Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: MK4 Windshield Installation: Tips, Myths, and Realities

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

MK4 Windshield Installation: Tips, Myths, and Realities

First off, I apologize for the cheesy topic title but I got your attention, right? I am now planning for my windshield installation and I have read or otherwise taken in a lot of information and I wanted to see if I could get a consensus on what can be done, what should be done, and what can be ignored.

Replace the brass insert with Whitby's SS inserts
    Do people consider this a "must-have" or just a nice upgrade? I "ordered" a set on their website a week ago, which just seems to be a form that sends someone an email. I have had no contact since about payment nor did I receive a reply to my email asking for the status. Should I keep trying to see if/when I could get these, or should I just continue with the brass inserts and be careful not to strip the threads?

Carefully measure each screw and file off material to ensure it does not bottom out on the glass
    This was advice I received at the build school. From looking at the frame it appears that there is a metal strip underneath the brass insert here so it would be impossible for the screws to touch the glass. I suppose it could still put pressure on the glass at that point and be an area where a crack could form. Is this good advice or not? I did attempt to measure the length of the screw as it extends from the sidebar and how much room is available from the edge of the frame to the bottom of the threaded hole. I checked with my calipers and it varies but it does look like I could file off about .02" from each screw to avoid it bottoming out.

Instead of drilling sidebars to 1/2" hole, drill and tap for 1/2" x 13 threads
    This one actually sounds like a really good idea to me to make it easier to get the bolts in place and tightened down without needing 3 hands. Worth it?

Use some paint sticks to keep the windshield frame off the fiberglass body
    The instructions don't mention this, but I have seen this is what others do. Is this good advice or unnecessary? Seems this could prevent a good seal with the weatherstripping, but I dunno.

Setting the angle to 53 degrees
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the suggested angle of the windshield is 53 degrees, especially if any plans to add the soft top in the future. From what I understand the best way to get this angle is to measure 27 inches from the corner of the cockpit above the door latches to the top screw in the windshield bracket. Is this the angle and method most use to reach it?

Shimming the sidebars to meet the body mounts
    I've read that you do not want to tighten down the bolts causing the sidebars to pull into the body mount. It looks like body shims that can be slipped right over the bolts are the most recommended here. Can I get by with a single width, such as 1/8" or what is recommended?

Cut "this much" off the sidebars before you mount them to save you some time
    This was advice given at the build school, and I did measure the pieces they cut off, but can't find my notes. How much could/should I cut off each sidebar to avoid having to insert, measure, and remove the windshield before cutting the side bars? Can I just cut it at a right angle, or should it be cut at the same angle as the final windshield position (53 degrees) ?

Well that is about all I have compiled on the windshield installation at this point. I appreciate any advice and input.
    Last edited by shark92651; 07-31-2019 at 04:13 PM.