Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Donut Kit Car Video - Great Review

Post Thanks / Like

Donut Kit Car Video - Great Review

Thought someone might want to watch this. Factory Five is mentioned a few times and Donut is right on the money with his video. Good for first time buyers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7mHgBlBERU
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod, toadster, GoDadGo, GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Donut is right on the money with his vide....
    They should be. They interviewed me over the phone for more than an hour. They used all of my quote and gave me no mention. Guess they were a bit upset when I told them hard pass on a shop tour when they insisted I be tested for Covid. My shop, my rules.
    Frank

4. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    They should be. They interviewed me over the phone for more than an hour. They used all of my quote and gave me no mention. Guess they were a bit upset when I told them hard pass on a shop tour when they insisted I be tested for Covid. My shop, my rules.
    Frank,

I almost became a new fan of this young man until I saw your post.
    As my father would tell me often "Beggars Can't Be Choosers" so I agree with you completely.
    It was a fun content video nonetheless and I'm glad that at least a few youngsters are interested in the car hobby.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-20-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Wow, that's bad form on both accounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did bristle a bit when he said "lets be honest, cobra's can be a bit Boomery".

I'm 46
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

8. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't finish watching it. It was more about him listening to himself talk.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

10. Likes FLPBFoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved it! Puts a very good light on FFR.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    "...A good portion of the kit assembly is more like building Ikea furniture than it is being a mechanic. You just gotta follow the steps..." <cringe>
    A very small portion of our kit assembly has been anything like putting together knock-down furniture. This has meant many more headaches than anticipated. It's also going to be a source of pride when we're done. There's no "insert Tab A into Slot B" in these things.

13. Likes GoDadGo, rsw81 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    "...A good portion of the kit assembly is more like building Ikea furniture than it is being a mechanic. You just gotta follow the steps..." <cringe>
    A very small portion of our kit assembly has been anything like putting together knock-down furniture. This has meant many more headaches than anticipated. It's also going to be a source of pride when we're done. There's no "insert Tab A into Slot B" in these things.
    Amen Sir Fletch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    I did bristle a bit when he said "lets be honest, cobra's can be a bit Boomery".

I'm 46
    LOL....Although I'm not a Boomer (51), I felt the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post

I'm 46
    38 here, didn't know that qualified.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 45 and I have no nostalgia for Cobras. My dad liked cars but didn't share much of his interest with me. So I suppose I'm a bit out of the norm here. My interest in the 818 isn't because of a draw toward classic cars, per se (that's probably obvious since it's an 818), but rather the experience of making a vehicle I can enjoy and truly call my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    No boomer here (42), and I took no offense to the video. At the end of the day, I have a kick a$$ car that I love, that turns heads, and that hardcore car guys high five each other over. You don't really appreciate a self built car unless you've been in that position. I'm not so worried what others think of my "kit car".

19. Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a way, the originals were "kits."

Shelby didn't "build" the cars, he "bought" them and stuffed new iron into them.

Kinda like buying a FFR and stuffing new iron into it.

I'm a Boomer, so I appreciate the nostalgia. That and Dad CB was Ford dealer in GA who also sold the full Shelby line. I got my first ride in an original 260 slabside when I was 12. In an original 427 street car at 14. I've been hooked ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    No nostalgia for Cobras here either. My goal was to build a car from the frame up. And if you're going to do that, it may as well be a cool car. Not many cars as cool as an F5 Roadster.

Too bad the great PR for F5 is marred by failing to credit one of our generous & revered contributors. Frank, thanks for your help to everyone; my car is better for your efforts.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Lots of thoughts going through my little brain. I liked the video and understand all the comments about it. Yes, I fit into the "boomer" category. No, I didn't build my roadster because I had always wanted a cobra. Truth be told, my favorite cars were 66-67 GTOs and C2 Corvettes. I agree with John - the key was building a really cool car. Now, I'm totally into the whole Cobra thing. I'm more or less an end-goal person rather than a process-oriented person, but the process of building my car here was key. Donut boy made some good points, although I'm not happy about how he treated Frank.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so we're clear, Joey Rassool from Donut reached out to me on the Factory 5 Family page that my wife and I run. He said from the get go that he was not really interested in the Roadster (Cobra) offerings or even the Hotrods. His (Donut) only interest was the 818. Since their production team is based here in SoCal I offered him/them to visit the shop to, at the very least, give them a look at the quality of the F5R chassis and the completeness of the given kits. I let him know that rarely do I get an 818 in the shop. I pulled the plug on the whole thing before I sent them any picture, video or other media. This is not the first time I've been approached by a production team for something like this. I always get the feeling from these people like they are doing me some kind of favor by "allowing me to be in their production". When I met my wife, she was part of the entertainment and music industry. We know how this works. I have no problem sharing my experience of Factory Five products and automotive knowledge in general to anyone interested. Anything to further the car hobby. I'm not in this for fame and fortune.............. Well, maybe for fortune. LOL. I just love building awesome cars and sharing them with everyone. This is definitely a new generation of car builders. My Youtube playlist includes many younger car enthusiasts and most of the tuners I follow on YT are young as well. There is hope for the car hobby moving forward. The interview honestly was months ago, during the height of Covid and I figured they had shelved the episode after all of this time had past. I hadn't even heard of Donut Media before they contacted me. True story.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see how they only had primary interest in the 818. In many respects, its the car that I see most resembles what a lot of the younger kids are interested in, which are high tech imports. That said, it may have missed its mark there, as the bulk of the comments I get on my Cobra, are from the 25 and under crowd. In their world, it might as well be a caveman witnessing his first campfire.

Either way, I am happy that the hobby will remain healthy, despite the choice of cars. I have a 16 year old kid neighbor just a few houses down from me that mods go karts with turbos and all kinds of crazy stuff. You can just see the wheels turning on how he's going to make it faster. He just bought a used 350Z to tinker with. Sadly, my son is not in that category, but there are enough out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I can see how they only had primary interest in the 818. In many respects, its the car that I see most resembles what a lot of the younger kids are interested in, which are high tech imports. That said, it may have missed its mark there, as the bulk of the comments I get on my Cobra, are from the 25 and under crowd. In their world, it might as well be a caveman witnessing his first campfire.

Either way, I am happy that the hobby will remain healthy, despite the choice of cars. I have a 16 year old kid neighbor just a few houses down from me that mods go karts with turbos and all kinds of crazy stuff. You can just see the wheels turning on how he's going to make it faster. He just bought a used 350Z to tinker with. Sadly, my son is not in that category, but there are enough out there.
    Same, we just hired a 21 year old tech at work, he likes to tinker with motorcycles and built his own. He saw my screen saver (cradle shot) and started asking questions. I showed him some of your guys completed cars and the only 2 words that kept coming out of his mouth was “bad” and “***”.

Sexy is sexy.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Interestingly this exact topic came up when Frankeeski and I were having our weekly phone chat last Sunday. We both seem to be hearing from a surprising number of new Factory Five customers who find themselves perplexed/shocked/disappointed when they discover that things don't always follow the IKEA or Lego methods that they expected. As our pal Jeff Miller so accurately stated years ago "There is a difference between being an assembler and being a builder."

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Interestingly this exact topic came up when Frankeeski and I were having our weekly phone chat last Sunday. We both seem to be hearing from a surprising number of new Factory Five customers who find themselves perplexed/shocked/disappointed when they discover that things don't always follow the IKEA or Lego methods that they expected.

As our pal Jeff Miller so accurately stated years ago "There is a difference between being an assembler and being a builder."

Jeff
    Many of those projects seem to make their way to Ebay Motors where fit and finish issues clearly jump out at you.
    Yes, the cars are together; however, there are often tons of fitment issues that are clearly seen.
    Well-crafted cars seem to ooze with the builder's DNA and seldom sold.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-21-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 57. To avoid the Boomer label, I got an 818S and wear jeans with rips in them.

29. Likes GoDadGo, fletch, phileas_fogg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    I'm 57. To avoid the Boomer label, I got an 818S and wear jeans with rips in them.
    They've now renamed our age group (I'm 58) as Boomer II.
    I assume that is because most of our fathers had come home from the Korean War.
    That makes Gen-X Boomer III, Millenials, Boomer IV, and Gen Z Boomer V.

Gen Z........1997 – 2012 9 – 24
    Millennials..1981 – 1996 25 – 40
    Gen X........1965 – 1980 41 – 56
    Boomers II.1955 – 1964 57 – 66
    Boomers I..1946 – 1954 67 – 75
    Post War....1928 – 1945 76 – 93
    WW II........1922 – 1927 94 – 99
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-21-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built my 818 5 years ago at the age of 71 because I fit the demographic. I also thought it would make a good garage mate to my other kit car, a 1958 Series 1 Lotus 7, the 40th sold. Glad to see both mentioned in the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Many of those projects seem to make their way to Ebay Motors where fit and finish issues clearly jump out at you.
    Yes, the cars are together; however, there are often tons of fitment issues that are clearly seen.
    Well-crafted cars seem to ooze with the builder's DNA and seldom sold.
    Good or bad, many of those end up in my shop. In the end, the owners of those cars end up spending the same (if not more) having me get those cars to the level they originally thought the car was when they purchased them. I have one in my shop right now that fits that description. It too will be brought up to a better finished piece.
    Frank

33. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fun thread. I graduated from high school in 1979, but amazingly I'm only 39. Seriously, I think the avatar shows my brain was wired for the roadster a long time ago, we all come at it in different ways.

Frank's solidly in the middle of Custom country, not so for many of the rest of us. Here's a youngster who grew up in west central Minnesota and somehow had a brain wired for early Porsches. Not trying to boost the guy, so much as point out someone on the younger side who got obsessed about our hobby, and has an appreciation for the history. And honors the craft that is custom building. Probably not many folks who understood him out there in farm country as he persevered. Hopefully for every fanatic like him, there are a bunch more folks his age who will be future FFR customers. In fact, maybe he inspires a bunch of folks his age, and they think, "If I don't have $250k to plunk down on a bespoke automobile, how could I spend a small fraction of that and end up with something just as cool, 'cause I built it?" ... there you go.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought of Boomer as a bad thing, I mean we put men on the moon and nobody has been back. When the younger generations get people on Mars I’ll be impressed. I also think that the day these kits become easy will be the begging of the end. It’s the ingenuity, fabrication, effort and attention to detail that makes these cars valuable, you know, like going to the moon.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

36. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Boomer who never grew up. My next birthday cake will have a bunch of candles on it, but only 25 will get lit.

Think Calvin, without Hobbes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Those Donut guys do have numerous really interesting videos...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always gotten LOADS more thumbs-up's from younger people than from boomers.

Post Thanks / Like
    kinda funny he calls the Cobra "Boomery" because it's before his time but then in the "more interesting" section he's fine with the Caterham...
    Overall though, not a bad video that could spark some interest in a newbie to the hobby

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition