BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graduation of FFR #8692 20th Anniversary MK4 #9 of 20

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted to thank everyone for all the encouraging comments regarding the build. Really means a lot coming from fellow builders who know what we've gone through!
    MK4 20th Anniversary Roadster #8692 - #9 of 20
    Purchased Aug 2015 - Street Legal July 2019
    Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ry-MK4-9-of-20

Post Thanks / Like
    Rookie Mistake
    So one the the mistakes I made during the build was drilling into the floor plan for the drivers and passenger floor aluminum. I didn't realize till after that I would be looking at an unfinished rivet on the bottom. I tried to have all the unfinished rivets on the inside covered up with the lizard skin. In coming up with a fix, I tried some black epoxy fill I used to fill other gaps, but didn't like the look. So I decided to drill the holes out, and use some 1/16th SS button head screws held in place with JB weld so they are not coming out. They give a finished look to the underside.

3. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    gorgeous build, in out and under …

love the color.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

5. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the engine, I had the engine block, power-steering body, filter cover, valve covers, MSD box & coil painted body color.
    I also had the oil pan powder coated the metallic gray to match the frame and other aluminum panels so the bottom of the car was matching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to add I had the top of the dipstick done in matching body color and the dipstick tube was metallic grey, matching fame/pan etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought some XPEL vinyl wrap on Amazon, was only $22 for 6" x 84" and cutout and installed some pieces for the rear fenders.
    Took a couple of tries but you can't even see it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Decided to swap out the indicator lights from amber to clear, think it looks better with the colors of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
    Regarding the engine, I had the engine block, power-steering body, filter cover, valve covers, MSD box & coil painted body color.
    I also had the oil pan powder coated the metallic gray to match the frame and other aluminum panels so the bottom of the car was matching.

Absolutely gorgeous.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

11. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to having all the aluminum panels powder coated to match the chassis, for any areas that would be left exposed I also had rivets powder coated to match the frame, worked out pretty well, however I did have to sand off some of the powder coating to ensure the tool could grip the rivet shaft properly. For the trunk access panels I used 10-32 nutserts and stainless steel button head screws. For the battery box top and drop trunk top I used 10-32 nutsert with stainless steel thumb screws to make them easy to remove. I bought the FFR trunk carpet kit and just used the main section. All the edges were bound with the same leather I used for the dash and interior. The carpet wasn't glued down as it's held in place from the battery box cover, drop trunk cover, and roll bars. Doesn't move and should I even need to access the panels below can lift it up. I used the painless classic braid to cover the bumper mounts once the body was installed. Blends in nice with the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the last piece to complete the car. I had Billet Badges do a custom steering wheel badge in the spirit of the 20th Anniversary build. Took them 4 months to complete but I am pretty happy with the outcome. I had the blue in the badge matched to my navy blue body color and the badge was domed so it follows the contour of the steering wheel hub.

14. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's awesome. Very cool touch. I haven't posted in your graduation thread until now, but let me also add my congratulations for your beautiful build. Getting near the end of the third driving season for my 20th Anniversary Roadster, and don't get tired of driving it. You're going to love it. Thanks for the shout out too. It was my pleasure to help whenever I could. You did the work and did it well.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul. Appreciate the words of encouragement and all the help along the way. Many Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome. I’m so excited to be getting mine painted soon as well. I really like your steering wheel. When I first saw the picture I thought like wow how am I going to get mine since I didn’t get one of those in my kit! That is fantastic.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Paint was certainly an exciting and milestone step. Especially the first time seeing the body painted with stripes. Then its homestretch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay now, I commented previously but the details, just wow! Beautiful colors and the continuation of it in the engine bay is awesome. Love what you did with the center piece on the steering wheel.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

20. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul-

You did an awesome job with your build!! I love all of the extra details that really help the car stand apart. The car turned out beautifully, and I know you must be really proud of how she turned out!

I hope you get some driving time before the season closes on you. The weather can be unforgiving up there to be sure.

Congratulations on a stunning build, and thanks also for showing the extra details as well. I really admire the folks that can make the modifications that make these cars so unique, and yours really stand out!

Well done!!

Regards,

Steve

22. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So one more final detail here which was completed. Wanted some slightly different plates s decided to go the custom route. Can't get Historic plates as it's registered as a 2019 Custom. For some reason NYS the ends of the plates are not painted so were left bare, didn't look great, so bought a polished stainless steel frame on Amazon for $30 which after some adjustments worked out well.
    Just finishing up my new floor as well. Decided to go with Dark Grey and & PVC tiles.

24. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like that TNT is dead center in the built not bought license plate!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

26. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In sticking with the theme of the build.
    As I had the blue in the steering wheel badge matched to the body color, we also repainted the hood, trunk and side emblems.
    We replaced the light blue with the blue body color.
    Supposedly the new paint doesn't stick to the chrome, so didn't have to mask everything exactly.
    Also with lots of polished parts, I decided to do the same with the upgraded side louvers that came from FFR.
    Got those to a mirror finish, however had to paint the inside part black and replace the rivet holding them together as you could see the reflection.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the lower breeze radiator support I decided to go with the Replica Part Radiator aluminum piece.
    It's a quality piece. As with everything takes some fitting, but once installed it's in good and snug.
    Benefit is you have a really clean finish on the front as no rivets into the body are needed.
    As with all the bare aluminum I had it mirror polished. Please with the way it fits and looks.

29. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes GTBradley, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fabricated the radiator grill from 3/4" aluminum strips and stainless steel mesh. Very similar to what edwardb did, thanks for the idea, along with many others! Held in place with two screws up top. I also installed 1/4" spacers to keep the screen right off the radiator face. Sides were mirror polished as well. For the brake and oil cooler openings I made paper molds, then cut out the shapes in 3/4" plywood and bend the screen around the shapes. It's held in place on the back with Black Hi-Strength silicon. Feels pretty sturdy. Used the elastic bands to hold them in place while it dried overnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the Factory Five Wind Wing Kit along, Replica Parts Windshield post trim plates and Breeze Billet Mirrors. Decided to install the wind wings so you can read the factory five logo on bottom from the outside instead of the inside. Made sure there was clearance on the bottom to swing them in. Also the hardware to install the billet mirrors doesn't match what comes with the wind wings so ordered matching hardware from McMaster. Didn't like the screw on the outside of the of the windshield post trim plates so turn them around. They aren't going anywhere with the windshield on top of them. To fill the screw hole on the inside, I cut a chrome screw head off and put a little silicon to hold it in place. Very happy with the Breeze Mirrors they work great, installed them on the passenger side as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just looking at the photo, the door isn't closed so the gap all around is even not what it's showing in the photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched a great movie tonight. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it already.

The 24 hour War

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4875844/

34. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes GTBradley, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Receive my Phill & Kay tonneau cover today. Fits well and they were a pleasure to deal with.
    Backing is soft which is nice and black vinyl looks good.
    Ordered the storage bag as well, fits nicely into the trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Tighten those bungee cords

I really like those covers as well. Just a little knowledge from experience make sure that you tighten those bungee cords pretty darn tight that way if it’s in the rain the water will flow off and not puddle. Too much puddling and it could cave-in. I caught mine just before that happened one morning and learned my lesson.

7D1775F6-BB16-4353-9990-86F21A26EBA9.jpeg

0D8E63D7-0D95-48B3-AD34-413AE341C629.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

37. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for the suggestion. Will certainly make note of that when using. Nice catch on your side!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Gas-N side pipes and also used their headers. Georgie was such a pleasure to deal with. We had a couple issues finding the correct flange which gave enough clearance for the spark plug wire with my Roush set up. After a couple tries we got it just right. In trying to keep the engine bay as cool as I could, decided to have the headers, boig cooling pipes ceramic coated at JetHot. I used their Polish Finish which most closely matched a chrome finish. Took about 3-4 weeks for the turn around and I had to sand the headers before sending to ensure a smooth finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a photo of the boig cooling pipes installed. Not a perfect match to the polished engine but pretty close and hopefully the ceramic coating will keep it cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I had my car painted I saw Factory Five had some cool metal signs on their website. Bought both sizes and also had a custom aluminum sign made (that idea came from one of edwardb posts! thanks again) had them all painted to match the car colors. Thought would look cool in the garage.

42. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes edwardb, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did the wipers and hood latches slightly different from the instructions. Instead of drilling through the hood, I bonded nut plates on the inside of the hood (similar to what edwardb did) and used chrome screws to hold the latch in place. Installed the copper bushing on the other side where the shaft exists and this was bonded in place and painted the body color. I made some new clips from angled aluminum and polished both the clips and wings. Originally was going to attach the clips with screws through the edge of the hood perimeter, however a suggestion from my painter was to try and keep that as clean as possible, so I found some small studs which we bonded to the underside of the hood. Holds the clips in place and there are no screws on the other side. I have only 2 small hood grommets, center top and center bottom, with small pieces of gasket attached to the hood (same gasket used on the doors). For the wiper assembly I swapped out the rubber supports underneath and made pieces from square aluminum tubing (similar to how edwardb did it -... anyone see a pattern here!) polished it as well, for the tubing I decided to make new pieces from the same SS 3/8" tubing I used for my fuel lines. Polished them up as well and everything fit in nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

45. Thanks Paul Mischenko thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I had originally planned on using Mike's Trunk MK4 Strut kit you use with the factory hinges. Had the factory hinges chromed and mounted with the kit. Kit came with 40lb struts. I had read a few posts where some people had problems lining up the top part of the trunk as the struts where attached to the hinge were pushing up. Then saw a post where FFR redesigned the hinge and included a spot to mount the strut pin. The result is there is no pressure pushing up on trunk. Had the hinge and brackets shipped out. They are really nice SS, which I polished up to a mirror finish, looks just like chrome. I ordered the recommended 28 lb struts and used Mike brackets to connect to strut to the 3/4" where the seat belts come in. Very pleased with this setup, looks great and holds the trunk up perfectly. FFR Kit # 16590 for those interested. You can see how the hinge changed with the different mounting point for the strut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like many I also went with CNC's triple reservoirs. I also installed Forte's hydraulic clutch system. One word of caution, if you stick with his master, be careful on how far your throw the slave out. Think max is 1.25 ish... over 1.75 and you can easily push the piston out and have a mess. Ask me how I know that one!
    Also make sure you have the proper play from the slave to the clutch fork at rest. I had a lot of back and forth trying to get it right. Pedal travel is pretty short, which works out well as my chassis still had the interference issue with the clutch pedal and the frame. I chose to notch out one small corner of the pedal and use a rubber stop so it doesn't go to the floor. So shorter pedal travel worked out just fine.
    For the CNC setup I made a bracket out of thicker aluminum, had it powder coated to match the frame. Bought the all black tubing, same and edwardb used on his 20th. Good quality stuff and think it looks nice. Have 3 angled chrome connectors on the bottom of the CNC's. Changed the screws on top to the SS button head, another great idea I got from edwardb build.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I ended up changes many things from the standard build I found the electrical to be one of the more time consuming parts. Lots of thinking, researching, planning and lots of just looking at the build! One tool I found particularly useful was this Pyramid Power Supply. Great safe and easy way to test your work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went with the Russ Thompson turn signal kit. Really a quality product. Again the wiring took some decent planning. I decided to use the button on the stock for the horn. For all my connections I used Ancor Marine heat shrink connectors and used their black heat shrink throughout the build. This is how I ended up wiring the turn signal kit. Installed a terminal block and attached it right on the edge of the under dash support panel. It's on with velcro so I can pull it down if needed. I made the dash removable (I hope I never have to) so there are connectors all around.

Post Thanks / Like
    700 Mile Update.
    Having some great weather in NYS this past weekend allowed my to really enjoy the car. Put the stereo on for the first time. Have a 400 watt amp, and while you can hear it, it's really overpowered with the sound of the exhaust. Was nice to have on the longer drive, kept the music pretty tame. Last thing I need is to put on GnR and wrap it around a tree! However more than happy just to hear the exhaust! As mentioned in a previous post my front ride height was a little high. 5" on passenger side and 4 3/4" on drivers. I've been slowly adjusting it down, so I'm at 4" in the front and the rear has settled from 5 to 4 3/8". Going to leave it there for now. One thing that I noticed was at first drive the car felt loose to me with the power steering, I didn't have the feel for the road I wanted and just too easy to turn. In addition the one issue I had to deal with was a power steering leak. Wasn't too easy to find, but finally traced it with Marks help to the top tube nut. Filed off some of the powder coating and only needed only about 1/4 of a turn to seal properly. That seems to have done the trick for now. I was running 23.4 psi all around, Mark suggested I drop the fronts to 22, which made a difference. I contacted the team at Jones Racing and asked about a valve to lower the pressure. Long story short they managed to get me a low flow valve. The current one I had the small opening was a #32 bit, the new one a #42 bit, specs were Open Flow 1.25 GPM, Max Pres 0.093" PSI. Installed the new valve and worked perfectly. There is much more feel now at lower speeds and car doesn't feel loose. So happy with that and looking forward to enjoying some more nice weather!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a Jones Racing front end. I was wondering about a lower flow power steering valve. Also, what mount are you using to allow your reservoir to clear the steering shaft? I've seen they have a higher mount power steering bracket... is that what you used?Mine was deep into interference, so had to go to a remote reservoir. This would be a much cleaner install.

Thanks...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I also have a Jones Racing front end. I was wondering about a lower flow power steering valve. Also, what mount are you using to allow your reservoir to clear the steering shaft? I've seen they have a higher mount power steering bracket... is that what you used?Mine was deep into interference, so had to go to a remote reservoir. This would be a much cleaner install.

Thanks...
    So I remember when working to spec the engine out I had a pretty hard time trying to find a power steering setup, spoke to all the top brands. I was also thinking external reservoir. In all the back and forth with Roush, they had started working on offering PS as an option with their crate engines. I know Roush makes the other brackets and pulleys custom in house, but not 100% sure about the PS, I'll ask them. I know the pump is a GM Type - II and the reservoir is from Jones Racing as they had a polished one. Regarding the low flow valve, I deal with Chris at Jones Racing (610) 847-2028, he was a great help, dealt with him on a few other things as my cap was leaking initially as well. When I received the engine I was pretty concerned it would interfere with the rack as well. Here are a few more photos. I have a little over an inch on the bottom, not a lot of room but enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the detailed pics. I have the same GM type II pump from Jones. Your PS pump mount is def Jones, and it is def their high mount. I have the lower mount and its OK, but not how I'd really like. It interferes hard with the pump mounted res, and I had to go remote. I'd like to do just as you and have the pump with attached reservoir, clearing the steering shaft. I see you are 351 based, so am I.

Thanks, you answered some long-standing questions I've had. So new bracket, pump & res, lo flow valve, Breeze lines and fittings, maybe new belt... $$$
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast