BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so I'm estimating about $2100 in tools to build a FFR MKIV

Post Thanks / Like
    right. More is better. However, I'm fine with it. I'm not bothered enuf to determine the stresses on it (BSME). I'll let you know if it ever fails (grin)
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

2. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd get under it. If it was my ~7.000 pound Ram 2500 not so much.

Jeff

4. Likes toadster liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should consider raising it another five feet so you can walk under it and installing casters. Probably need ramps but it would be just like a real lift, they have ramps too.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

6. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    You should consider raising it another five feet so you can walk under it and installing casters. Probably need ramps but it would be just like a real lift, they have ramps too.
    THAT gentlemen is Comedy Gold!

If there is interest, I'll put a dial indicator under the wood, and lift a wheel up to see how many thousands of an inch it is deflecting. Remember, 2200 Ibs divided by four wheels. I doubt it is measurable.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    As a millwright (most of you reading this will have to look that craft up) I used dunnage (yes that's a real word) in creative ways to shore up very heavy equipment much higher than what you're doing Ken. To most it will look kinda hokey and unsafe but done right it serves the purpose. Been working under tens of tons of equipment set on wooden blocks and no problem. And I'm more risk averse than most here.

Rock on brother. But when your body wracks up the mileage mine has (or maybe it's not the mileage but the rough roads) you won't want to work on your back and the cost of a lift will seem more attractive.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    I printed off the list also and have been buying a few items that I don't already have in anticipation of building one, but I probably already had 75% of the tools.
    I can't imagine anyone starts one of these builds that doesn't own a single tool.
    Some of those prices seem high too, $80 for a set of screwdrivers is a little much
    This is me. I am planning on getting my garage set up this year and ready to start building the following year. I'm actually excited to buy tools! I have a basic wrench set and all the basic stuff you would need to do modest home repairs. I have about 20% of whats on the list already.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a working dealership tech at the time of my good tool were at work. I only had basic hand tools at home. Borrowed the engine hoist from work and the flair tool from Auto zone (because it was aweekend). The only thing I bought was an air riveter. You do not need to spend a lot on tools inless you want. Now that I am no longer working as tech. I have more at home for the next build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Air riveter is definitely my favorite tool I bought for the build.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

12. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Supprised I’m the first to this, but some times especially for a first time builder the best tools and best loan a tool you can get are some local FFR guys, lol. Some tools are nice but things like a good Eastwood flair tool can often be borrowed as you’ll not use it much after the lines are made. Are they nice to have, sure. Like me I have many tools. But I’m always willing to help too. If you want to get the tools go for it, if your on a budget or would like the friends or both find some local guys and gals building some FFR’s and make it a social thing. I’m sure some one will have the tools you need and often they have great ideas too. Plus the extra hands often come in handy during parts of the build.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised that more was not made of the idea of buying second hand tools. There are lots of great deals out there for the savvy buyer, some brand new even, all for the fraction of new.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    any thoughts on jack stand pads for UNDER the jack? I have rubber tops to protect the frame, but are there good pads to use to protect my new epoxy floor?

I think these Camco pads will work pretty well...

Camco 44600 Universal Flex Pads for Leveling Blocks, 8.5” x 8.5”
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in a similar position. Have been buying-up tools and prepping the garage for the past 6-months or so. Hoping to pull the trigger on a kit in the next few months. Getting the garage ready has been half the fun.

17. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have enough tools that I just started building and bought only what I needed as I went along. The only thing I bought ahead of time was the air riveter.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    any thoughts on jack stand pads for UNDER the jack? I have rubber tops to protect the frame, but are there good pads to use to protect my new epoxy floor?

I think these Camco pads will work pretty well...

Camco 44600 Universal Flex Pads for Leveling Blocks, 8.5” x 8.5”
    I'd be concerned by the 'flex' in the name. They don't specify what they are made of but I'd prefer a piece of plywood to protect your floor.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the epoxy floor is worth its salt, a jack stand is not going to damage it. A good epoxy can withstand warehouse traffic such as fork lifts and loaders. Just avoid sliding it around and set into place.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

21. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an epoxy floor and use steel jack stands a lot. No problem. But I'd be very concerned setting the jack stands on an elastomer that will flex as this will not provide a sturdy base. Padding on the top to protect the frame or axle is not a problem but I would not use it on the base.

23. Likes toadster liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, I ordered them as they had a deal - they're the perfect size for the HF jacks, the only issue is that they're hard enough to be slippery! If I could rough up the surface, it would work great, but I think i'll pass for now... would add another inch of rise to the jacks as well which would be less to hunch over... oh well, caveat emptor!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12