Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: New 818 news from FFR?

Post Thanks / Like

New 818 news from FFR?

I'm back after being gone for a long while and just looked in on the 818. It doesn't look like much has been going on. Any recent news from FFR? How many kits have they built and shipped?
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beuller?....

Wow, not one reply. Is it really that dead around here?
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Beuller?....

Wow, not one reply. Is it really that dead around here?
    There where 10 threads posted to already today.
    I think 818 production is in the mid 500s.
    A lot of FFR efforts is going into the GTF supercar.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    re. FFR >It doesn't look like much has been going on<
    Consider yourself up to date.
    Activity on the forum seems pretty average, though.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    The only news, other than what's been said, is what Dave said when he announced last year that FFR wouldn't attend the Huntington Beach car show this year. Basically saying they will be very busy developing there products for SEMA. I read that as they would be going " dark" until November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    The only news, other than what's been said, is what Dave said when he announced last year that FFR wouldn't attend the Huntington Beach car show this year. Basically saying they will be very busy developing there products for SEMA. I read that as they would be going " dark" until November.
    ...and November is drawing ever closer!!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I took delivery of #569, an 818C, in April.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if we are only on #569, than yeah, 818 sales are pretty slow. I think this is obvious also by the relative lack of attention it gets from the factory (I cant remember last time an 818 was featured for just about any reason). When I bought my kit, I had really hoped that this car was going to catch on and benefit form a vibrant aftermarket and semi-regular factory revision/improvement. It seemed to be the case for a while, but I dont see it any more.

I truly hope FFR attempts to breathe some life back into the 818. I would love to see a slightly improved soft top design (maybe a couple of more hoops to smooth out its shape when closed?), an new wing/aero bits option maybe? An improved interior? (better matched dash to door panel design). Symmetri-sized hood? T-top? Aftermarket seat brackets? 3/5 point harness mount kit? New styled rear/tailight option? Really, just about anything that would indicate that they are still behind the design and concept.

My car is not finished....it is near the point where it will have to visit the special vehicle inspection facility. Maybe folks like me who have taken an inordinate amount of time to finish the car are part of the problem.....

Post Thanks / Like
    They need to update all features to the next model year of the subaru impreza. JMHO
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I just signed up to give my input on this

I'm a potential future buyer, literally their target market for the 818. Early 30s, a Subaru guy (prev had an STI for 9 years or so), want to start with a less expensive kit as my first one

Ideally I want to seriously start the process in a bit over a year, the main things that would make me hesitant are that it's becoming less common to find 06/07 WRX models, especially in Canada, that are worth the parts, and I think it's due for a small styling refresh. Moving to the next generation of WRX would be great and even to the 2014+ would be amazing since everyone is wrecking them

Hope to hear updates over the next year ��

11. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the 818 needs alternative drive train options. Like a transverse Honda/Ford/ Toyota/VW setup as well as the Subaru setup. This IMO would allow for more sales. Just my 2-cents worth.

13. Likes Hobby Racer, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the 818 needs some updates. Each year the cars needed for this project get older, more miles, and worse shape. It would be great to be able to order a larger version that you could drop in a 6 and have more room for the driver. Having the option of a complete kit would also be great.

From F5s point of view, they probably would have liked to be further along with there new car and had a body to show at SEMA. They have a new line of bodies for the Hot Rod, and would have liked to be able to show more of them with frames to fit. And then there was their PR SEMA information where there did not seem to be any that made headlines. But they did show that they are building a new building, that would definitely impact their budget for other projects and travel.

With all of this, we would realistically expect further development on the 818 after the new building is complete and some of the other major projects to be completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    IMO the 818 needs alternative drive train options. Like a transverse Honda/Ford/ Toyota/VW setup as well as the Subaru setup. This IMO would allow for more sales. Just my 2-cents worth.
    I agree that allowing more, or even any, other bolt-in powertrain options besides the WRX engines would be a big improvement to the platform. Sadly, I think that would require a near complete redesign of the chassis to allow and would probably end up requiring the ditching of the WRX as a donor entirely because of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt think about it untill now.... There was no 818 at SEMA that i saw! I like the 818 and would like to build one! Although it seems that 818 posts have slowed a bit from a couple of years ago??

Am i mistaken, i thought i read that other engines typically would be taller and creates some engineering issues?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    I didnt think about it untill now.... There was no 818 at SEMA that i saw! I like the 818 and would like to build one! Although it seems that 818 posts have slowed a bit from a couple of years ago??

Am i mistaken, i thought i read that other engines typically would be taller and creates some engineering issues?
    Your right, FFR built an 818C using a Ford Ecoboost engine. They had to build a coupe because the engi e wouldn't fit under the roadster hood.
    Since then, the aftermarket has developed a dry sump for the Ecoboost that might solve that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's my opinion that FFR has stopped putting any resources towards additional development of the 818. They haven't shown anything new for the model in a longtime. They absence of efforts to campaign it at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge or SEMA confirms my thoughts IMHO. It's unfortunate that it didn't seem to pan out how we all hoped.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know we're the red head step child of the family when they don't even have an 818 T shirt...
    My kid made me some very cool ones last year for Christmas

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    It's my opinion that FFR has stopped putting any resources towards additional development of the 818. They haven't shown anything new for the model in a longtime. They absence of efforts to campaign it at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge or SEMA confirms my thoughts IMHO. It's unfortunate that it didn't seem to pan out how we all hoped.
    I agree, I think they have really abandoned the 818. It had a great initial push thanks to a huge Subaru fan-base, but I think they severely under delivered on what everyone was expecting and never really picked up steam outside of the already established Subaru crowd. I know they were going for lightweight and nimble, but if they had just made it about five inches longer and 3 inches wider it would be far more comfortable as a non-track car, and would be more easily adapted to taller engines without throwing off the look so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to retract my last post.... I see ffr requested owners 818's for SEMA.

And after this thread, it seems there are 818 threads poping up!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    The challenge with updating to the next gen WRX is that the suspension is different. It would require a lot of work and I don't think they're quite seeing the business volume they wanted. The failure to deliver paint free body panels bumps up the finish cost and time quite a bit. Most people that have money to blow on a kit car are older than the general Subaru crowd and go for the GTM or roadster.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    New mid-engine Vette is going to overall hurt the kit car industry as well. No longer will a GTM/SLC be the cheapest way to get into a mid-engine V8 car. Those who love the build will still be buying kits, but those who were after the car will now have a cheaper alternative with no work and a higher level of fit and finish. This means that a significant revenue stream that is established is going to drop off, further impacting the cash available for updates on a low selling model.

24. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read the writing on the wall, or shirts on the wall in this case. FF isn't really producing any clothing with pictures of the 818 not really pushing any accessories and haven't really been doing updates. In fact when i was up there a few weeks ago even thier 818 in the showroom really needs a lot of attention that its not getting. the mid engine vette with warranty and production quality parts and finish really will end the GTM era which im sure will hurt income. i still feel they get most roadster builders and really are pushing thier 33 hot rod and trucks lately which still has a much bigger fan base than us 818 guys. I looked at the 818 as an intro (low cost) way to break into the kit car building. I just WISHED it wasn't a problematic WRX platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many subaru meets such as wicked big meat where they should have had a presence but have not that might help get the car some more attention