BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air dams

Post Thanks / Like

Air dams

Hi,

My use is for around town and an occasional track day or auto cross.

I am wondering if there are any air dams that are adjustable so I can use it around town and then lower it for the track. I like the look of them for every day use and then the effectiveness on the track. I saw the DWC splitter and may also put that on but it sounds like a air dam is more effective.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Dark Water air dam a while back. Easy to install, easy to adjust. Created a lot of down force, and allowed for higher cornering speeds. BUT, it also created a lot of drag, and decreased my lap times on the bigger tracks. I took it off, and I think it's still in my basement somewhere.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking about this too. Over 100mph the car isn't as stable. I saw on facebook a guy got an air dam or front spoiler and rear diffuser. He said it's night and day over 100mph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoilers and splitters are much more efficient than dams. I have seen these Backdraft spoilers fitted to the FFR body. The results are said to be good. For a street car, this would be my first choice.

https://www.iconicparts.com/front-spoiler.html
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking. Wonder about driveways & speed bumps though.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I made one 10+ years ago using 1" square aluminum tubing and 3/8" thick conveyor belt rubber. The metal frame ends 2" or so above the rubber so that it can deflect if necessary which rarely happens.

It uses 2 pins and 2 thumbscrews to attach and can be put on or removed in one minute. The rear struts are intentionally sacrificial so that it can hinge/fold under with a hard impact such as digging in during an off track excursion (thankfully untested!). Dig around with a search on the other forum and you should find a write up with some photos that I posted when I made it.

I experienced much the same as Bob...it helps plant the front at triple digits but you can feel the additional drag at that speed.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    For autocross, you need pretty big high angle spoilers / wings to be reasonably effective. They would be pretty silly looking on the street. Most autocross is a 2nd gear, less than 70mph event. Look at what they run at SCCA national Solo. It looks like they stole parts off of a sprint car. The track is different.

Here is one of the fastest autocross cars that there is. They'd be sweet on a Cobra! LOL
    Solo-nationals-Perry-Bennett-ACME-Special.jpg

The track ones do look good. I am pretty much an old school look guy though.

I was going to do a Track Night in America at Daytona tonight, but had work stuff get int the way. It is pouring down rain anyway and there is no way I would run a high speed track with nothing but concrete walls in the rain in a Cobra. Watching footage, 140 is common and I saw 160. I am sure some aero would be a big help on the high banks. I was honestly sweating a little thinking about signing up.

What speed would you guys say these start getting light?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    What speed would you guys say these start getting light?
    100ish

I don't think an air dam such as mine really adds downforce so much as it prevents some of the air from getting under the car and lifting it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to remember is that ride height is going to play a big part in how/what the front air dam contacts. Kleiner runs his car pretty low as do I. I run mine 3-3.5" in the front and about 4" in the back. At that height my air dam was dragging on everything, it's no longer on the car.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    Spoilers and splitters are much more efficient than dams. I have seen these Backdraft spoilers fitted to the FFR body. The results are said to be good. For a street car, this would be my first choice.

https://www.iconicparts.com/front-spoiler.html
    I think this might be a good option along with lowering the car a bit more.

Thanks all,
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum