Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Join the Club - Broken Windshield

Post Thanks / Like
    If the data is accurate I'm glad I went with poly over acrylic:

poly comparison with acrylic.JPG
    MK IV Coyote Roadster
    "Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul."
    Rebecca West
    Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...TKO600-and-IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    If the data is accurate I'm glad I went with poly over acrylic:

poly comparison with acrylic.JPG
    Pretty interesting. You went with 1/4" Poly? That must have been challenging and expensive.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    When did I say or indicate in any way that I did that? Im commenting on that chart showing the strength of those materials. They compared of one to of the others. If the properties change unexpectedly at other thicknesses my bad. Not meant to offend, theres nothing wrong with Acrylic, same as there is nothing wrong with glass. Im just pleased with my choice.
    MK IV Coyote Roadster
    "Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul."
    Rebecca West

Post Thanks / Like
    No offence taken. The comparison you posted compared materials of the same thickness. I only assumed that you were able to use 1/4" poly for the same application.

I primarily went with the 1/4" acrylic due to the fact that it could be properly formed in the same shape as the glass that came with my Mk4. My windshield is as rigid as was my glass windshield and I get zero deflection at any speed.

I do understand that poly is quite able to absorb much greater impacts but I was not happy with the properties of 1/8" Lexan when exposed to vibration and high wind forces. While the acrylic is not as strong as poly it is stronger than the FFR glass and with the hardcoat just as scratch resistant.

As I stated when I updated this thread, my intent was not to argue the benefits of one vs the other. It was just to offer an alternative.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Understood. Thanks for the clarification. I do see the advantages of acrylic, but my concern with doing anything not approved by the DOT is why is it not approved? And what is the risk? That’s why I have been interested in discussing the merits of each. I’m still not totally convinced that Polycarbonate is the material you want in the windshield in a crash. I did finally base my decision to install polycarbonate, over DOT approved safety glass, on the fact that polycarbonate is what is used in racing. Beautiful car you have there, by the way.
    MK IV Coyote Roadster
    Rebecca West

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    ...I do see the advantages of acrylic, but my concern with doing anything not approved by the DOT is why is it not approved? And what is the risk?...
    It's quite simple really; bash your head into a windshield made of DOT safety glass the windshield shatters. Bash your head into a windshield made of acrylic your head shatters.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    It's quite simple really; bash your head into a windshield made of DOT safety glass the windshield shatters. Bash your head into a windshield made of acrylic your head shatters.

Jeff
    Totally true Jeff but not all of us are equipped with your snapping turtle telescoping neck. My head stays in the vicinity of my shoulders at all times.

Mario

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12