BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Hello, all! Researching a future build

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, all! Researching a future build

Hi everyone-

I'm currently in Bellevue, WA, thinking about moving/retiring to (probably) Vegas in a couple years, where I hope to start a build. I've been wanting to an MK4 for quite a while, but the early version of the GTF looks pretty hot!

If I go with an MK4, I'm torn between using a Coyote engine (I have a Roush blown '11 Mustang GT daily driver) or one of the more traditional builds. For the GTF, I'd almost certainly use a Coyote.

If anyone has some thoughts, I'd love to hear them. In the meantime, I'll probably mostly just lurk in the fora.

-Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a MK1 and a GTM if you want to see them. im thinking about selling the GTM. im about an hour south of you in Olympia by cabelas

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! If I'm heading your way, I'll ping you.

Post Thanks / Like

coyote

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRSchmidt View Post
    Hi everyone-

I'm currently in Bellevue, WA, thinking about moving/retiring to (probably) Vegas in a couple years, where I hope to start a build. I've been wanting to an MK4 for quite a while, but the early version of the GTF looks pretty hot!

If I go with an MK4, I'm torn between using a Coyote engine (I have a Roush blown '11 Mustang GT daily driver) or one of the more traditional builds. For the GTF, I'd almost certainly use a Coyote.

If anyone has some thoughts, I'd love to hear them. In the meantime, I'll probably mostly just lurk in the fora.

-Paul
    well i'll give you my opinion of the Coyote in the roadster as a non-wrenching driver, definitely NOT as a builder.

It sounds great with the FFR headers....wicked cold starts and absolutely screams with WOT, but while cruising you can have a conversation with your passenger no problem. i think with any transmission setup you'll be under 2k RPM in top gear at 65mph.

it's power delivery is very smooth and it is on tap pretty much anywhere in the rev band. the coyote does not have a reputation as a low-end torque monster but in a 2300lb car it's a different story. it feels like the fastest car I have ever driven and I have not gotten anywhere near it's limits.

i also love knowing it is going to start, idle perfectly, and run without overheating issues every time I turn the key.

5. Thanks PaulRSchmidt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome
    If your a Roush fan, here’s an option for you. If you go to build school which is definitely worth it, you can go to the Roush factory 20 minutes down the road for a tour and talk to the builders.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

7. Likes PaulRSchmidt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similar question was asked a few weeks ago with lots of responses. Take a look: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ndianapolis-IN
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

9. Thanks PaulRSchmidt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vegas... HOT!..... Something with air conditioning!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Vegas... HOT!..... Something with air conditioning!
    I know, I know. But it checks all of our other boxes....

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading some of the other threads, I'm very much leaning toward the Coyote even for the Roadster based on driveability, etc, but as an old-school American muscle car fan, can I get a deep burbly sound out of it? All of the Coyote Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust are buzzy and poppy.

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading some of the other threads, I'm very much leaning toward the Coyote even for the Roadster based on driveability, etc, but as an old-school American muscle car fan, can I get a deep burbly sound out of it? All of the Coyote Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust are buzzy and poppy.
    I promise you, nobody will ever mistake the sound of the Coyote with FFR or Gas-N side pipes for a Mustang. Totally different sound.

I love the sound I get from my Gen 2 Coyote with Gas-N pipes at every RPM range. That being said, it idles smooth. It growls when you put your foot into it, but If you want that rumbling, loping, raw sound at idle, go old school.

It may be possible to tune a Coyote for a loping idle or even change cams... I'll leave that to others.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

14. Thanks PaulRSchmidt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...can I get a deep burbly sound out of it? All of the Coyote Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust are buzzy and poppy.
    Coyotes in the roadster (and Coupe) sound entirely different than they do in a Mustang. Additionally they are different from one another depending on the exhaust configuration---I've had cars in the shop that used 4 into 4s with FFR pipes, J-pipes into FFR pipes, 4 into 4s into Gas-N sidepipes and J-pipes with Gas-N and the variation is significant (if anybody cares my personal preference is 4 into 4s with Gas-N )

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just remember that engine type and configuration has a lot to do with the equation so things like compression, displacement and cam specs really come into play.

We've got three guys in my area, in addition to me, and we all have the same pipes. They are running 4 into 4's while I've got a 3" collector and a 3/8" clover leaf in between my headers and pipes.

From Mild to Wild they are shown below regarding the level of ear hurting that is taking place:

Aaron 331 SBF
    Donny 396 Ford Edsel (FE Big Block)
    Heath 351 SBF Windors
    Me 383 SBC (Dart)

I really think that a Coyote will sound a lot different, but I don't think it will sound very buzzy, poppy or anyway near tin can like.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As several have said, a Coyote in one of these doesn't sound anything like a Mustang. All due respect to my Mustang buddies, I consider that a good thing. Will also point out that the Gen 3 Coyote (2018+) sounds more aggressive than the Gen 2. Just posted these videos earlier this week of the Gen 3 Coyote running in my Coupe build. Turn up the volume!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24kZChAlKeI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCdUdj6n3eM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHHqadaREs

As already stated, different sidepipes and different headers can alter the sound some. These videos are with prototype Coupe Gas-N headers and sidepipes. But it sounded similar with Roadster Gas-N headers and sidepipes that I used during the first starts. Sounds a bit deeper and angrier than the GP Headers and Gas-N sidepipes in my Gen 2 powered Roadster.

Most typical Coyote tunes, including what I've used, don't have a big lope at idle and have to say I'm pretty much over that. But it is possible to to do something called a "Ghost tune" where they move the cams around and produce a similar sound. Most tuners offer them. Not my thing but it's possible. This in a Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5rAQMJfY0.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-02-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

18. Thanks PaulRSchmidt thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just posted these videos earlier this week of the Gen 3 Coyote running in my Coupe build. Turn up the volume!
    That sounds great! Thanks for those. I’m pretty sold at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds great! Thanks for those. I’m pretty sold at this point.
    Thanks. Glad you like it. Just to be clear though, that's a Gen 3 Coyote (2018+) which is relatively new on the scene. There are a couple builds using it that I'm aware of. But nearly all the builds on here will be either Gen 1 (2011-2014) or Gen 2 (2015-2018) with Gen 2 maybe being a little more typical at this point. The Gen 2 in my Roadster doesn't sound quite as angry as the Gen 3 videos I posted. But either way, it's a great choice. Good luck.

21. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I intend to try out the ghost cam for a while. It's only enabled when the engine is at full temperature and idle. As soon as you start to accelerate, the computer phases the cams back to normal.

It seems like many modded Mustangs these days have a specific exhaust note that I associate (right or wrong) with SpinTech mufflers, and the tone isn't to my liking. I grew up on cherry bomb glass packs, so any 'shaping' or tone control doesn't sound right to me. Just give me a deep, rumbling bass.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

23. Likes PaulRSchmidt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby