Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Upper Steer Shaft Too Long

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 Upper Steer Shaft Too Long

Seem to have run into an issue with my steering column. I installed the lower shaft unit through the flange bearing on the foot box. But now with the upper column, I slide it through the pillow bearing, but only about 2" (first recess) goes in before it gets very tight. I still have another 3" before the second recess. I have 7.75" of steering shaft on the drivers side pillow block, which seems about the right distance. If I hammer the shaft to get the 2nd recess in, I'll have less than 5" of steering column in the cockpit. Does that sound right?

IMG_0852.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be snug but able to slide together without hammering. Measure (with calipers) both parts, shaft and slot, and check for burrs. Measure the flats and round shape. You can sand/fine a little if needed, or cal FF for a replacement part.

Did you install the conical washers in the first set of recessions? If so, leave them out for now while while trying the initial fit.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-30-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    As Ducky said, don't hammer it. I did and it got all jacked up. I asked FFR for a replacement. Really shouldn't take more than a slight tap tap to move it, even with the conical washers in place. More than likely you'll have to adjust a bit when you put your steering wheel on, so it needs to move easily.

Also, test the rotation of your steering shaft. If it catches on the 2" beam then you'll need washers at the pillow block to raise it up a little. My instructions still had the old pillow block location and didn't mention that.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. Realized now that the upper shaft will slide into the lower shaft easily. The issue instead is the upper shaft stopping at the pillow bearing. It slides through fine with the portion of the shaft that's been milled to go into the lower shaft, but as soon as the round shaft portion gets to the bearing, it stops. Seems like that may be by design, but then I still have about 3" left before the 2nd recess goes into the lower shaft. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    As in post #2, take some fine sandpaper and clean up the shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Overly simple question, but have you backed out BOTH the set screws on the bearing? Also, my upper steering shaft surface rusted after I installed it, so you might consider a very light coat of clear before you install for good after you make things fit.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    As in post #2, take some fine sandpaper and clean up the shaft.
    Ditto On The Sand Paper Column Clean Up.

I used 600 grit to clean mine up then put some wheel bearing grease on on the sucker and slid it in.

Remember to make sure you put the little spring washers in too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies. Inspecting the shaft more closely, there's a very small burr where the machining stopped on the sidecuts. Barely see it, but can feel it. I'll sand that off and go over the whole thing with 600 grit as suggested. Very much appreciate the guidance!