engine. It was really tough and a tight fit. In the process I think I knocked the fork off one of the springs holding the pivot ball and I got some noise in the go-cart stage. Probably made easier from the issue I mentioned above. In any event I had to pull the engine and trans out fix this. I certainly got some good practice at putting the engine in and out along with installing the tranny. In any event, the second time I reinstalled the transmission I took some longer bolts, cut the heads off, narrowed them a little on the end and screwed them into the bellhousing. I used these as guides so the transmission lined up right from the start and stayed that way even as you push it on. I found this really helped and wished I would have done it the first time.
    The other thing I would do differently is when you have the rolling chassis. Set the ride height up correctly here with how you want it just before the car goes to the body shop. Mine wasn’t set even and I had it set a little high thinking it would settle it was also easier to jack the car up that way. It went to the body shop not at the right height so a little adjusting had to be done to get the body just right.
    I did leather door panels and glad I have the pockets in there. Perfect place to put my cell phone and now a mask! I didn’t do cup holders; I don’t miss them. I like the clean look of the black leather on trans cover.
    I used the Watson Streetworks Billet Dash LED indicator lights. I used the small ones. They are great. Bright so you can easily see them during a sunny day. They look great.
    Used the Tangent Blind Roll Bar kits, these are really great. You don’t have to drill into roll bar, nor do you see a bolt. Holds them good and tight together. Certainly, recommend these.
    I will add more as I think of them.
    For anyone on the fence about building one, bite the bullet and do it. For me it was probably the most rewarding project I have completed to date. Now that it’s finished, I actually miss all the research and the build. I highly recommend this to anyone. I will say that driving it is also ton of fun, you get a lot of looks and questions from all types of people!
    Be safe n healthy!

56. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great update! Congrats on the 2K mile mark. Glad to hear it's working out for you without any issues and that you're having a good time driving it. My 20th (#3) is almost to 7K miles. Still absolutely love driving it, although it has to compete with the Coupe now for drive time. Be safe and stay well.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

58. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Likes Paul Mischenko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    3600 Mile update - Hope everyone had a great driving season and you and your families are safe and healthy. Currently 70 in NY, so got some great drives in last few days!! Car has been driving great, lots of fun. However I do really miss the building, that was a great release and a fun challenge. One of the the gauges I added was an oil temp gauge, had them weld in a bung in back left top of oil pan beside the dipstick. Speed Hut matched my 20th Ann gauges. Works really well, and is a really clean install. Glad I did this. I received a clock with the 20th Ann kit. I added it to the custom competition dash I did to the right of the speedo. I like the look of the dash, however I never use the clock. Also I use the batter cut off switch as security as well so it cuts all the power. I did install a jumper fuse but didn't want any drain on the battery even if it was small. Plus I always wear a watch so I wouldn't install the clock if I had the choice again. Stereo is debated, I enjoy having it, even if you can't hear it too clearly with the side pipes, nice to have for my 90 min rides, plus kids like it. Something I am looking for is clear type plastic to cover the metal strap adjusters on the seat belts. You have to be really careful when taking the belt off not to catch the top of the door, or the polished door sills...outside of just being careful, if anyone has an idea please let me know... For my engine Roush has the idle at 950, that was pretty lumpy when stopped, I adjusted it up slightly to 1000/1050, which is better. The wind wings and visors work well and have stayed in place. As mentioned above I really like the integrated mirrors. I installed a dead pedal and enjoy having it. Nice place to rest your foot, I installed it pretty much level with the clutch. Took some nice photos today and video which I will post next.
    Last edited by Paul Mischenko; 11-07-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

61. Likes GTBradley, Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your build completion. I have #15 of the 20th Anniversary roadsters.
    Hopefully all I lack is Jeff K doing his magic.
    Looking forward to posting some completed pics too.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

63. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome pics and congrats on a great driving season and miles. One suggestion for the shoulder belts. Agree the outside ones can wreak havoc on the paint. Suggestion: Always swing them to the inside of the car. I got in the habit of doing that myself, e.g. always swinging the belt over my head and behind me to the inside. And instruct my riders to the same.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

65. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I've updated. I hope everyone is healthy and doing well. Weather is finally nice in NY and got the Cobra out last weekend for a nice drive. One thing I noticed when putting it away for the winter was a small leak, traced it back to the drivers side valve cover. Did read previously that others with Roush engines had this problem. Tightened it up, which seems to have addressed the issue. For winter storage I've used the Race Ramp curve blocks for under the tires. Pretty pleased with these. Easy to use and no flat spots on the tires at all. I also bought their blocks to set the tires on when working on the car. They work well too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast